We subs love to be praised!!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by mandagap06, Mar 6, 2009.

1. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Mar 6, 2009

I love it when I get complements it maks all the disadvantages for me at least fly out the window when people say nice things about me as a sub. Today I got"how did you do it" comment , and I said "do what" and they said get the students in line and to mind you. This is a bad group so they say. I am one of those subs that have the kids thinking they can get away with muder until I open my mouth to get onto them or lay down the law. Then I love em' too. Those that have me sub often know I can be mean but I can be there best friend too. I just love the complements. Tell me about some of your nice complements!!

3. stepka

stepka Comrade

Mar 6, 2009

I know what you mean--I had a couple of teachers tell me that I have a gift and that I can teach rings around most of the teachers in the school, so I went to get certified. I think I'm on to something.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 7, 2009

I may get a "thank you" once in a blue moon, but nothing more than that really. In society, teachers are known to have thankless jobs, so I've accepted that for a long time when I chose to get into the field. If teachers are hardly thanked or acknowledged (& I'm not talking about Teacher's Day/Week), subs are acknowledged even less. I'm talking in general. Of course there will always be some people out in the world who are more appreciative & thoughtful than others.

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2009

I also make sure to tell the subs that are in my room who do a good job that they did just that! I think you are right, that teaching is rather thankless... compliments are treasured even for "teachers". I truly appreciate and try to tell my guest teachers how wonderful they are!

6. elvissa

elvissa Rookie

Mar 8, 2009

A couple of weeks ago, I had a neighboring teacher step out into the hall and ask for my contact info because she could hear me and could tell I was doing a good job with the kids.

I was thrilled! It was the first time I'd gotten any feedback either way from the teachers I've subbed for, and it was a relief, because I'm trying to be good at this, but I'm never sure that I am.

I've often considered getting some postcards and leaving a stamped one with my address asking the teacher to take 2 minutes to let me know how I did, so I can take their advice and try to get better.

7. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

I had a teacher that will be on maternity leave at the beginning of next year tell me that she wants me to be her lts, if I don't have a job. She said she loves me. She is a friend of a friend, so I thought that she was just asking me to sub for her all the time because of that, but it is an added bonus that she likes what I'm doing. Besides that, I love how she runs her room and the students are great, plus it is kindergarten.