Visa woes- admitting I have a problem

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lucybelle, May 20, 2014.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 20, 2014

It's now been nearly 15 months since I originally sent in a petition for my husband's visa to the USA. Fifteen months. I could go on and on about all the injustices I have faced, there have been many. But I won't. Because I'm here to admit I have a visa problem.

There's a visa forum that I check constantly throughout the day. I call the visa center at least twice a week and email my senator and congressman at least once a week. I hate not being able to control a part of my life. Such a huge part of my life. And I am obsessing over this to a point where I am starting to feel annoyed, frustrated and furious at life all the time.

I want to call to get information because otherwise you have to wait 3 or 4 days to get an email. I want to know as soon as something happens so I can react as quickly as possible.

But I think it's finally time for me to let go. I have become a visa monster. I wanted to wait to get a certain visa notice to quit my job, but I think I'll go ahead and put in my letter next week. If the visa takes an extra month, so be it. I need to be happy. And being this obsessive is making me quite unhappy.

So please, send my visa application good visa thoughts. To finally get through this ridiculous process.

And send me the will to STAY AWAY FROM THAT FORUM and relax and enjoy my time with my husband in this beautiful country which I will miss dearly once we leave.

:cool:

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 20, 2014

Ugh, still having trouble?! Yes, put in that notice.

4. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 20, 2014

I feel your pain. It took me almost exactly 2 years to get my visa-equivalent when I moved overseas a few years ago. It was so amazingly frustrating (esp since I wasn't allowed to work while it was processing). Why it takes so long to make a simple decision, I'll never know.

Good vibes sent! :)

5. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

May 20, 2014

Ouch.

My wife's permanent green card interview didn't get scheduled until 6 years after we were married -- shortly after 9/11. Our first boy was already over a year old and came with us to the interview (at least we didn't have to worry about them claiming it was a false marriage!)

Immigration (under DHS or the old INS) has always been pretty bad. If you can, figure out how you can get served in an area which has very, very few of the type of case you need. For example, I was told scheduling green card interviews in New Hampshire would be far, far easier than NY/NJ.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 21, 2014

Thanks guys :)

@HistoryVA- I'm currently over two years for my residency in CR! For one year my status has been "awaiting signatures". I gave up on it honestly. I mean we hope to move in a few months, so it doesn't matter that much anymore. No one knows if you're allowed to work or not during this time, I think it's probably not.

@3sons- we're applying from Costa Rica so there's no way to chose where our application goes. When we do the interview it will be at the USA embassy in San Jose.

I'm already feeling better. Just having a little attitude switch into "it'll happen when it happens" has helped. Thanks for letting me vent! :)

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 21, 2014

I know you two will be happy when all this mess is behind you!

8. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 23, 2014

Having trouble with Visa? Switch to Master Card.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 23, 2014

[​IMG]

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 23, 2014

Perfect use of that, cat!

11. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 23, 2014

I don't have any advice, but I feel for you. I hope it all gets sorted out. Best of luck to you!

12. a2z

a2z Maven

May 23, 2014

I hope it comes through soon. Sending good thoughts.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 27, 2014

I had problems with my husband's visa. I wrote my congressman, and he expedited the process.

14. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 27, 2014

Thanks for the advice. I contacted my congressman and senator back in September 2013. Though my senator has somewhat helped, it certainly hasn't expedited the situation.