Video about the future of retirement

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jul 9, 2019.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 9, 2019

If you have 10 minutes, watch this video and share your thoughts with me.

Makes me wonder what I’ll do if I have to work into my 70s. There’s no way I can keep this stride going until then.

mrsf70, futuremathsprof and whizkid like this.
  3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 9, 2019

I am actually hoping to work into my early 70s. The job you have now may not be one you would want into those years, but maybe you will have moved up into a central office position. Not to sound snarky, but those folks don't deal with the kinds of stress site-based positions do.

The main retirement expenses they talked about were housing and health care. Do I remember that you bought a house a while ago? The best move I can think of for housing in retirement is to have a paid-off house. Health care, does your district provide any post-retirement benefits? Mine does, and that is a big part of why I am trying to get 20 years in before retiring. Many districts don't offer that though, so I'm not sure how to prepare for it other than factoring it into your expected monthly costs. (Medicare Part B has a monthly cost, for example.) Where people really go through their assets is if they require long-term care. That is also very hard to plan for, and for that I'm just hoping I need it for a very short time, if at all.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 9, 2019

I actually bought my first house 10 years ago. Sold it a few months ago and purchased a new one. I’ve been here about 2 months now.

I’m going to start a Roth IRA. I got a 403(b) up and running a few years ago, but I need to get more aggressive with putting money aside.

To be perfectly honest, I have no desire to work at the district office. I’d happily take a pay cut and go back to the classroom than work with adults all day long. Yuck.

My district provides post-retirement benefits until the age of 65 (once Medicare kicks in).

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jul 9, 2019

This is what I'd like to see at pd if for no other reason than to have a discussion and not the same regurgitated topics. That's why I'm looking ahead and I probably won't retire for at least another 25 years. Get vested to collect my first pension, move into a public sector job for another, take SS at 62 and my ROTH will be my last asset I'll touch. At least that's the plan. Home and vehicles paid for. Stay in the best health possible. Might have a side hustle in the near future just add another level of financial backing.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jul 9, 2019

I'm just the opposite.

7. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jul 9, 2019

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jul 9, 2019

This is why I keep telling teachers to save more for retirement! Seriously, people. I keep hearing on here how teachers are “not in it for the money” and they are just going to rely on their teacher pensions and Social Security. Guess what? Your teacher pensions are not enough. For example, I already showed one poster on here who teaches in VA that instead of getting $5,000/month pre-tax like they thought they would in retirement that they will actually being getting $2,550/month (if their average final compensation package is $60,000 and they work 30 years with the district) OR $1,700/month pre-tax if they work 20 years with the district. That’s practically nothing and with the rise in inflation, they won’t be able to survive on that in the distant future. If those people don’t have a home that is paid off by then and they have to rent and have medical problems, then they will struggle immensely until they die...

Most people aren’t aware that if they save just $100 per month and put that money into a Roth IRA (which grows at an annual interest rate of 7-9% historically) from the age that they are 25 to 65 that they will have over $1,000,000 in retirement (assuming only 7% interest). The scary thing is if that same person waits until they are 35 (so just a difference of 10 years) to start saving $100/month at the same rate, that they will only have $300,000 in retirement! That’s a loss of $700,000 for waiting only 10 years, which is huge.

People, save while you are young because you have time on your side. In my situation, I’m literally saving 50-70% of my income (and I’m 27) because I don’t want to be one of these old people who cannot afford housing and have to ration food and medical supplies. I want to retire with dignity and I will. Yes, I had to give up most of my 20’s to pay off debt and save (student loans, check; car loans, check; credit cards, check; emergency fund, check; stocks, check; etc), but it will pay off for the rest of my life. I will be able to retire at 50 or sooner (most likely sooner at this rate) and I won’t even have to touch my Roth IRA for YEARS.

