Weekly folder for graded work?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissaG, Jul 29, 2007.

1. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 29, 2007

In the past, I have used a Monday folder where I sent home all graded work from the previous week in the folder. I included my weekly newsletter and a spot for my comments and parent signature/comments. I have never had any major problem with this method, although there are the select few who NEVER got it signed no matter what approach I took. I also had parents sign but never look at the work. Also had kids pull out the 'bad' papers before getting home. We began stapling the work together making that difficult to do. I just had several parents that seemed out of the loop and shocked when report cards come home. I have considered not using this type of folder at all this year, so I am exploring all other options.

My question is: How do you handle sending home graded work? Do you require work under a certain percentage to be signed individually and brought back? If you do a weekly folder, what day do you do it? What are the pros/cons have you had with system you use?

3. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

I'll be interested in the responses to this thread, as I'm deciding how to do my graded work now.

In the past, I sent home a packet on Fridays, with a newsletter.
    Last year, I sent home work as it was graded, partly because I was tired of being "tied down" to a certain day to send it all home.
    This year, I'm thinking of doing an envelope to be signed & emptied on a certain day (probably Monday) because many of the papers I sent home in the regular "home & back" folders last year stayed in the folders way too long & just made a mess!

4. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

I only send home tests to be signed. In the top righthand corner of the student's test, I write their current class average to keep the parents informed. The students have three days to get the tests back signed before they receive a conduct mark.

I teach 5th grade math all day so I have six classes. I have an "incentive" going where the first homeroom to get all tests back to me signed gets a small prize. That usually gets me almost 90% of the tests back within a day or two.

If a student doesn't return the test within four days, I call home. It usually only takes one call because most kids will return tests from then on!!!

This works for me...hope it can help you!

5. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

I have a file box in which all my students have a folder. After grading the papers and reviewing them with the students, I place them in a certain spot so that when my T/A comes in she simply files them under the correct name in the box. Every Friday I send home basically a report card. It lists all the students assignments and their grades as well as their current grade for the quarter. THese need to be signed and returned to me on Monday. For every day the paper is late being returned to me, the students loses 6 minutes of Fun Friday (they have a half hour total). If it's not in by Wednesday I call home. I keep the signed papers from the parents. The SINGLE (WHOO HOO!) parent that questioned her childs grade at the end of the 3rd quarter was like "oh ya, I signed them but never looked at them" during the conference. I then showed her the folder with all her child's work in it (it was much thinner than other folder) and she was like 'oh'. The student was much better academic wise in the 4th quarter. :)

For next year I'm thinking of printing the reports on Monday and having them due Tuesday. This will (a) give me the weekend to grade stuff and (b) prevent the kiddies from losing a paper over the weekend.

6. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jul 29, 2007

If you send home weekly folders and your school schedule has a lot of Monday holidays, perhaps Wednesday would be a better alternative. Students would have 2 days before the weekend to return items and you would have a couple extra days from the previous week to ensure everything is graded.

My kids last teacher finally got to the point where she would send home all graded papers home every 3 weeks with a progress report that required a parent's signature. The very first page would be a list of all missing and late assignments.

7. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Do you have a gradebook program or something that makes this easy? I really like the idea of their parents knowing what kind of grades they got on their work throughout the week, but don't want to make it too time consuming.

I plan on sending home a Monday folder too. Some parents, regardless of what you do, won't look at things anyway. They'll quickly sign their name just to be done with it.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2007

I do a 'Friday Folder' similar to the Monday folder described n the OP...When parents dont sign you could put a note on bright colored paper stapled to top of work in folder- please reveiw weekly work with your child and sign folder. Thank you. If people are 'repeat offenders' in not signing the folder then just circle the signature spot with highlighter each week that they do not sign-Follow up with a quick phone call. when report cards come out and they act surprised then you can whip out the folder and show them that they had the opportunity to review work and respond each week.

9. CheleOh

CheleOh Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

We have school-wide "Wednesday Envelopes" which include all school/PTA/community notices. I also send home the students' graded work with an "Assignment Summary".

I list the assignments going home (on one sheet and then copy a class set). The students fill in their grades and it goes home for a signature. The parents are made VERY aware of this procedure at the beginning of the year. The students are rewarded with classroom "money" each week that they bring back their envelope and signed Summary. If they don't bring it back, they don't get *paid*. I feel that I'm being proactive enough that if the student/parent is falling down on their end, then it's a parenting issue, and that's not my job. I refuse to turn it into a bookkeeping nightmare to figure out who has brought it back and who has not.

I do file the signed Summaries so that if there is any *issue* later on, I can show them to the parents (I HAVE had several incidents of forgery :-D), and I can tell them how many signed Summaries there SHOULD be (if their child's folder is lacking), but I have NEVER had complaints from parents that couldn't be remedied to MY satisfaction through this system.

