Venting about how the year is going.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by txmomteacher2, Sep 13, 2017 at 8:40 PM.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:40 PM

We are almost to the end of the 4th week and I am just.... well to be honest blah!!! I can't seem to connect with this class or their parents. This group as a whole grade level is very chatty, aggressive in their behavior, immature. We as teachers are having a very hard time managing this group.(not just me it is all 6 of us) This group is VERY boy heavy and they are immature to say the least. When talking to all the teachers the birthdays are mostly early spring to Sept 1. Which means young!!!!!! And there seems to be NO accountability at home for anything. They expect me to practically breathe for them. Not one of them can do simple basic tasks without having to be spoon fed the directions. And the playing with their hands, picking their noses, making noises are about to drive me insane. I think even the Pre-K kids are better behaved than this bunch of kinders.
    My dealings with parents so far have not been that great either. First one texted me about her daughter not drinking enough water, asked if she could send a water bottle. I told her that I don't allow waterbottles but I will allow her child a drink anytime she needed one. Apparently that answer was not good enough because she called the principal the next morning and I was sent an email that said I was to allow her a waterbottle at her desk. Ok fine done! This was 3 weeks ago haven't seen a waterbottle yet!!!! Oh she was supposed to go to the doctor to get a note saying she needed this so called waterbottle, haven't seen a note from the doctor either. Today, my little one who has not been officially diagnosed on the spectrum but will be, had his poor little world turned upside down at the end of the day when his schedule was changed by Mom who by the way should know that change is NOT good. He threw a major fit at the end of the day. Then the straw that broke my back. A text from a parent who said could you send a pencil home with her kid tomorrow because all they had was pens oh and please make sure it's sharpened. Ok before I'm run through the ringer about the pencil I know this kids parents can afford a 1.00 pack of pencils from the dollar store and a sharpener.
    I tired!! I'm cranky! I need a vacation and it's only day 17!

3. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:12 PM

Personally, I think you should allow your students to have water bottles without notes from a doctor, within reason, of course. I also think it shouldn't be a big deal to send home a sharpened pencil with a student.

All that said, I'm having a rough start, too. The only thing keeping me going is knowing that it gets easier once the beginning of the year wears off.

4. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:24 PM

Give in on the water bottles. If the child needs a pencil then have sharp pencils somewhere and make it the students responsibility to pack one at the end of day. These are areas you don't want to fight because they do not lead to academic success. Stick to your guns on what matters, your management, procedures, and academics.

Backroads likes this.
  5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:26 PM

I think the water bottle goes with what research has told us about hydration and the brain. There's no need to rely on a that's how it's always been philosophy when we know better now.

Pencil is a rediculous request but I think losing the battle on the water bottle means avoiding this one showing up on the principal's desk. You clearly won't be the one to teach this kid responsibility and mom won't be either.

Is this a school issued phone or do you really mean email?

6. txmomteacher2

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:34 PM

I have a perfectly good water fountain in my classroom. I could see having one at their desk if they had to go outside of class to get a drink. If the student asked me to get a drink I would allow her a drink at anytime. The pencil thing, well here is the deal. Our kids rarely bring all the supplies that we ask for. Which comparatively speaking to other lists that I have seen is very minimal. So if I send home a pencil for one kid, then I have to send home for another kid.Then wouldn't you know all of a sudden all 20 kids need a pencil for home. Then kids loose their pencils,so I have to send home more pencils. By mid of the year we have used all the pencils in class plus the pencils I have sent home. We run out of pencils, now who is gonna supply me with pencils for the end of the year. I know I should be spending my own money to pencils, because don't we all spend money on our classroom? Do you see where I am going with this????

7. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:38 PM

Clearly you are taking on the responsibility of the students. I say you have some pencils and tell the students 1 TIME! Then it is their responsibility to grab one if they need one. Most will forget because you will not remind them every day because it is NOT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY! Problem solved with no stress to you.

