Wanting to look for a new position for this upcoming school year, but worried

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by emilystout10, Jan 22, 2019.

1. emilystout10

emilystout10 Rookie

Jan 22, 2019

I currently work at a charter middle school. This is my 2nd year here, but my first year as a classroom teacher. I am wanting to look for a new job for the upcoming school year for a few reasons. I currently drive an hour (longer if traffic is bad) to and from work, the pay is much lower than at a public school, and I really have no say in what I teach (my lessons are planned for me and I really don't have much say if I don't like the lesson). Here is my worry... at my school, we are given contracts for the upcoming school year in March that we have a deadline to when it needs to be turned in but many schools in my state/area don't even start posting openings until may or june. I am worried about either not signing my contract but then not being able to get hire elsewhere so I don't have a job or health care or signing my contract, continuing to look for a job, get hired, and then decided to break my contract.

So pretty much what do I do! I haven't been in this position seeing as this is my 3rd year in education.

Thank you!!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2019

The first thing you need to do is study your contract and see if there is a clause that dictates how much notice you have to give when you resign. Then you can begin to work from there.

4. emilystout10

emilystout10 Rookie

Jan 27, 2019

Thank you! I definitely will!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jan 27, 2019

Many charter schools can release you without cause, and you can likewise leave without cause, both without the need for notice. That said, giving notice is always better than leaving abruptly if at all possible. Swansong1's advice to really study your contract is highly valuable.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jan 27, 2019

Yep, at-will employees can be let go for any reason, but those reasons are usually outlined in your contract like mine is.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 28, 2019

I'm in a private school and people usually give about 2 weeks notice. There must be something in your contract that says if you need to break the contract you need to give a certain amount of notice (30 days, 60 days, etc). It's impossible for nobody to EVER break a contract due to unforeseen circumstances so there has to be something regarding that I'm sure.

8. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jan 31, 2019

There's no need to wait until you give notice to start looking, is there? Can you start looking on-line and maybe even sniffing out schools, or districts, that look like they might be right for you?