We also have the students' grades online, so parents can always check there.

HTH,
    Chele :)

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2007

I plan to do the Friday Folder czacza described.

How do you handle students who never return the folder on Monday?

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2007

No folder on Monday, I write a note in the homework agenda for that night to return!

12. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

Do you require the homework agendas to be signed nightly? I tried that for a while, and it was a nightmare for parents, kids, as well as myself.

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2007

I was planning on having parents sign homework agenda too. How was it a nightmare for all?

14. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2007

I teach first grade so there isn't much homework.

My school does Wednesday envelopes where all office memos and pta things are sent home. I send home the weeks graded work in them too.
    I have a parent volunteer come stuff them.

I also have a planner (school wide), but I don't require parents to sign. IF they do, the child gets a sticker, but I don't make a big fuss about it because the child can only do so much to get the parents to sign it. It's not the child's fault if the parent doesn't get to it. Besides, at this point in their education, writing in the planner is more of a handwriting exercise anyway.

15. sweidl

sweidl Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

The thing that I don't like about planners/agends is that some kids get them signed every night, some kids get it signed 2 or 3 times a week, other kids just plain old refuse to get their parents to sign it, and some kids even LOSE theirs!! It is so frustrating sometimes. I do all of my grades on the computer on Grade Book Plus. It allows me to print progress reports, so I print progress reports weekly and have my kids bring them home and have their parents sign and return them. The thing that I like about this is that it gives parents a chance to see what missing assignments their child has, and it also leaves no surprises during report card time. If they don't get them back within a week, they get no free time on Friday, we call their parents, and I make them work on their missing assignments while everyone else is enjoying themselves!

16. CheleOh

CheleOh Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I *offer* and set aside time to sign kids' agendas. If their parents request it of them, and they wish to sign off each night, cool. There are some 5th graders who don't need my or their parents interference/guidance to get their work done, so I don't MAKE anyone get their agendas/planners (we actually call them "Reminder Binders") signed.

HOWEVER. I always have a "Sign Out Club" by the end of the first trimester. ;) These are the folks that continuously *forget* to write something down and/or *forget* to take everything they need home. So, they, with their parents' "permission" ;) have to stay after a few minutes and I check off every living thing to make sure they have it - as well as the books that they need - before I sign their RBinders.

Some "graduate" from the club, and some remain in the club all year. ;)

Chele :)

17. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

Yes, we have a school wide gradebook program. I can just hit 'print' and all the papers I need to send home get printed out. I may just do this every OTHER week....lots of paper gets eaten up with these!
    And if a parent just signs it and gets it returned, I believe it really isn't your problem. You can only do so much to keep parents informed. Nearly every parent liked the fact that I sent these home last year (and questioned why other teachers didn't...I stayed away from that one).
    As for a homework planner, while I signed it for EVERY kid EVERY day, I'm nly going to do it for those parents that request it this year. It just took way to much time, and part of fifth grade is teaching responsibility so it's up to the kiddies to wite it down!

18. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 30, 2007

As a parent, I HATE doing this nightly. Seems like a waste of everyone's time. I guess it would be a good idea for a kid who isn't turning in homework or the parent complains of not seeing it. But for the most part, it seems pointless to me.

I think I'll only do it nightly if I am having a problem with individual students.

19. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Wow! Sounds like a great program. It would be nice to have that as back up when a parent does come to you.

I agree that part of 5th grade is teaching them to be independent and responsible. They won't have someone babysitting them in middle school.

20. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

Well, parents had to sign off nightly saying the homework/daily assignments were complete. However, the kids in my class turn work in as they complete it, so the parents really had to take the kids' word that assignments were complete and turned in at school. Then, I had to check the binders every morning and listen to numerous excuses about why they weren't signed. I have had parents sign (on Monday) each slot for the rest of the week...I guess they don't realize I am not just looking for a signature, but actual parental involvement on a nightly basis.

Also, there are many kids who do not need the binders. They enjoy keeping up with their assignments, but they are responsible enough to make sure their work is in...a parent signature is just a hassle for those parents. I always hated to penalize kids for not having the thing signed if their homework was turned in. I guess I really don't know what a good system would be.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2007

I teach second grade. I have a parent signature/comment box on my homework organizer for each night. It really takes only two minutes for a parent to look over the kids hw and see that it was completed. I don't see how this is pointless or a waste of time- it helps keep parents informed of what is being taught in the classroom, provides an opportunity for the parent to TALK to their child about how s/he is doing, fosters a school to home connection--and best of all it's a CYA thing...parents can't say they don't know wht's going on or that little Johnny is having trouble with regrouping if you have these things in place...:eek: