Vocab/Spelling

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CDOR79, Sep 11, 2018.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Sep 11, 2018

My school uses a book called Vocabulary Workshop which has very challenging words (and I mean- very!) There are 12 words featured for each unit.

I’m a 5th grade teacher. I’m thinking of focusing on the SPELLING aspect of the words one week and the following week, have them focus on the definitions, antonyms and synonyms.

I’ve done this in the past at the 3rd grade level and it’s worked out perfectly. If I make the vocabulary aspect a bit more challenging, do you feel that should still be age appropriate? Being that I’m in an older grade, I’m afraid of making things too easy for them! But again- Im thinking I can always use the same format (schedule) but just make it more challenging...still just focusing on ONE unit every 2 weeks.

Thoughts?

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 11, 2018

I think it would be better to focus on both spelling and meaning for two weeks, and then to test on both at the end of those two weeks.

Do the words have some sort of phonics or root word pattern, or is it random memorization for spelling?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  4. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Sep 12, 2018

No Otter- there’s no pattern to the words. They’re just random high level words.

I actually like that idea though! I think it’ll encourage them to study everything at once instead of spoon feeding it to them- which is a little more babyish to me.

Thanks for the idea!