I don’t want to have to work until my body completely gives out on me. What kind of life is that? Start investing if you haven’t. Don’t solely rely on your teacher pension. Chicago teachers are doomed right now, New Jersey teachers are well on their way to becoming the next Chicago, and California teachers are becoming New Jersey (we have over a $97.2 billion deficit with our state teacher pension system). Major teacher reform is GOING to happen and teachers need to protect themselves because their benefits are going to be slashed at some point. The programs are largely insolvent.

So, put money in savings, put money in a money-market account, buy stocks (index funds), buy government-backed bonds, open a Roth IRA that has minimal fees and that invests in mutual funds, and closely follow the markets. Last but not least, look into Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies — I’ve already made a $9,200 ROI in a couple of months!

Don’t get complacent. Be smart with your money, make risky investments when you are young and more moderate and conservative investments as you age. Don’t. Just. Rely. On. Your. Teacher. Pension. Hopefully, by the time you retire you have multiple investment vehicles, so that you don’t have to worry. Mark my words, you will regret it when you are older (especially you young folk in my age group) if you make the mistakes that so many others before you have made.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    whizkid likes this.
  9. futuremathsprof

Jul 9, 2019

10. futuremathsprof

Jul 9, 2019

11. futuremathsprof

Jul 9, 2019

12. futuremathsprof

Jul 9, 2019

13. futuremathsprof

Jul 9, 2019

14. futuremathsprof

Jul 10, 2019

Early 70’s?! Yikes.

15. futuremathsprof

Jul 10, 2019

How old are you now and how old will you be when you plan to retire? If you are in your 30’s, why did you wait until now to start investing, especially with your level of income?

Please note: I do not mean to sound judgmental or abrasive here. I genuinely am curious about your situation, provided that you are willing to share, of course.

Thank you for your time.

16. futuremathsprof

Jul 10, 2019

Hm, “unsustainable pension promises” seems to be a common theme here. This is why I advocate that districts should pay teachers more NOW and less benefits when they retire because said benefits are getting cut or diminished anyway. It’s a double whammy. Think about it: You are paid less throughout your career and then you have a meager retirement and not the benefits that you were promised.

That’s why I don’t like teacher unions because they keep bargaining for long-term contracts that districts and state cannot afford. It would make more sense to pay teachers a higher salary and have them invest the difference in the stock market and in a Roth IRA then just CalSTRS and other STRS’s...

17. futuremathsprof

Jul 10, 2019

Invest at least 30% of your take-home pay and you will “sit really pretty” once you retire.

18. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 10, 2019

I am actually hoping to work into my early 70s. The job you have now may not be one you would want into those years, but maybe you will have moved up into a central office position. Not to sound snarky, but those folks don't deal with the kinds of stress site-based positions do.

Well, I can see that to someone in their 20's that might seem depressing, but I'm about to turn 60 and have only been teaching for 8 years. I am currently healthy and actually love my job, so sure, I hope to teach another 10 years or more. This is my third career, and the one I have gotten the most enjoyment and satisfaction from.

19. futuremathsprof

Jul 10, 2019

Do really want to work your whole life though, practically? What if you your health turns for the worst (hopefully never)? That means you will have worked your entire life. I’d rather work to live and not live to work.

I, myself, want to vacation constantly and don’t want to work until I’m too old and feeble to do anything, haha! I am going to probably invest even more heavily because my financial advisor said that I could retire in my mid forties if I play my cards right. I was like, “Sign me up!”

20. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 10, 2019

I travel, have raised kids and enjoy my free time. Working does not mean you can't do other things, especially when you have weeks off at a time. Retirement looks kind of boring, compared to my job, which again, I love. Why wouldn't I work as much of my adult life as possible? I honestly feel that through my work I make a positive impact on my community. In retirement, I'm not so sure that will be the case, certainly not to the extent I am now.

bella84 and futuremathsprof like this.
  21. futuremathsprof

Jul 10, 2019

Very true. And not to be a contrarian, but the years and years of service you’ve devoted yourself surely has made a positive impact in your community. That won’t end just because you retire as the lives you’ve impacted will flourish thereafter.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019