Volunteering Abroad.... So confused

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Miss Kirby, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 25, 2009

My eyes hurt from staring at the screen again. This summer I'm trying to make big plans. I will probably teach summer school in June. I want to buy a SLR camera and take a photography class at the same time. In July, I want to volunteer abroad by myself, for 2-4 weeks. I just can't find a program that works for me. While I would love to travel to India or Africa and work with the children there, I just can't see myself doing it. I want to stick to England, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand. I don't see a lot of programs for those places though! I would like to do something working with kids or the community. But maybe doing something with animals or the environment would be fun too. My eyes hurt from searching on the computer for so long. I have been looking a lot at this site. http://www.abroadreviews.com/index.php But I still feel lost and confused!

3. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jan 25, 2009

I can't post links, but have you looked at Projects Abroad? I was considering doing something similar and they have a lot of different programs in many countries. They sent me a brochure (more like a magazine) with all their info and it seemed like a really cool program. Good luck! I wish I could do something like that now, but it wont happen for a while.

4. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Jan 25, 2009

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2009

I would love to do something like this, but I'm not sure how that would work with a young family.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 25, 2009

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 4, 2012

Wow! So I was searching for volunteer abroad posts, since that's what I am planning on doing this summer, and then found this post I made over 3 years ago! Has anyone had any experience volunteering abroad? Right now the programs I am looking into are Cross Cultural Solutions, Global Volunteers, and Greenheart Travel. I am also thinking about the homestay through Greenheart. I am still nervous about going to places like Asia or Aftrica but it would be so amazing. What to do, what to do.