Vent about attendance!!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by txmomteacher2, Apr 4, 2017.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2017

This seems to be the year where our grade level is full of parents that just don't seem to care about sending their kids to school. At the beginning of the year we had two families who had students that are first grade age but because they didn't bother sending them to school last year we put them in kinder. Those older kids had sibling who were supposed to be in kinder. So we had two sets of siblings in kinder. One set withdrew both of their kids but we know they still around because another teacher saw them at the park. The other set of kids have missed 43 days of school. I figured out today mine has only been in school about 80 something days. Now tomorrow morning I will be getting a student who has not been in school since December. Frustrated to say the least. New truancy laws make it difficult if the student is under 10. Makes it very hard for us!!! Well just another 30 something days is all I can say.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Apr 5, 2017

So maybe this is why kids are doing so poorly in school?????? Not the teacher's fault??? HMMMMMMMMMMM?????????

bella84, Backroads and Caesar753 like this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Fanatic

Apr 5, 2017

I have a few like this too. Our school policy says they may have to repeat a grade if they miss too many days, but that never happens in practice. It's frustrating that there are no consequences for this, and the teacher and student both struggle to catch the student up as a result.

5. txmomteacher2

Apr 5, 2017

Our principal is not one that likes to retain kids. But I think she will retain my one that has missed 43 days and the new one I got today.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2017

Do you have any laws in your state that tie absenteeism to parental neglect?

7. txmomteacher2

Apr 5, 2017

Nope we tried that all ready! They told us that they can't make them send their kids to school.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Apr 5, 2017

I was a LTS in a middle school for 3 months and I remember one girl who missed several days per week. When she did come to class she tried to sleep in the back of the room. I moved her to the front. We were reading a book for an English class and you would have thought the least she could do was read the book while at home. NOPE. Only on chapter 3 by the time the rest of the class was done.

9. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Apr 6, 2017

What state?

10. Backroads

Backroads Connoisseur

Apr 8, 2017

My school is very strict in this regard. Despite being a charter, we aren't selectice about students. It is impossible to get a kid expelled. Unless that kid misses too much school. And yes, we have kids repeating grades over this.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2017

Students are disenrolled in my district when they miss ten consecutive days. Doesbyourvschool have any policies like this? Ignoring chronic absenteeism does a disservice to those students and can have major effects on school funding.

12. txmomteacher2

Apr 8, 2017

We do have a policy about unenrolling them and one child was unenrolled for not coming to school. But the rest of them just have horrible attendance. So they come like 2 days out of the week. My new student who hasn't been to school since December was unenrolled from her previous school for this reason. Doesn't. Make my job any easier because she was unenrolled. Our attendance is tied to our funding too but what you gonna do to kindergartener whose parent just doesn't give a damn about taking their kids to school. This sounds terrible but I'm done worrying about attendance. We have less than a month of school days left. If parents don't care then I'm gonna stop worrying that their child is failing kindergarten. I have other kids who are there everyday that I can help.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Apr 10, 2017

Do the parents have to take the kids to school? No buses?

14. miss-m

miss-m Cohort

Apr 10, 2017

Is kindergarten required there? It's not mandatory in my state, which makes me wonder what they'd really be able to do about truancy for kindergarteners. It absolutely is terrible because it puts the student further behind, but legally there may be nothing that can be done.

Backroads and txmomteacher2 like this.
  15. txmomteacher2

Apr 10, 2017

Yes we do have buses but most of our kids get picked up. No kindergarten is not mandatory but if you enroll your child then there is an attendance requirement of 90% to stay within the law. But that being said they did change truancy laws for children under 10 so basically its ok if you don't send your kids to school because we can't do anything about it.

16. Backroads

Backroads Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2017

Kindergarten and preschool are not required in my state either. I have mixed feelings about that. As far as attendance, if you're not going to send your kid to a reasonable amount of of kindergarten school days, don't sign them up in the first place.

On the tangent of kindergarten not being required, in theory I don't mind it, but the increasing standards do make it unfair. Since kindergarten is often no longer the "introduction to school" that it used to be, in many, many ways it's needed.

17. miss-m

miss-m Cohort

Apr 10, 2017

This is a recent pet peeve of mine. Either don't have required kindergarten and make it low stakes with few or no standards, or make it required with standards that are beneficial to their growth as students.

Backroads likes this.
  18. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2017

Yeah, you send your kid to school 3-4 days a week, and most of those days, they are very tardy. So when your little darling doesn't know a G from an 8 from a hole in the wall, don't wonder why they need to repeat kindergarten! It's epidemic here!

Backroads and txmomteacher2 like this.
  19. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2017

Our state has started to crack down on absences and excessive tardies and sends letters home based on a certain number of absences in a month's time, or total number of absences, or % of the days...and eventually it could go beyond that if needed.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Apr 21, 2017

California has pretty stringent laws regarding attendance. I've sent many families to SARB (School Attendance Review Board). SARB hearings are very serious because they include a police officer, representative from CPS, the district director of pupil services, school counselor, and me.

Prior to referring a family to SARB, they are provided many opportunities to improve: they receive letters from me, have a one-on-one meeting with me, and if all else fails--I put them on the docket for SARB!

When it comes to attendance (both tardies and absences), California doesn't play around! There's Ed Code we have to follow.

Backroads likes this.
  21. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Apr 21, 2017

Once they are enrolled, attendance is required. Before laws were changed here and we could actually do something, lots of kinder parents thought it wasn't mandatory and were awfully surprised to wind up in court. Now that the laws have changed, districts' hands are tied.