Vcla

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Petlover, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Petlover

Petlover Rookie

Jul 6, 2019

Hi!!! I am new to this forum. Looking for help passing the VCLA writing and reading test. Please send anything that you used to help PASS. This test is so simple and yet I am struggling to pass. It’s the last thing left for my licensure.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 6, 2019

How close have you come to passing, and what diagnostic indicators are showing on your score report(s)?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. Petlover

Petlover Rookie

Jul 8, 2019

222 Reading
    204 Writing
    + in unity
    + written summary
    + revising sentences
    + mechanical convections
    The rest are ++ or +++

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 8, 2019

The minimum total passing score for VCLA is 470. Your total score is 426; that means you've got some work to do, but you already knew that.

As far as passing per se, the VCLA score report explanation states that the passing score per subtest is 235 but that it is possible to pass a subtest with a lower score provided the sum of your highest scores on both subtests is 470 or greater. It doesn't much matter whether you can bring a +++ up to a ++++ or a + up to a ++ provided you pick up enough raw points to reach the number of scaled points you need overall. With that said, it makes sense for you to focus on writing skills; LearningExpress's workbook Writing Skills Success in 20 Minutes a Day can help you with sentence-revision questions and mechanical conventions (and there isn't much that dooms an essay faster than weak grammar and faulty conventions (spelling, punctuation, even subject-verb agreement) in the first few sentences).

What do you think is the point of summarizing an article?