Week Round Up

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aces, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Aces

Aces Cohort

Aug 25, 2018

So how was your week? Any funny stories to share?

Mine was pretty good. Wednesday in my Chem class I told them that we were working with grape soda (because we were). However we should never eat or drink in the lab because you never know what has been added, or what it actually is etc. Little did they know, I had mixed in some of that prank dye that turns your teeth black. Let's just say five students had black teeth.

Thursday afternoon they had a meeting in the auditorium for student athletes so I had set the microphones up on stage. Which the meeting was last period, and I knew we had theater practice after school so they were still hot. Anyways it was maybe ten/fifteen minutes after school got out that I got back because of bus duty. I came from the second floor because I went to my classroom first. And the second floor has access to the auditorium which is also where you get to the tech booth. They had apparently discovered that the mics were hot and when I walked in, a guy and a girl were singing the slow intro part to 'Proud Mary'. So I cued it up to the fast part on my phone and set the dynamic lights to do a little show. It was funny as all get out when the music played over the house speakers and the lights did their thing. They all turned and looked a little startled. But you know what? They totally rocked it, doing the dance too.

Then yesterday I was walking up the center aisle in my classroom and tripped over someone's book bag strap. Totally sprawled out in the floor like I was dead. In truth I hit my arm kinda hard. But anyways it took me a minute to get up Yanno kinda got to assess yourself. One of the senior football players asked me if I was alright then pretty much picked me up off the floor. I was like well thanks for the lift!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 25, 2018

I don’t remember anything funny. I was off one day for jury duty. One of my teammates has it, too. Neither of us was picked, so it was boring. People watching was good, though.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 25, 2018

One of my high school students bakes me cookies and pastries every day — it’s bizarre and I had to tell her to gently stop because I don’t want to eat sugary food all the time. Many students like coming to lunchtime tutoring even just to talk and shoot the breeze — they say I’m their favorite teacher and that I’m approachable. That makes me happy because I have had a positive impact on them and I am building rapport with them.

I’ve had a few students try some pretty interesting ways to circumvent the rules, like wrapping their earbuds around the back of their ear and hiding the cords with their hair and hood of their hoodies, but I caught on fast after the second day.

I have one student who is a know-it-all and tries to challenge me, politely, and has gotten frustrated that he can’t outsmart me like he has with some of his other teachers in the past — he is a new student to the school. I keep saying, “better luck next time.” It’s great fun!

All in all, it was a busy albeit fascinating week.

I did have a few computer troubles, but because I always have backup lessons and activities everything worked out in the end. I still have to enter in some grades — I did like 80% of it so far because the servers were being updated, but I got caught up in other things, so it’s all good.

Finally, I’m going to start working on my admin certification in the next month or so, I have my eyes set on a VP position, and I’m excited to advance in my career. My current P has me stepping in for one of the VP’s who just resigned (he moved of state to live closer to family). I’m finding the work challenging and rewarding all at the same time. I’ve been researching educational laws extensively, spoken with the other VP’s inside and outside of my school, and have so far learned a lot. I feel this hands-on experience will go a long way towards my successful completion of the CPACE exam ultimately!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Aces likes this.
  5. Aces

Aces Cohort

Aug 25, 2018

Maths guy: that's pretty much what I'm trying to do in regards with the admin stuff. There's really maybe 1/2 things I have left to get that finished up. I guess if I'm going to apply for that p position I'd better have my ducks in a row – and my ducks like to wonder off sometimes...

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Aug 25, 2018

In mornings I help out with KG, and in afternoons, I teach art.
    --
    KG Teacher: "What is something you want to learn how to do, but can't do yet?"
    5yo: "Potions" :toofunny:
    --
    Then in art, I showed the 1st grade class how to accordion-fold strips of paper, and when I unfolded it, they were so impressed, a couple of them jumped up from their seat, some of them oohed & aahed, and one of them clapped his hands :rofl:

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 25, 2018

I like your add-on to the common phrase, “Get all your ducks in a row.” It made me laugh.

And good luck, my friend!!! You can do it! Just keep chugging along even though some obstacles seem insurmountable.

I just have to get some more hands-on experience so I can answer the practical questions eventually when I take the CPACE. I want to have a general idea of what to do administratively when taking the test.

8. Aces

Aces Cohort

Aug 25, 2018

Haha you too!! And honestly there's some days I'm lucky to have my ducks in the same pond! Like yesterday trying to get the boys off to school and myself at the same time whoooo. The ducks were on the same pond barely and that's what I got and I was happy.