Backroads likes this.
  8. txmomteacher2

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:39 PM

Why can't the kid just get a drink from my water fountain. I have one in my class!!!! The kids are allowed to get a drink anytime they want. Just give me the signal and they can get one. It's not like I am denying anyone a drink, EVER! I work better when I am hydrated so will the kids. I get that.
    The pencil thing I will probably send home a crappy pencil that I don't use but still the fact is it's not like I have a never ending supply of supplies. Once I start sending it home then who is gonna replace it when I need it. I get tired of spending my money on supplies when I could spend on better academic things for the class.

9. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:40 PM

I see where you're going, but I still wouldn't want to fight that battle.

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:40 PM

If it bothers you that much, let the kid write in pen at home.

Backroads likes this.
  11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:41 PM

Has it been tested for lead lately? You couldn't pay me enough to drink water from school plumbing.

12. txmomteacher2

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:43 PM

Why should it be my responsibility at all to supply a pencil for a child to use at home.

13. txmomteacher2

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:44 PM

I drink from that same water fountain every day there is nothing wrong with it. We are in a fairly new building.

14. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:45 PM

I shift all responsibility to my students. I teach explicit procedures and expectations and only give instructions one time. I have a HW policy where students will sit at recess and do it if not done. I have had students leave it on the desk right under their nose and walk out the door at the end of the day. I don't remind them or tell them they are forgetting their HW. I let them walk right out the door and deal with the consequence the next day because IT IS NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY! By doing this I truly am teaching them responsibility.

15. txmomteacher2

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:45 PM

I personally don't care what the child writes with. Pen pencil crayon, marker, whatever. But what I don't like is having to supply the supplies.

Backroads likes this.
  16. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:46 PM

Just because you're willing to doesn't meannthe rest of us have to.

17. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:47 PM

You said the parents have pens at home. Tell them to use the pens...

txmomteacher2 likes this.
  18. txmomteacher2

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:48 PM

This is what I am trying to teach my kids and apparently my parents as well. I am not responsible for their homework. I should not be responsible for making sure my student has a pencil at home. That should be a parents responsibility.

19. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:49 PM

Cutting off your nose to spite your face don't you think? I assume the reason to assign homework is to reinforce the skill. If it's not important enough to tell them they forgot it, it's probably not important enough to waste their evening doing it either.

Backroads and bella84 like this.
  20. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:52 PM

It is not but it seems this parent
    You are absolutely correct. I would give in on the pencil but that is me. However, it is each teacher who has to pick their battles. I just don't pick battles that make me want to come on a forum and vent.

bella84 and AlwaysAttend like this.
  21. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:59 PM

Honestly, although I am not a huge water drinker, I hate drinking out of water fountains, and I'm not even a huge germaphobe. As long as the water is in a bottle, I would refuse to fight that battle. As far as the pencils, I would hit the thrift stores, tell them you are a teacher, and ask if they could set aside any pencils that are donated - new or used - for the least amount of money, or free, if possible. I have found that the church based thrifts will often do this for virtually nothing. If you are opposed to that, buy the half size golf pencils - Ebay, etc., can get you a steal on those. You will feel less violated if they don't come back, same with pencils from thrift stores. Tell friends and family that you would welcome used pencils for free, as opposed to them being thrown out. If you have a presence on social media, share your need, and stress that they can be somewhat used. I would send the same info out to class parents. Maybe some are unable to provide, but others may be glad to get rid of half used pencils.

The water bottle would be an issue that I would refuse to fight over, and no one said that you had to send home a pristine, new pencil, so adapt and think cheap or free. Perhaps if the parents get a golf pencil or an older, clearly used, but still useable pencil, they will decide they might be able to invest in their own "home" pencils. Either way, it would not be a stressor for me. Try to chill and recognize when you may be making mountains out of mole hills..

I don't care if you want to vent, but please know that those of us who reply are just trying to make your problems less major by sharing our experience and opinions.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 at 10:11 PM
    bella84 likes this.