Veteran Tchrs Please Respond - If I Had Known...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ayotte04, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2007

Another one: The material is IMPORTANT!!!!! All the other stuff matters too, but the material is important!!!! You've got to get the kids to know the material, and you've got to finish the syllabus. Sometimes it's hard; the kids don't always know all you would like them to know coming in. And snow days and administrative decisions can wreak havoc on your planning. But you've got to know the material-- cold-- and you've got to get through it. Well, not "the last chapter in two days" kind of getting through it.

2. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2007

Not sure if anyone said this before, but...

Keep records of everything related to student behavior and parent contact. Whenever you have to have a conference with a kid or his parent about disruptive or inappropriate behaviors, write that down in a log. This way, parents can't turn around later and say that you never notified them of problems with their students, and it helps you see patterns of behavior in your students.

I have students fill out student inventories at the beginning of the year. These include basic info like home telephone numbers and whether their parents speak English, as well as some other stuff like student interests and club activities they're involved with. On the back of this form is a giant table/log with space for the date, type of contact, behavior addressed, blah blah blah. I keep these pages organized by class in a binder on my desk.

3. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Jun 12, 2007

:angel: I had an incredible "Halloween" bulletin board the first year. It was the only one I ever had!! I still remember the night before Parent Conferences (my first) taking down the suddenly "dated" bulletin board. Conferences in our district are usually the first week in November. It's sooooooo much easier to put up a fall tree and stick a pumpkin under it. Keep this in mind at Christmas, too! If you focus on snow people ... you can leave for the holidays without doing a makeover!

4. eph612

eph612 New Member

Jun 12, 2007

During my 1st year of teaching, if I had known what I know now, I would have done some things differently:) But that's the magic of teaching...you get to grow with your students. I just finished up five years of teaching in middle school and loved every minute of it. I am now moving on to one of my other loves...teaching high school. Enjoy your adventure...I have been enjoying mine:)

5. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

- poor planning leads to poor teaching

- spilt milk really is only spilt milk (don't sweat the small stuff - it's all small stuff)

- kids really just want to have fun, so teach them in a fun way

6. AHB

AHB Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

I would like to have known so many things I couldn't possibly write them all down and have forgotten plenty. Needless to say I've learned a bunch in the 6 years I've been teaching and still look to veteran teachers, the Internet, and good friends who are not teachers for great tips. I guess what I'm saying is find out who the smart people are and hang out with them :)