"W" sitting

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by diggerdeb, Nov 11, 2008.

1. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Nov 11, 2008

I have several children who prefer "w" sitting when we are on the carpet. I have read that it can be very bad for the child's hips.

I would like to give an article to each parent at p/t conferences so we can work together to break this habit.

Any one know of a good source of a parent friendly article?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2008

Are they really sitting long enough for it to be an issue? Most preschoolers I know are on the run more than they're sitting on the floor.

4. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Nov 11, 2008

I can't pinpoint an article, but I know either a physical or an occupational therapist has told me that a child who W-sits does it for more stability because their muscles are not as strong. It provides a wider mass for them to rest their weight on. A lot of children with disabilities do this instead of sitting on their knees or sitting like a pretzel.

I'm not sure if it's bad. Do you have an p.t. or an o.t. come to your school for children with special needs? Maybe you could ask them?

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2008

http://www.pediatricservices.com/parents/pc-22.htm

I am a special ed. teacher so I am pretty familair with W sitting. Its common in the special needs population, but a lot of typical kids do it, too. Its not good for the hips and knees.

I couldn't find any articles aimed at typically developing kids but maybe you can modify this.

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 11, 2008

it may not be good for hips and kness for a long period of time but childrent his age shouldn't be sitting for long periods of itme either. If it's more comfortable for htem I think it's okay-- it's not liek theya re sitting like that for hours at at ime. they play on their kness too and that's not good for joints either, If it was too uncomfortable they wouldn't do it. I let my kids sit hwoever is comfortable for them as long as thery sit with their bottom on the cushiona nd ther cushion stays ont he floor we are good

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 11, 2008

I have had many OTs and PTs tell me that I should not allow my students to sit like this. It is a hard habit to break. I have a friend who is 38 and she still sits like this all of the time -- she is "knocked knees" (I think this is what it is called).

8. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Nov 11, 2008

ok, i have to ask - what is "w sitting"?

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

10. LynnInTexas

LynnInTexas New Member

Nov 11, 2008

I believe it is when you sit so that you would be on your knees but your legs are out to the side and your bottom is on the floor in between. :2cents:

Do a google image search on "w+sitting".

11. lauriloulou

lauriloulou Rookie

Nov 15, 2008

I just spoke to a PT about this b/c my daughter sits like that and she said new research is coming out that it is not as bad as once previously thought. She said some PTs would disagree though but she didn't think it was a big deal. I think you'll probably find a range of opinions.

12. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Nov 15, 2008

This is actually a stretch pose I do in yoga!!!!!

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 15, 2008

I have a little boy that does this and his brother (in K last year) does it too. Now their cousins come to the same school and they both do it too :confused: I asked our PT about it and she said give him a gentle reminder, but if he can sit criss-cross for a length of time (calendar or story time) not to worry about it.