WBT and Parent Communication

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Haley Kraemer, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Haley Kraemer

Haley Kraemer Rookie

Jun 12, 2018

Hello,

I am researching Whole Brain Teaching and strongly thinking about using it in my class next year. I teach 1st grade.

My question is:

Is there a parent communication system for communicating a child’s behavior daily? Good or bad? Just like with a clip chart or a pocket chart?

I am excited to use the practice cards and send home a parent note if a student still needs practice.

Likewise I can send home notes/certificates if a child has greatly improved on one of the rules or they just did especially well with a rule that day.

But if I don’t send something home daily, I feel like the parents are going to wonder how their kid is doing.

How do I explain this system to parents? That their child will not come home on a “color” every day indicating their behavior?

Thanks!

3. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Jun 13, 2018

I don't know much about WBT... does it include major behavior systems?

My personal view is I'll let the parents know if the kid isn't doing okay behavior-wise. I'm not big on the whole public behavior system charts and whatnot. My first couple of years, I kept a calendar for each month in their home folders and the kids would color them at the end of the day, but I'm still not a big fan of that.

But, I do know some teachers are and I get it. So a calendar each month for "colors" or what have you could work for the home communication.

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 19, 2018

WBT doesn't really work like that. It focuses greatly on the positive, and so sending home daily reports could have a negative feeling to it that I think WBT aims to avoid.

I think weekly updates are enough. Explain to parents how your system works, and I don't foresee and problems.