Virginia teachers...help please!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teacherella, Jun 27, 2009.

1. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jun 29, 2009

lol...when I said banking I meant it sarcastic as in I am putting all my eggs in the baskets of fairfax and prince william county.
    All of the other states I have applied to are not hiring AT ALL. My luck has to come from VA.
    Thanks for your help though.
    As for cost of living...yes it is very high but I am willing to commute if needed.

2. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

I just checked the cost of living figures for Prince William:

Estimated median household income in 2007: $87,243
    Prince William County: $87,243
    Virginia: $59,562

Median contract rent in 2007 for apartments: $1,142
    Prince William County: $1,142
    State: $753

Estimated median house or condo value in 2007: $435,100 Prince William County: $435,100
    Virginia: $262,100

County population in July 2007: 360,411 (91% urban, 9% rural)
    County owner-occupied houses and condos: 67,798
    Renter-occupied apartments: 26,772

As you can see, it isnt cheap to live in Prince William County. It is a beautiful area, but it is quite expensive, as is most of NoVa (what locals call the Northern Virginia area.)

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

Oh, and that apartment cost is very low for this area. It is doubtful you could even find anything for under $1500 per month. More like $2200 if you want to live in a decent apartment. Of course, if you are planning on buying a home (and can afford one there) then you won't have to worry about an apartment.

4. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jun 29, 2009

Not planning on buying a home anytime soon but I did pick up an apartment book while I was there during my screening interviews.

5. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

Ms.Bee-
    Do you have your Virginia license yet? Just wondering b/c now I'm looking into the Prince William schools too.

6. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jun 29, 2009

No I don't. I just graduated in May with my degree and have not even applied for it yet. They screened me and said I was good to go for now so.....I guess when you get hired you can teach provisionally. I really don't know though.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2009

You really CAN'T commute to PWS or Fairfax. There is simply nowhere to commute from. You could live in Fredericksburg and get a 1BR apartment for $900, but you would sitting in traffic a solid 2 hours each way, more on Fridays because lots of people do this so it gets to be stop and go traffic starting at 3pm on the dot. There might be more options for PWS, but traffic is horrendous everywhere in Northern Virginia. It is not uncommon for it to take 20 minutes to drive to a grocery store a mile or two from your house. When I subbed in FX, sometimes it would take me 15 minutes in the morning to get to a school and 2 HOURS to get home at 3:00. This was not completely unusual and these schools were only 7-8 miles from my house in Springfield. The areas in Maryland that are within driving distance are as expensive. In order to save money, you would need to plan on 3-4 hours a day round trip.

I don't want to scare you though. If you are in a critical need area, the county has a great housing subsidy program for teachers, police and fire. It has been a huge issue in FX. A lot of teachers got priced out and flooded out of the county when property values skyrocketed. It was only 4 years ago that I worked there, and I was shocked to discover that almost nobody I knew is still at the schools--and they were long time employees in many cases.

A lot of apartments with more reasonable sounding rent were built under special financing plans and teachers make too much money to live in them. It is easy to find roommates in the area though because almost every young professional needs to have them, plus all of the colleges around.

8. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jun 29, 2009

Well I guess I need to do a little more research! lol
    I know someone who lives in DC and commutes to fairfax. I need to ask them more about the area. Thanks everyone for all the info. It really helps.

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

I was just about to type this exact same thing. The only places close by are more expensive, and the cheaper places are hours away because of horrible traffic.

If you don't mind sharing with 3 or 4 roommates (I wouldn't be able to stand this arrangement, but some people don't mind) then go for it.

It is really hard to find a safe place to live -- because the safe places with subsidies -- you will make too much to qualify. The places you can qualify for, are not great. And sharing with numerous roommates brings all kinds of problems I wouldn't want to even begin to consider.

I'm not trying to scare you -- but unless you have some very compelling reason for moving to this area (near inmediate family, etc) I would look elsewhere. You will never be able to live a good life here as a teacher. You will always be living from paycheck to paycheck and with a gaggle of roommates. To me, that just isn't the way I would want to live -- and I certainly wouldn't relocate to live that way.

Just my 2 cents worth....

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2009

DC INTO Fairfax is as "against the traffic" as Northern Virginia gets. A nice place to live in DC is even more expensive. You can zip up 95 without too much trouble.

I would recommend checking out local traffic sites. The radio station WMAL has a good one and they link to all the traffic cams. Basically, you do not want to need the Fairfax County Parkway or 95 for long stretches. People apparently can't drive and there are always delays. I really don't mean to sound doom and gloom. I went to high school and community college in the area, and I like it there. But traffic is a HUGE part of daily life, even if you are driving reasonably short distances. Time of day matters a lot too. I had classes at the community college and never scheduled 9:30 am classes if I could help it. I could get to a 1 pm class in 20 minutes, but a morning prime time class would take over an hour. For most teaching jobs, if you live in the county, morning travel isn't horrific. But afternoon rush hour starts in full force by 3.

And if you are driving an hour or more in each way, you need to factor in the gas prices, which tend to be high for Virginia (as much as .50 higher than the rest of the state).

Traffic in PWS is not as bad.

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2009

BTW, FX recruiters will never tell you this because they have a stick up their rear about how great they are and how they can be the choosiest in hiring in the state, but FX has an IMMENSE staff turnover simply because of the cost of living. If you are in a critical shortage area, you can get a great $1500+ 1BR apartment in FX for around $900 I think as long as you make less than $50k.

