Weekly Planner for Substitutes

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by MrsPoppy, Nov 29, 2012.

1. MrsPoppy

MrsPoppy Rookie

Nov 29, 2012

I've discovered that no planner out there truly fits what I want from mine when it comes to subbing. So I've spent some time thinking it over, and designed one for myself that I'm taking to get spiral bound with a vinyl cover. I was just doing it for myself (I used to be a graphic designer). My husband looked at it and said I should sell it to other subs. :dunno: So here's my question: Would others like a planner made specifically for subs, and would they buy it if I posted it somewhere like amazon? It has 1 week per page with space for 2 subbing jobs per day (I know we all prefer full-days, but we take half when all else fails). The info on the page is District/School, Time, Grade/Subject, Teacher, Full/Half/Hours, and pay for each subbing assignment. There is also a section on each page for total days/hours worked for the week, and pay earned (w/option for 2 different pay dates, since some districts have different pay periods). I'm thinking about adding a summary page where you can list days/hours worked and pay by week. Is this something I should have made in multiples and sell, or should I just make one for myself? Depending on the cost to have it bound, I'm thinking $15-$20 each.

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 29, 2012

Put it on teacherpayteacher and see what happens...good luck!

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 29, 2012

I'm not a sub anymore...but when I was I went month by month...using one of those little pocket calendars to write all the details...then I created a 5x7 piece of paper that had all of the dates for the school year with 1 line for each pay period...i circled when i worked and put the total $ in the last column, it looked something like this (i didn't include weekends or days school was closed)...

sept 4 5 6 7 10 11 12 13 14 ___days = $___
    sept 19 20 21 24 25 27 28 ___ days = $___
    oct 1 2 3 4 5

5. MrsPoppy

MrsPoppy Rookie

Nov 29, 2012

Great idea

I don't know why I didn't think of that. I've gotten things there before. Maybe because I'm home sick :( today and my brain is only going half-speed. LOL. I guess that means I should wait until I feel better and proof-read my planner before having it bound! Thanks!

6. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 30, 2012

I just use a pocket date book that fits in my purse and write the job number, school, teacher, times and grades on them. After the day is over, I highlight each district in a different color so at the end of the pay period I can count the number of days each district owes me for. It works for me. I think everyone just works out their own system, but you never know what there is a market for.

7. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Nov 30, 2012

This district requires subbing applicants to be in at least their 3rd year of any bachelor's degree program. I plan on applying for sub jobs in my third year because I'll have over 200 hours of observation as well as a semester internship under my belt. That said, I'd buy your planner in a heartbeat. Nothing makes me happier than being organized! I also love TeachersPayTeachers and would buy from there before buying from Amazon.

8. rapture

rapture New Member

Dec 9, 2012

My question is: WHY WORRY ABOUT PLANNERS FOR SUBS? Subs, more than anything else, are expected to guard and supervise students. The Principal and AP could care less if you teach with or without your planner, folder, suitcase, etc.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2012

The OP is creating something to keep herself and her record keeping organized and to aide other subs in the same way. Why would you discourage her to that end? Schools DO VALUE organization, preparation and professionalism in subs...a good attitude is part of that.

Go for it, OP ! TpT is a great way to market your planner! I'm sure quite a few members here and other subs will love your product.:love:

10. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2012

Just do what the teacher leaves for you AND you'll be fine.
    The district I sub for now has evaluations by the teachers about how we do our jobs. They score you on...
    -Did I follow the plans?
    -Did I leave notes for her/him?
    -Did I have control of the class?
    There were some other things that dealt with how I did the job.
    Anyway, if you have a planner then it is GREAT because you can note down what you plan to do in case you NEED TO DO a filler for down time or TRANSITIONING time. There is nothing wrong with having a planner. Just remember that they don't want you to stray away from what the teachers NEED YOU TO DO! It will determine if you will have future sub jobs.
    At my last sub job, I just happened to bring a monkey in my bag, and the class was doing letter Mm. I used it, to get the children's attention and to bring them quickly to circle time, and the children loved it. I do take my bag of tricks with me, and it's always come in handy. I need to add a planner to it. It's a GREAT idea!
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 9, 2012

I think there would be a need for it! :) I may or may not have bought it back when I was subbing, but that doen't mean many other subs out there won't buy it. Go for it & good luck with selling it!

12. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Dec 15, 2012

Just remember that they don't want you to stray away from what the teachers NEED YOU TO DO! It will determine if you will have future sub jobs.
    At my last sub job, I just happened to bring a monkey in my bag, and the class was doing letter Mm. I used it, to get the children's attention and to bring them quickly to circle time, and the children loved it. I do take my bag of tricks with me, and it's always come in handy. I need to add a planner to it. It's a GREAT idea!
    Good luck,
    Rebel1[/QUOTE]

I don't believe the OP is talking about planning lessons or what to do on a given day. That is the classroom teacher's responsibility.

The fact is that subs are in different schools, different rooms and even different districts each day. My understanding of the "planner" in this thread is one that helps the sub keep track of where he/she needs to be each day and which district owes him/her money each pay period.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2012

I had a small one like a 5x7 calendar that was vinyl. I was going to school, so I kept my big assignments in there and then would write in another color my sub days... I like to use colors so different things stand out on my calendars.

14. MrsPoppy

MrsPoppy Rookie

Dec 25, 2012

This isn't the type of planner you're thinking. It's not for lesson plans, it is for me to log my future bookings. For instance, I'm already booked for 9 full days and 3 half days in January, plus every Monday, Tuesday plus Thursday mornings in February. There is no way I would be able, off the top of my head, to say "Yeah, Sue! I can sub for 4th grade on that date!" without looking at my planner to make sure I'm not already booked. This is to make sure my bookings are handy instantly so I can immediately tell when I'm scheduled to work.

As for the person who commented about no one caring if the sub is organized, I'm figuring you're probably not the recent victim of a disorganized sub. When I was teaching sixth grade, I WAS. It literally took me a week to figure out where the heck he had left everything, even though I had clearly labelled on every item exactly where it should go, and included labelled clips so that each hour's work could be clipped together and put in to the labelled trays, which I indicated on the sticky notes labeling each stack of worksheets, AND in my written plans. I have friends who were victims of disorganized subs who were specifically disorganized about their schedules, and so DIDN'T show up because they forgot they were booked, and picked up a booking at another school, too. If they'd had a good planner for keeping track of their bookings, and had actually filled it out, my friends would not have had issues with no-show subs.

15. MrsPoppy

MrsPoppy Rookie

Dec 25, 2012

It is actually up on TpT now, so anyone who's interested, look for my name on there "MrsPoppy". I'll be posting one for the school year instead of Calendar year sometime in the spring or summer, and it will be an August to July planner.