Venting about how the year is going.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by txmomteacher2, Sep 13, 2017.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2017

Well I am sooo happy for you that your day and the battles you have don't make you want to vent on a page for teachers. Where everyone should be able to come on here and say what we feel without feeling like she is just a complainer!!! Havent you ever had a parent make a ridiculous request? and you were mad about it and you need to vent to people who understand??? Well let me know where you teach and Ill be glad to come teach in your perfect world.

2. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Sep 13, 2017

ALL THE TIME!!! I see the big picture in education and I love my job. I create my happiness in my classroom and I truly enjoy my students and value them. Parents will always be that way and I view it is part of the job. I am a professional and I do not let it eat away at me when I go home. I go home and have a life and do not think about school. When I arrive the next day I am refreshed and ready to be the best for my students and teach and nurture them.

Backroads likes this.
  3. txmomteacher2

Sep 13, 2017

Seriously don't any of you ever get tired of how parents treat us? This is really what this thread is about. Not the water bottle itself. Just the fact that she took the time to call the principal. She got what she wanted, I got an email telling me I had to let her use a water bottle. But I haven't seen a water bottle come in. She made a huge deal to the principal that her daughter gets sick if she is not hydrated. She was told to have it documented by the doctor. No note or water bottle has shown up in my classroom. I personally think, How dare she make a huge deal out of it and NOT send that dang water bottle because I am not supplying that either. As for the pencil thing, I have limited numbers of pencils I can not go around giving a pencil to every kids that needs one at home. Use the pen I don't care. Why should I have to spend my time asking for donated pencils. Pencils cost a 1.00 at the dollar store.

Caesar753, svassillion and swansong1 like this.
  4. txmomteacher2

Sep 13, 2017

Well then truly you are a better person than I. I never said I don't like my job in fact I love my job. But there are somedays when it gets the best of me. Today is one of those days. So I thought I would come here get a little support from people who "understand" and well I didn't. I got the well you should do this and you should do that. and I should just give into all the parents demands., Why don't I just let them come in and teach my class too!!!!

5. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Sep 13, 2017

You don't but remember that parents will always be this way. That is not going to change. So learn to just take it as part of the job and not let it get under your skin. Yes, I can get frustrated by it, but I just laugh it off because I know it's a losing battle.
    HAHA! Parents are getting the best of you and you are frustrated. It is just part of the job. You need to learn to laugh it off and move on.

6. txmomteacher2

Sep 13, 2017

Really I usually do, today not sooo much. I am usually a go wiith the flow kind of person. I have been teaching 11 years. I am very used to crazy parents. Just a lot of things all just boiled over today.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Sep 13, 2017

SpecialPreskoo and Backroads like this.
  8. rpan

rpan Comrade

Sep 14, 2017

I understand your frustration, I think everyone here understands your frustration. But many of us just shrug off the stuff that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. How the kid stays hydrated doesn't matter; writing in pen or pencil even crayon doesn't matter, if homework is done and the student has gone through the thought processes we want them to. Your P has probably realised that a water bottle isn't really worth fighting for and has given in on that quick fast. It doesn't mean he agrees with the parent on principle, just that he acknowledges it's not worth the trouble.

Parents will want what they want and make requests of us that they really shouldn't, but that's the way it is and that's how it's going to be. We have to accept it is what it is. Some days we have more patience for it and some days we don't. I suspect today is one of those days for you.

txmomteacher2 and bella84 like this.
  9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 14, 2017

I would have sent a pencil one time and said this pencil can hold the student over until some pencils are acquired at home. After that, you should be done. I guess the water bottle issue wasn't as important as the parent thought since the student didn't come in with one. Seems like the parent just didn't like your answer about the water fountain and had a hissy fit.

10. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2017

@txmomteacher2, I'm sorry to hear you're so stressed. I'll say vent away.

