VCLA Raw Scores???

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by englteacher, May 22, 2011.

1. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Jun 27, 2018

I'm glad I could help out and I'm pretty sure you passed as long as your essays were decent.

2. HAC

HAC Rookie

Jul 5, 2018

Here are the results of my first round of VCLA testing from June 2018:
    Reading = 248 (77%) = Passed WOOHOO
    Writing = 200 (68%) (Summary & Essays Completed)

I took the written test over today and received a score of 77%. I completed all of the summary and essay parts. I felt I did a better job this time around on the summary and essay responses. I was wondering if I scored at least a 220 based on my results from today. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

futuremathsprof and Ash G like this.
  3. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Jul 5, 2018

You're going to want at least a 222 based off of your reading score because you need a 470 overall to pass. Based off what you scored on the writing I think you should get passed the 222 mark. There is a post on this thread where I put down my scores. I believe I got a 71% on the multiple choice part and it scaled to a score of 230 the second time I took the writing. Keep us posted when you receive the score and may the odds be in your favor.

4. Ashley Tyler

Ashley Tyler Rookie

Jul 7, 2018

I ended up with a 226 on my writing exam. I needed a 227. I missed it by ONE point. I am so disappointed! I am going to request a rescore in hopes there is something that can be changed to improve my score.

5. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Jul 7, 2018

I'm very surprised by a 226 scaled score based off an unofficial score of 82%. I guess you can try a rescore but I heard it most likely won't change. I would just take it again and really focus on the essays.

6. Ashley Tyler

Ashley Tyler Rookie

Jul 7, 2018

I was very surprised. When I saw 82% as an unofficial score, I really thought I would get a higher score than what I received. I figured it wouldn’t hurt to get a rescore. I know it cost but if nothing changes the outcome than I will take it again. I have plenty of time to retake it again. I will focus more on my essays, since that seems to be where I need more improvement. I took the reading exam a few months ago and got an unofficial score of 80% and it ended up being a 243. I was kind of shocked by that score as I thought it would be a little higher. I know that some questions are weighed different. I really felt confident in my essays and not passing especially by one point is stressful and upsetting.

7. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Jul 8, 2018

I hear ya on that because I would be irritated missing by one point. Try the re-score and if it doesn't change just take it again. I wouldn't stress about it because you will eventually pass it!!!!

8. Ashley Tyler

Ashley Tyler Rookie

Jul 9, 2018

You are correct. I am not going to stress about it. I have plenty of time to retake it again. I will study some more on my essay forms and wait until I get an update on the rescore. Fingers crossed that they revise it and add another point in and I pass.

Ash G likes this.
  9. kmowens757

kmowens757 New Member

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:45 AM

Hello all...I re-took the entire test because for some reason I did not do well trying to take the writing portion by itself. I took the test on June 30 so my official results should be available on Friday. Here are my unofficial scores:
    Reading-88%
    Writing-71%

As long as I get a 241 on the reading, I will not have to re-take the test. I predict that my score is at least a 264. I will let you all know the final results once I receive my scores.

Ash G likes this.
  10. kmowens757

kmowens757 New Member

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:48 PM

Praise God...I passed the VCLA on my 2nd complete try...I took the writing by itself& that was not good. So Here are my scores:
    Reading-(raw score) 88% (scaled score 268)
    Writing-(raw score) 71% (scaled score 226)
    My highest Writing score was a 229 so I passed with a composite score of 497.

Ash G likes this.
  11. HAC

HAC Rookie

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:53 PM

Ash G I received my scores back tonight on the VCLA Written Part (scaled score 77%). Test Score 229. Now on to the RVE!!!!

Ash G and futuremathsprof like this.
  12. jazz94

jazz94 New Member

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:44 PM

Hey everyone! Any advice on passing the reading portion of the VCLA? I've never been strong with reading comprehension. I did not pass the first time I took it. I've been studying using flashcard and a study book I bought on Amazon, and I am taking the practice tests on the VCLA website. I'm taking the reading part again this Friday and I'm nervous. Thanks in advance!!

13. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Jul 18, 2018 at 12:44 PM

Website practice problems is your best option in my opinion.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 18, 2018 at 1:11 PM

Try LearningExpress's book Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day. Any edition will do, as long as you take it seriously.