Violence Against Teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherEast, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

Oh boy, Master Pre-K...what is up with your director? I shudder to think what he/she would do if there was open gunfire or something. Is there an emergency plan or anything to help keep those children safe from harm?

Unfortunately, many people have the attitude that it won't happen to them. Believe me, it does- I've been through many things I would have never expected to experience first hand. You always have to be ready- especially in today's world.

2. weisemaries

weisemaries Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I feel that self-defence training for all teachers is a good plan. If I do not find a new job this year, I will be signing up for a course myself. Last school year, I had my wrist sprained by a student and then that same student punch me in the face at the end of year.

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2007

Living in L.A., a lot of things I noticed are easily ignored. They tend to be rather lax, and take things for granted, IMO.

Also, the Hollywood mindset doesn't help matters either.

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2007

Nice to meet you! Did you sue that family? I am a big advocate of equal and fair treament for all, especially teachers.

Now, repeat after me:

It is not if I find a new job...it is WHEN I find a new job!

5. weisemaries

weisemaries Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Thanks for your encouragement! I have another interview tomorrow with a different school district. As for the student issue, things were taken care of. Even if I do return, he will not be allowed to be in my classroom.

6. lorac

lorac Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

My grandma who was born in 1925 changed schools YEARS ago after a first or second grader put her in the hospital. This was well before my time - and I'm 30! (I think it was either before my mom was born or while she was little - she was born in 1955)

7. TeacherEast

TeacherEast New Member

Jul 27, 2007

I think this is a great idea. I think the problem is a lot worse than people believe. Just google stories on teachers being hurt in school. There are a ton of stories. I think something should be done.

8. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 27, 2007

Our school is right off of a major highway (I can see the cars from my window) and last year we implemented a plan for such incidents. We even got the PTC club to provide walkie talkies for each room so that we can communicate with other teachers, the fire station and the police. Now don't get me wrong....my school sits in small town America and is VERY mild and quaint....but so was the school in Pennsylvania where those little girls were killed. It is just the ugly truth of the horrible world we live in where even at school terrible things can happen. All schools-private and public-need to be prepared. It could be an angry parent with a custody issue or a stranger that runs in off the street. I feel safer knowing there is a plan in place that we have practiced and I know back-up of the best kind is not far away.

9. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 2, 2007

Unfortunetly, (sp?) I think it is def a reality teachers face. I was teaching in the inner city- actually it was at a church. I was teaching 10th grade ccd and I was in 11th grade. I had the class to myself, I had 13 students and half came from one city and the other half from another city. They were rival high school teams and they brought that into the classroom. A lot of the students were into drugs and had family problems- I was a volunteer teacher and no one would take this class. But, in the end I was threatened with my life and I seriously thought that student was going to kill me. The office was no support although I was able to get that student out of my room- the student still stalked me for the remainder of the year. It was scary and I think self defense classes are necessary regardless of where you are working.

10. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 2, 2007

I have never really been afraid of my students, but I have been scared of some of their genuinely creepy parents.

11. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 2, 2007

My students were in 1st grade, so I was never scared of them either, even when one would throw chairs or knock down bookcases. There were a few parents I was scared of, especially one from last year. I refused to meet with her without an administrator present and refused to let her in my classroom. The office got to know her face.

On the fight issue, honestly, I don't physically break up fights that happen in the hallway or outside because of the issue of someone accusing me of hurting a child. I refuse to do it. I am not going to lose my job or hurt my career over the untrue statements of a child. I will "verbally" try to get the children to break it up, but that is as far as it goes.

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

and it depends on whether administration will back you up, or expects you to take some type of action.

Usually, just blowing a whistle acknowledges the fact that your are an adult, and a staff member, and something is going on. If you do this, you really don't have to get involved, or attempt to break up the fight. Hopefully, other staff members will come, and soon the administration and/or security will come on the scene!

If, however, kids are brawling all over the floor, and you make the mistake of walking by, thinking 'boy, those 6th graders are terrible', you, I am sure, can expect to be called into the office. Simply because they are not your kids, or your grade level, doesn't seem to exempt you from intervening. On the otherhand, I would see teachers try to stop kids fighting on the way home from school. It hurts me to see this, but I wouldn't get out of my car, and stop them! Once I am off, and they are off school property, my liability is over!

So, in a nutshell, you are darned if you do, darned if you don't. Especially outside of schoool, because that is when most parents, and neighborhood kids jump in.

and by the way, I am in pre-k, and I don't let their size fool me! I have seen them do some awful things!!! throwing chairs and knocking over bookcases is just the beginning!!!!