Pencils... I've done this before. I have so many pencils. I inherited a bunch when I took over my classroom and the families at this school really like donating pencils. (In fact, any time, message me and I'll send you a bunch--this goes for anyone). I have had many kids ask to take home a pencil to complete the homework I no longer send home (so this was in years past) and I said yes without thinking about. (I also think I'm pencil-conservative enough to keep from going through them--I encourage kids to use the most out of them and Johnny doesn't need 85 pencils in his pencil pouch).

Water bottles--I sort of encourage them, at least not discourage them. I have a drinking fountain across the hall, but it's across the hall and, well, 7-year-olds. Though I banned them for the last short stretch of a few weeks last year after one student dumped them all out and damaged a bunch of property, they're back this year. When one doesn't have emotionally disturbed students prone to dumping out water bottles the benefits of the bottles in my classroom outweigh the issues.

I did set up further rules about my water bottles, though. They had to have proper spouts. I have one little drama queen (cute, cute girl, but a drama queen) who says her mom can't afford to buy her a water bottle with a spout. I just said "I'm sorry to hear it, remember the class signal to step into the hall for bathroom/drink/breather." She actually replied "You're not going to buy me one?" and I said "Nope, that's your family's responsibility, but it's not a big deal, you can always use the drinking fountain."

But I get it. Why do you get the brunt of Mom's hissy fit over taking the trouble to call the principal over this stuff?

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2017

It seems like I am going to be in the minority, but this is my take on the issue; When we get our new kinders every year, some of them have never set foot in a classroom, and for some of the parents, this is their first time sending a child to school. So, not only do we have to teach our young students proper school rules and etiquette, we also have to train the parents. It is in everyone's best interest to get them accustomed to school experiences that are going to follow them from year to year. It is also in the parent's and children's best interest to learn that they can't dictate what will happen in the classroom. So, this is what the OP is trying to get across...it is her classroom and she sets the boundaries and standards. Imagine that water bottle or pencil parent six or seven years down the road continuing to demand that they set the classroom requirements for their little snowflake. What we would have is a generation of demanding, unruly, irresponsible middle schoolers.
    So, I agree that the water bottle and pencil parents need to be stopped in their tracks now.

12. txmomteacher2

Sep 14, 2017

This was my point! Totally!!!!

13. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2017

Very true! And this puts future teachers in a tough spot. "Mrs. txmomteacher2 gave into our whims! Unfair!"

Thanks for sharing this!

14. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Sep 14, 2017

Then why not tell the parents and go on with your life? You are skirting the issue and letting it eat away at you after school hours causing you to come vent on a forum.

I think you are trying to get advice on how to avoid confrontation and get your way as well, that will not happen. Being a teacher requires you to put your foot down and stand on your principles ready to face confrontation head on.

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2017

And sometimes just coming to an anonymous forum to vent and seek advice is all that is needed to make one feel more confident to address issues in our life head on.

16. txmomteacher2

Sep 15, 2017

Or perhaps I was not seeking advice at all, but I have been there and I feel your pain and a virtual hug from people who walk in my shoes everyday.

17. txmomteacher2

Sep 15, 2017

What would be the point of telling the parents? I think both of them were trying to get there way like their 5 year olds want by throwing a tantrum or at least tattling on me. Especially the one who wanted the water bottle. If she had explained to me that her daughter needed it for a medical reason I would have treated the situation differently. She didn't tell me that though, she told the principal. All it did was make me look like I was being a bitch and not letting her daughter get drinks. And by the way why do you come to this forum???

18. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 15, 2017

Sometimes it helps to vent to people with no faces. If you don't like vent posts, the best thing would be to avoid them.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 15, 2017

Yeah, especially if the title of the post mentioned VENTING. Just skip the post if you don't like them. I see the same thing on Facebook. People put in their own 2 cents where it's not warranted. I don't know why some people come here although I guess if you act like that in real life it's hard to make friends :whistle:

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2017

I feel you on the pencil thing. I would absolutely push back against that type of request. I like the idea a PP mentioned of sending home one pencil to tide the student over until the family could purchase some. That seems reasonable and fair, and I can afford to send a single pencil here and there from time to time.