Venting about how the year is going.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by txmomteacher2, Sep 13, 2017.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2017

It seems like I am going to be in the minority, but this is my take on the issue; When we get our new kinders every year, some of them have never set foot in a classroom, and for some of the parents, this is their first time sending a child to school. So, not only do we have to teach our young students proper school rules and etiquette, we also have to train the parents. It is in everyone's best interest to get them accustomed to school experiences that are going to follow them from year to year. It is also in the parent's and children's best interest to learn that they can't dictate what will happen in the classroom. So, this is what the OP is trying to get across...it is her classroom and she sets the boundaries and standards. Imagine that water bottle or pencil parent six or seven years down the road continuing to demand that they set the classroom requirements for their little snowflake. What we would have is a generation of demanding, unruly, irresponsible middle schoolers.
    So, I agree that the water bottle and pencil parents need to be stopped in their tracks now.

2. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2017

This was my point! Totally!!!!

3. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Sep 14, 2017

Very true! And this puts future teachers in a tough spot. "Mrs. txmomteacher2 gave into our whims! Unfair!"

Thanks for sharing this!

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2017

And sometimes just coming to an anonymous forum to vent and seek advice is all that is needed to make one feel more confident to address issues in our life head on.

5. txmomteacher2

Sep 15, 2017

Or perhaps I was not seeking advice at all, but I have been there and I feel your pain and a virtual hug from people who walk in my shoes everyday.

6. txmomteacher2

Sep 15, 2017

What would be the point of telling the parents? I think both of them were trying to get there way like their 5 year olds want by throwing a tantrum or at least tattling on me. Especially the one who wanted the water bottle. If she had explained to me that her daughter needed it for a medical reason I would have treated the situation differently. She didn't tell me that though, she told the principal. All it did was make me look like I was being a bitch and not letting her daughter get drinks. And by the way why do you come to this forum???

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 15, 2017

Sometimes it helps to vent to people with no faces. If you don't like vent posts, the best thing would be to avoid them.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 15, 2017

Yeah, especially if the title of the post mentioned VENTING. Just skip the post if you don't like them. I see the same thing on Facebook. People put in their own 2 cents where it's not warranted. I don't know why some people come here although I guess if you act like that in real life it's hard to make friends :whistle:

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2017

I feel you on the pencil thing. I would absolutely push back against that type of request. I like the idea a PP mentioned of sending home one pencil to tide the student over until the family could purchase some. That seems reasonable and fair, and I can afford to send a single pencil here and there from time to time.

10. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Sep 15, 2017

Intellectually, I understand that some instances of poverty a pencil at home is the last thing on a family's mind.

And yet, every other part of me... seriously, you can't find a pencil and you're complaining to the principal about it? Really. I'm sure you can find a pencil in significantly less time than yelling at the school.

Again, pencils, I'm blessed to be lousy with pencils in my classroom until likely the end of days. Kids asks for a pencil, I automatically say "sure" without thinking about it. For me, water bottles and pencils are small things that I'm generally fine with.

But I agree. Sure, sending a pencil home or allowing a water bottle are small things. But, so are keeping a pencil at your own home and using the in-class drinking fountain. @txmomteacher2 has logical reasons for her policy regarding one set of small things. I probably have classroom policies that would drive some of you crazy as "why that hill of dying?" Why? Because of my own particular set of little things and circumstances.

11. txmomteacher2

Sep 18, 2017

If this family was needing a pencil I would have given them a pencil. This family however is not "needing" a pencil. I know were they live, I know what kind of car they drive, I know what kind of clothes their son wears to school. I know they don't NEED me to give them a pencil.

Backroads likes this.
  12. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 18, 2017

So if you want to make it an issue, tell them the district does not budget for take home pencils. Then she'll go to the principal and he'll send a pack home with him.

13. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Sep 18, 2017

Part of me is amused at that one future day when she can't find an administrator that will budge...

14. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 18, 2017

This does make sense, and I'm glad to see it from that point of view, but I do think a better response would be, "Each teacher is able to make his/her own policies. Have you talked with the teacher about it?" I think, on these small things, principals should refuse to solve the problems unless harm is happening. We all have our own picky little things (not a judgement on the water bottle issue at all). Principals and parents need to respect that, unless there's a school wide policy or medical issue, teachers should be able to set their own policies. If a parent has a problem with it, they should be encouraged to talk to the teacher, but the teacher should have the ultimate say.

Backroads likes this.
  15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 18, 2017

With that said, if a teacher told my fictional child they couldn't keep a water bottle in class, i'd staple educational research to their shirts and give them a water bottle too.

a2z and bella84 like this.
  16. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 18, 2017

Without talking to the teacher first, though?

17. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 18, 2017

The assumption would be they already declared a no water bottle policy. Otherwise there'd be no reason to send research to explain how wrong they are.

18. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Sep 18, 2017

And what if your kid has issues not treating the water bottle as a toy?

otterpop likes this.
  19. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 18, 2017

Right. But my point is, would you not contact the teacher first to say, Ms. Smith, I was wondering if you could explain the reasoning behind the water bottle policy?

Certainly, giving the teacher the benefit of the doubt that there might be a legitimate reason that you hadn't considered is more respectful than waging war right away without asking to hear the teacher's point of view.

Same goes for any classroom policy. It's always good to kindly ask about something rather than just assuming the teacher is nutso and you are undeniably right.

Perhaps the teacher thinks drinking water is terrible and she hates when kids go to the bathroom so often. By all means, send in the research and contact the principal. But also, maybe the teacher had two chromebooks ruined last year in a 1-1 classroom where chromebooks are used all day, and there's a perfectly fine filtered water fountain two steps away. Who knows. What do you have to lose in asking?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Caesar753 likes this.
  20. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 19, 2017

If the teacher was making kids self conscious about how often they used the bathroom, I'd think that was worse than their water policy. I'm going off the vibe I've gotten from the posts and determined reasoning wouldn't work. My fictional child would be my priority, not the feelings of an adult. A water bottle and the use of the bathroom whenever necessary are reasonable expectations. The pencil thing is rediculous.

bella84 likes this.
  21. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Sep 19, 2017

I agree. I would have a major issue with kids not being allowed to drink from a water bottle simply because of the bathroom. I don't think that I should have to refrain from drinking water because I might need to use the bathroom more often, so I certainly wouldn't hold kids to that either. In my classroom, I encourage students to bring water bottles. I'd rather them be in the room, not missing anything, than having to leave the classroom to get hydrated, and I think hydration is a priority. We do have a conversation about being aware of how much water we are drinking and how it can make us need to use the bathroom more often (because I don't think that third graders have always quite made that connection, but I do think that they are capable of understanding it and being wise about it), but bathroom use doesn't prevent them from being able to drink from a water bottle. If I really think that a kid is going to the bathroom way too often, I'll have a private conference with them to see what's up (Is it because they are drinking too much water, too fast? Is it because they have a health issue? Is it because they are using the bathroom as an excuse to leave the classroom when they don't really need to go?). I also talk to my students about how it's okay to use the bathroom but about how they should be aware of finding an appropriate time to go (not in the middle of a lesson, unless it's an emergency). I consider this a life skill that they need to learn - might as well learn it young.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2017

It was over 30C in my classroom yesterday and likely will be all week. For homework last night, my students are to bring in a water bottle today. If kids are playing with them, they are moved to the back counter. It's still easy for the kids to get a drink when they need one, but the distraction is removed.

AlwaysAttend, Backroads and bella84 like this.
  23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 19, 2017

I do remember the OP stating that there is a water fountain in the classroom so the students are not DENIED water. I think everyone is forgetting this and making a mountain out of a molehill. The parent is just being nitpicky and it's obvious. The parent didn't ask if the teacher could make an exception because of XYZ. She went straight to the principal because of the "foul injustice" that was going on with this despicable teacher.

Caesar753 and txmomteacher2 like this.