Verbal Offer

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by hcsawyer, Jun 26, 2017.

1. hcsawyer

hcsawyer New Member

Jun 26, 2017

I have a B.A. in Spanish and a MA Teaching license for 5-12 for Spanish, but I did not take an education track in college and have no student teaching experience. I applied for a .5 middle school Spanish teacher position this week, got an email from the interm principal the same day, had a meeting with him the day after, and an official interview the day after that.

We talked about my lack of teaching experience in the interview, and they seem desperate enough to fill the position that they're willing to work around it. At the end of the interview I was told that as long as my references checked out and as long as I passed the background check, I had the job.

I believe I was the only candidate that they were interviewing, and I know they want the position filled asap. I also know that 2/3 of my references will most likely be difficult to contact this time of year. If reference #3 gives me a glowing review, do you think that will be good enough for them to move forward with me? I hate being stuck in this limbo. I want to be excited about this, but considering nothing is official yet, I'm over worrying about everything.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2017

Don't take it for granted. Keep sending out your resume until you have an offer on hand.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  4. Teachis4m3

Teachis4m3 Rookie

Jul 7, 2017

This
    Also, I talked to a lawyer before and they told be about something called Promissory Estoppel when people promise things and breach of that promise injures you.
    He said, for me, That if I was told I was secure in my job and because of that, I turned down invites to apply elsewhere and ... then found out my job was not secure I could then have something to hold them to.

I say always keep looking.
    It sounds like a letter of Intent, with conditions, but only verbally. <<which is a good thing if he is honest.
    If you don't get it maybe 2 things:
    He wasn't honest to begin with and THANK GOD you escaped that huge risk!
    or
    There was an issue with your reference check
    Check your references (Have someone call to check for you)

5. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Companion

Jul 7, 2017

A verbal offer is worth the paper it's written on. I know that's not what you'd like to hear, but until the contract is signed, keep applying and interviewing elsewhere. In this situation, promissory estoppel does not apply and you'd have no proof of promise even if it did.

6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2017

I keep holding until you have signed a contract, there's NO job offer! That's why I keep applying to see who offers me a contract first.

7. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jul 10, 2017

My first teaching job I got a verbal offer and started the job 2 months later. They never checked my references until after I already started. It was a hard position to fill so I'm sure they were going to hire me no matter what.
    My second job, they didn't offer me anything but wanted until the school board approved me and then gave me a call to let me know I was approved (threw me off because I wasn't aware they sent my name to be approved.) I don't think they checked my references at all.
    You can just call and confirm with them.

8. teacher1234567

teacher1234567 New Member

Jul 17, 2017

In a similar situation...Did you get offered the job in writing?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017