weather unit

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by newteacher52, Aug 30, 2011.

1. newteacher52

newteacher52 Rookie

Aug 30, 2011

Hello everyone,

I am starting a weather unit with my 1st graders and I was wondering if anyone had any great ideas to share with me? I'm a student teacher, so i'm definately in need of ideas! anything would help! thanks! :)

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2011

Temperature game: have them estimate the current outside temperature. You need internet access.

First, have each kid tell you what they think the current temperature is based on how it feels outside - must be done right after recess.

After you record their answers, reveal the current temperature according to your favorite weather website. Closest answers win. When I do it, I even try to not peek beforehand and take part in the game myself. The kids have a good incentive to try and beat me. And some do.

To be consistent, use the same website each time. This activity can and should be done multiple times even throughout the year.

The objective is for students to understand what various temperatures "feel" like and that 70 is a nice day, but 105 is really hot and 45 is really cold. They will start to associate that number called "temperature" to an actual atmospheric condition.

You should notice, over time, that their answers will start to bear a closer reality to what it is like outside.

4. newteacher52

newteacher52 Rookie

Sep 1, 2011

oooh, that sounds like it would be lots of fun! I love it, thank you!

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2011

We read The Cloud Book by Tomie dePaola. We talk about the types of clouds and then the children create 3 different clouds using puff balls. They write 1 fact about each. Very cute! Also- as an anticipatory activity we read Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and the kiddos write their own using a template. For example, they might say it was raining books or something. They then illustrate. Makes a great class book. We also brainstorm all types of weather they know. Sometimes we make a cloud in a bottle. I have my folder at school. I will try to add more when I grab it.

6. newteacher52

newteacher52 Rookie

Sep 6, 2011

thanks so much. I really appreciate the help. we started with seasons, and are reading arnold's apple tree.

7. msbetty

msbetty New Member

Oct 17, 2012

The objective is for students to understand what various temperatures "feel" like and that 70 is a nice day, but 105 is really hot and 45 is really cold. They will start to associate that number called "temperature" to an actual atmospheric condition.

haha- its so funny learning with teachers from around the country. I'm from MI. "45" would not be defined as 'really cold' here- they go outside until its '0'. :)

8. meglucy

meglucy Companion

Dec 11, 2012

-Investigate the different ways to measure rain. For example, set out a rain gauge. On a rainy day, you could also give everyone a piece of construction paper and have them hold it out in the rain for a few seconds. Then they should bring the paper back inside and trace around the raindrops with marker. The raindrops will dry quickly but the circles will be left behind and you can discuss what it means if the raindrops were big or small.

-Make the different types of clouds (stratus, cumulus, etc.) using cotton balls and cotton squares on paper.

-I absolutely love the book Cloudette (fiction).

-Make a flow map of the cycle of water.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2012

I worked in a 1st grade room where we were either doing weather or water cycle. I read looked like split milk. I traced some pictures on white paper and the kids had to tear it out so it looked like a cloud. They glued it to a blue sheet where we made our own looked like split milk book. I took it home to bind it and it was a class favorite.

There's always tracking temps on a graph or tally marking the sunny, rainy, cloudy days....