Waiting on interview

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Anonymous Barbie, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Apr 5, 2017

I posted before about a potential job opportunity at my local high school. The principal and the dean of students both approached me on a day I was subbing to tell me that the position went up online, and I came in a few days later and talked with the principal. He wrote a lot down on my resume as we talked.

I have 1:1 experience with chromebooks, which they use. I have a BA in the subject and a Master's degree in education. I have 3 years experience. I also live 5 minutes from the high school, and it's a very sparsely populated area, so I doubt there are people already living here with my qualifications.

The principal told me in our meeting that he would start calling about interviews after spring break (this is our first week back). The job listing previously had an expiration date of April 3, but now that I'm looking at it, it says April 10. I'm sitting here worrying that the apply-by date was extended because they weren't happy with the applicants they were getting.

I'm worried that this means they don't think I'm a strong candidate, or that they aren't considering me. Any reassuring words of wisdom out there? Maybe from people who've been on the hiring side of things?

3. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Apr 5, 2017

I certainly can't speak for all schools, but I know that ours likes a minimum number of candidates before they close the application. I was in the same spot you were in five years ago. I was asked to apply for the job by the principal, and knew with 100% certainty I was going to get it, but they still wanted to have a certain number to apply and interview for whatever reason. I wouldn't stress over it at all.

Anonymous Barbie likes this.
  4. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Apr 20, 2017

Well, I'm still waiting and I'm starting to worry. The job listing closed over a week ago, after being extended a week. I have had positive interactions with a few of the administrators and have sat down with them and discussed my qualifications, they took notes on my resume, liked that I'd had experience with 1:1 technology etc. I mean, they are the ones who approached me in the office and told me there was a position up in my field, and that I should apply.

I had an interaction with someone at the school recently who said my name had come up, as they were trying to see if I coached any sports, as they were looking for a specific sports coach.

In the past I have been passed over for a particular position because a football coach taught that specific discipline, so I got the other job in the district. I really hope I'm not being passed over because my resume didn't explicitly say "can coach x sport". I've never played it, it's true, but apparently you can hire professionals to do training with the kids, and you're basically just in charge of scheduling and being present for practice. At least that was what one person said when they were asked to coach a sport they'd never played.

I haven't been called for an interview, and it's been weeks since I was told they'd be calling. I hate backing myself into this anxiety corner. Has anyone else been in this position, where you feel so confident the job is yours, but then it's radio silence?

I refuse to email the principal, because I know that's annoying. I'm hoping one day when I'm subbing they'll see me in the office and go "oh yeah, I need to call out for interviews". I just really want this job. It's the dream job I've been hoping for since I decided to be a teacher.

5. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Apr 22, 2017

If this is your dream job, I don't see a problem with calling, emailing, or going to seeing the P to get an update on the status of your application. You deserve a right to know. Good luck!

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Apr 22, 2017

Personally, I would contact HR instead of principal. HR is used to people being nervous and wanting to know - it is in their job description to handle these questions.