I can tell that the schools vary widely, but most of them are very nice, although I hated the big secondary schools. I thoroughly believe that sticking 7th graders in with juniors and seniors is asking for trouble. My opinion though. Even the "rougher" schools like Mount Vernon and West Potomac have good administration and always seemed well run. There were few schools that I did not enjoy taking sub jobs at. I found one of my regular schools had a big gang problem because kids were getting in trouble for wearing coats into the building. In the winter! I thought this very odd since it was snowing. Why make the kids take off coats, hats, gloves before the get inside? But, the school was well run with good safety measures, that I actually never knew this from my few days a month sub jobs. The atmosphere in the school was still relaxed, friendly, and felt safe (to me).

Actually, now that I have typed all of this, I am sort of glad I have already accepted an offer. I thought I would like Fairfax because of the proximity to things and my familiarity with the schools, but yeah, I think I'm better off!

12. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jun 29, 2009

Can't get a decent apartment for less than $2200? Are you talking to the OP with the family, or Ms. Bee, the fresh-out-of-college singleton? I lived in Fairfax as recently as last year, and there are tons of apartments in Fairfax for much cheaper than $2200. I lived near Fair Oaks/Fair Lakes, which has every store you could possibly imagine in a 2-mile radius (including heaven on earth...WEGMAN'S), and I was paying about $1200 for a 1BR in a quiet apartment complex. Being young and single, however, you might want a roommate. For the OP with the family, it will definitely be more, but you'll have two salaries, right?

The traffic does stink in places, but I was doing the reverse commute from Fairfax to Manassas, and it was a breeze. You really need to find your work first, and then your apartment, preferably after you see what rush hour is like for your commute. Whoever said that a drive can take 15 minutes at one time of day and two hours at another time is not exaggerating, depending on where you live. Luckily, I don't live near those places!

To Teacherella: is your husband working in Quantico?

13. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jun 29, 2009

You really need to get your license, especially if you're qualified for it. In all the interviews I've listened in on, the candidate has their license, or is a brand-new teacher waiting for the application to be processed. You are putting yourself at a disadvantage if you don't have it. Principals like the peace-of-mind knowing that they won't lose a candidate to some snafu.

14. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2009

$1200-1500 is definitely doable for a 1BR apartment. It is hard to find much below $1200 without income restrictions. The apartments around Fairlakes or Fairfax Corner are the same ones that Fairfax uses for new teachers, so they are nice places if you can get the subsidy deal. They are not lower income, but nice places that just have deals for fire, police and teachers. But, contrast that with another area (Stafford or Fredericksburg, for example): you might make $3,000/yr less, but you can get a nice apartment and all utilities for under $1000/month. Personal property taxes are a lot less too.

Fairfax area has Tysons and Whole Foods though. There are definite selling points. I am sad I will not be near a WF.

Definitely get your license in order for Fairfax. They have a huge HR department, so I bet if you have all the requirements, they will help you push the paperwork through. If you are eligible for the license, that is a different situation than provisional. I would call them now and ask for advice.

At the job fair I went to, the recruiter would not schedule an interview for me because I will be provisional, but I insisted on leaving my resume since I know full well they have a shortage in my area, she grudgingly said she would pass it along, but warned me they don't hire provisionals except for special ed. Then, a couple hours later, they called me to schedule the screening for the 2nd day. Then they told me AGAIN that they won't hire provisionals, but that they would "be in touch." Then, a month later they called me to say they wanted to do an on-site interview but were not able to schedule until July and last month the job fair recruiter sent me an email saying they wanted to schedule interviews in July and would be in touch.

15. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jul 1, 2009

Wow...I didn't realize this post had so many responses! I have taken the Praxis and passed, it's just the literacy one I didn't take yet (because you have to take it in VA - no out of state places to take it). So far, I applied to Stafford via their online application. They have SO many job postings so hopefully I'll get a call. If they even call this month for me to start in September (wishful thinking), then I still have time to tell my principal that I won't be taking the interim position. Anyway, thanks for the info. I'm applying to Manassas too. :)

16. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2009

Stafford is right near Quantico Marine Base, so I'm sure they have a lot of teachers come and go. Stafford itself is fairly expensive, but Fredericksburg is close enough to commute from.

I think most (all?) Virginia schools are starting back on the 8th of September this year. Super late.

17. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jul 1, 2009

We start on Sept. 8th so I'm used to it, but we got out on June 24th...super late because of snow days.

18. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

I used to teach in Stafford and taught in Spotsylvania (which is where I grew up)too. I lived in Fredericksburg. The traffic would be a lot better here than in NOVA but not as much city life stuff to do. There a commuter train (VRE) that runs up to DC. There is a high teacher turnover in a lot of places around Stafford because of the nature of government jobs in DC and the marines. Let me know if you get an interview. I might know people or have insight on some of the schools in Stafford. My mom retired from Spotsy.

Smurfette, there's a Wegman's in Fredericksburg now!

19. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jul 1, 2009

Melissa - if you have any contacts still at Stafford, please let me know. I was originally going to apply for mid-year jobs because I was offered an interim position until Dec. But, if I can get a job in VA starting in September, that would be great!

20. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jul 1, 2009

Also, do you know how long it takes them to contact you after completing your online application? I just did it today, but I'm curious how fast they respond if they are interested.