Water slides or Roller coasters?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kellzy, Jun 8, 2017.

1. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Jun 8, 2017

My roommates and I went to a water park today. While waiting in line we got in a discussion about whether roller coasters or water slides were better. I was in the minority in my vote for water slides. I just began wondering if I was in the minority in general here.
    What do you think?
    Water slides or roller coasters and why?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 8, 2017

I'm in the real minority. I don't like either one. I prefer floating on a raft in the pool.

MissScrimmage, rpan and bella84 like this.
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2017

I'm with you.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2017

What away to spend the summer!:cool:

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 8, 2017

I like the lazy rivers!

I'd prefer a roller coaster over a water slide. My swimming suit always travels north on slides. That makes getting up.....awkward.

7. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Jun 8, 2017

I definitely prefer roller coasters, I can get so much more speed out of it.

8. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Jun 8, 2017

Oh gosh, roller coasters. I hate water slides! I feel like I can't breathe going down them (the enclosed ones at least) and I wear contacts so the water irritates my eyes.

I definitely prefer floating/laying by the pool over anything though!

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 9, 2017

Roller coasters. But only the kind at Disney theme parks. I am not into craziness and being terrified. ;)

GPC0321 and rpan like this.
  10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 9, 2017

I like both, but I would pick roller coasters if I had to pick one. My reasons are that roller coasters last longer, tend to be more comfortable (don't have to worry about your swimsuit riding up, falling off the raft, etc.), and are faster/more exciting/have bigger hills and flips, etc. I love roller coasters!

11. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jun 9, 2017

I have a thing about paying other people to scare the heck outta me. I prefer teacups if I had to choose a ride. But I rather not. There's pleasure to be had sitting in a cafe, having a cold drink and watching other people scream their lungs out.

12. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Jun 9, 2017

I like both, but definitely prefer roller coasters. I used to be pretty fearless with coasters. Just a couple of years ago I would happily climb on any coaster at Busch Gardens: Williamsburg. But for some reason the idea is not so appealing anymore. The older I get, the less tolerant I am of some extreme rides. Still, I did love riding them. Wheeee!
    Water parks in general don't appeal to me anymore, even though I think slides are fun. Again, probably just because I'm getting older (43) and prefer lounging to sliding, LOL.
    I like most of the things at Disney except the spinning or virtual stuff. Those make me sick.

13. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Jun 9, 2017

That's my favorite park! Williamsburg is actually one of the areas I'm thinking about moving to and teaching in when I finish my grad program next May.

GPC0321 likes this.
  14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 9, 2017

Roller coasters! A) I don't have to wear a swimsuit lol but B) roller coasters give me more of a safe thrill feeling. Water slides just feel too out of control!

yellowdaisies likes this.
  15. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Jun 9, 2017

That would be a great area, I bet! I live in NC, but Williamsburg is just a few (three?) hours drive from me. It's basically the only park I visit (aside from Disney World, which is my favorite place on the planet!). Williamsburg is lovely.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 9, 2017

Definitely, roller coasters for me! I could care less about water parks...never been to one & I'm sure never will.
    A) I don't swim
    B) More importantly, IMO, water parks are a cesspool of being in the same "bathtub" w/ everyone's God knows what...their contagious skin rashes, e. coli when little kids may pooh, foot fungi and athlete's foot, urine, etc., etc., etc.

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 9, 2017

So OP, what's your reason for liking water slides better? I was just thinking about how when I was little I was terrified to go on a roller coaster but I loved water slides, even big ones. My dad used to try to convince me that rollercoasters were basically just like a longer water slide, but I wasn't hearing it! I didn't go on my first roller coaster until I was 13!

18. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Jun 10, 2017

I like roller coasters, don't get me wrong, but I get so easily motion sick that I can't enjoy them because I've taken so many dramamine to keep myself from ralphing that I'm in a dramamine coma while on roller coasters. I get the same thrill on a water slide that I can get from roller coasters, but I don't get motion sick on them.

19. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 11, 2017

Could I pick log flumes instead?

20. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Jun 11, 2017

Water slides get my vote.

21. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2017

Neither! I hate roller coasters. They are scary and not for me. I feel nauseous all day after riding two. They are also too dangerous imo. I don't mind water slides but I find the big ones a bit scary too. I just like hanging out in the pool :)