Want to find a teaching job in Ohio? Well, maybe you'll hit the lottery first.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Redsfan1990, Jun 16, 2017.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 19, 2017

I managed to move to Ohio just as Columbus City Schools laid off a few HUNDRED teachers and other districts were doing the same. Rockhubby was still in grad school for Geology (hence the Rock name) so we couldn't move anywhere, and I still needed to take an additional Praxis test not required in Pennsylvania. It took me from 2005-2008 to finally obtain my first full-time teaching position.

Trust me, a lot of us feel your pain.

2. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 24, 2017

I entered the market in 2008, so I will tell you that you're entering the market at a better time than I did. Back then, jobs had 500-1,000 applicants. And, to give you some perspective, I had my credential expire (5 years, had to extend it) before I landed an interview or job.

I did bounce around from long-term assignments, filling in the rest of the time with day-to-day (sub) jobs. You are right that the chances of your resume even being read in that scenario, is slim to none. What you need to do is think outside the box when it comes to that. For example, most job positions explicitly said that you should submit your resume online. However, whenever I saw a nearby district that was posting, I would drive to that city, drive around to each school (during around this time, when principals may still be lingering around their campus), and hand-deliver a resume to them. I eventually landed a few interviews in this manner. Again, this is something they don't want you to do, because they don't have time for it. I say Who cares.

AlwaysAttend and Teacherhere like this.
  3. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jun 25, 2017

I'm about the same age as you (about to turn 28 next month) and just completed my 4th year teaching. I didn't get a job the first year out of college because the market was dismal and schools in the area I grew up in were all cutting jobs. I had to move about four hours away to a very rural (I grew up in metro Atlanta) district. I fell in love with it there but I just got a job back home this year. The job market opened up finally in the last two years and because of my experience/references I got like 10-12 interviews this year. It was tough to move, but it was a little easier on me because I'm married and my wife came with me. My family understood though that I had to do what was best for me but I was able to come home as frequently as I wanted.

4. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Jun 27, 2017

I just finished up my second year of full time teaching in Ohio (5th grade, moving to 2nd next year). I work in a suburb of Columbus. For me personally, subbing was my "in." I always made sure to do a great job as a day to day sub, which led to a long term sub position, which led to a permanent position in the same district when one became available. It was a tough process, but it made me a better teacher.

I do feel that the market here is so competitive, you are most likely not going to get hired unless you know someone higher up, or make connections in a particular school/district through student teaching or subbing. Just my two cents based on experiences I've had!

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 2, 2017

I'm back home in Ohio visiting family for the summer and decided to browse k12jobspot for fun....man, there ain't NOTHING posted. A few sub jobs, couple part time, one charter position....I was surprised there wasn't even a lot in SPED.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 3, 2017

It seems the majority of teaching jobs are in the center of the state, mostly in grade 4-8 charter schools.

7. FrauRCS

FrauRCS New Member

Sep 10, 2017

I had the same experience, Redsfan. I'm also a Miami grad and from nearby Fairfield. However, I had 15 years under my belt when my program was cut by a levy failing. My fields are German and English, but, at the time, I was teaching German and there were also English positions cut, so I was out.
    In three years, from 2009 to 2012, I had just three interviews and one HR official with whom I interviewed admitted that they couldn't hire somebody with more than five years' experience due to budget constraints (I have my Masters and National Board certification). I also was not willing to relocate since my son was in high-school at Fairfield.
    So, I tried working in call centers and finally took out my retirement to open my own language school, which, unfortunately, failed miserably. I went back to a call center, where I was abused on the phone daily.
    When my kid was going off to college, I finally decided to get over my unwillingness to relocate. I searched "states that are desperate for teachers", filled out the central application for those states and got hired over the phone at an excellently-rated, fast-growing South Carolina district and am now making $20,000 more per year than in my last year in Ohio in 2009.
    I'm also close to my family, being of Appalachian descent (imagine that in Butler County! Haha!) with five siblings, numerous niblings, and my amazing son, not to mention many, many friends! I moved away at the age of 45, so you can imagine how many folks I know.
    My then-boyfriend, now-husband, decided to come with me, thank goodness, and even gave up his season tickets for both the Bengals and the Cyclones!!! That's love, right there!
    But we both agree that, although we didn't want to leave, it was the best decision of our lives.
    It's something to consider, although I understand your viewpoint completely. I'm hoping all works out wonderfully for you!

8. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Sep 10, 2017

I live in the Cleveland area and was hired into a SPED position after a long-term sub job ended. I work in a high-needs inner-ring suburb with a very high turn over rate. I too browse k12jobspot, but I do see quite a few ELA jobs through 'applitrak'. Since Cleveland is my jurisdicton, I google "applitrak northeast ohio" and it links me to different applitraks for the different regions of Cleveland. Try this method but for southern Ohio. I also like using applitrak because its public school jobs, and not charter. Take this into consideration, and best of luck.

9. Nikkiski21

Nikkiski21 Rookie

Sep 13, 2017

It's sad how relieved I was to see I'm not the only teacher in Ohio who can't find a decent position. I graduated in the fall of 2014 and got my first job in 2015 in an urban district just outside of Cleveland. However, this district is in shambles so all first year teachers were laid-off at the end of the year. Since then, it's been impossible to get into another classroom job. I had no choice but to work as a Title I tutor part-time last year and now am in a librarian/aide position. I also have a very good resume and wonderful references, but I didn't have a single teacher interview job all summer. It was disappointing and made me feel pretty awful about myself and my career choice.

I'm not really in a position where I could move out of state. I'm looking at going back to school and other career options. Disappointing since I'm in so much debt already but can't even get a decent job to make a dent.