VCLA Raw Scores???

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by englteacher, May 22, 2011.

1. englteacher

englteacher Rookie

May 22, 2011

Good Evening:

I'm new to the site. I took the VCLA this Friday and earned a 71% on the Reading subtest and a 91% on the Writing subtest. Unfortunately, I ran out of time and was unable to complete either of the essays (summary or argument.)
    Are these passing scores? Will I be able to pass the Writing subtest without the essays?

Thank you for your responses.

Nps17 likes this.
  3. englteacher

englteacher Rookie

May 24, 2011

Can someone PLEASE help me with answers to my above questions? Thanks.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

May 24, 2011

If you didn't do the essays, I don't see how you can pass the writing portion; the minimum scores are fairly high as I recall, although you can pass if your cumulative score is high enough.

When I took it, you could split your test into two parts, so you shouldn't need To retake the reading section.

You get the scores in ~2 weeks, so you'll have to wait and see how the scaled score shakes out.

Good luck!

5. englteacher

englteacher Rookie

May 24, 2011

Thank You

Thanks so much! I REALLY appreciate your feedback. If I only have to retake the writing that will be a blessing!!! I scored a 91% on the writing subtest. I just ran out of time and could not complete the essays.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 24, 2011

I'll agree with mollydoll: chances are you'll need to retake the writing section.

Have you already been teaching English somewhere?

7. englteacher

englteacher Rookie

May 24, 2011

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, but I've only taught English and communication on the college level. I really want to teach middle and high school students. I got "side-tracked" teaching college courses during my graduate studies. LOL!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 24, 2011

Ah: then you're almost certainly overthinking the tasks here. You've got company, by the way: remarkably many people struggle with the basic-skills tests not because they don't possess the skills but because they're good enough that they expect the tests to be deeper than they are.

Teacher basic skills tests are looking for you to demonstrate that you can manage an organized essay with a clear thesis, good word choice and syntactic variation, and decent mechanics: in other words, some variation on The Five Paragraph Essay, Plus Or Minus One. (One hears people bellyache about this, but in fact The Five-P is a very useful template for quick-and-dirty writing: I remind clients that it will save them time and grief when they're writing IEPs, reports to the district office, letters to parents, and the like.)

Breathe, please, okay?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. englteacher

englteacher Rookie

May 24, 2011

Thank You

Sounds like a plan @TeacherGroupie, thank you.

10. englteacher

englteacher Rookie

Jun 3, 2011

I passed the VCLA, by the grace of GOD! Although I earned just under a 235 for the writing, my composite score for both the Reading & Writing was a 485...even without the essays.

Joyful! and futuremathsprof like this.
  11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 3, 2011

Congratulations!

12. englteacher

englteacher Rookie

Jun 4, 2011

Thanks!

13. tanem

tanem New Member

Jun 25, 2011

I also ran out of time and couldn't even start writing summary or the argument. :(. I've got 85% from both subtests of VCLA. I am really worried right now. Especially, English being my second language, I should have taken subtests separately. I hope as englteacher's, my composite score will be enough to pass it. Do you think I stand any chance? Thanks.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 25, 2011

Welcome to A to Z, tanem.

We've seen that englteacher passed with scores of 71% and 91% without finishing the essays. It won't surprise me to find that your scores of 85% and 85% will be high enough.

15. tanem

tanem New Member

Jun 25, 2011

Thanks TeacherGroupie :)

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 25, 2011

You're welcome.

If you need to retake, let's talk.

17. tanem

tanem New Member

Jul 1, 2011

Hi TeacherGroupie,

I passed the VCLA :)
    I am including my unofficial scores as a reference for future VCLA test takers:)
    Reading subtest 85%=280
    Writing subtest 85% =224 (without summary and argument)
    Highest total score=504 (required passing score was 470)

Thanks again

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 1, 2011

Congratulations, tanem!

19. NOVAgradstudent

NOVAgradstudent New Member

Aug 3, 2011

Englteacher, do you mind if I ask... what was your final score for reading? I scored a 74% in reading but am hoping my essays are enough to bring my composite score to passing. Thanks.

20. profeloco

profeloco New Member

Jun 24, 2015

VCLA help!

H Tanem

Dear all,

I just took the VCLA and scored 85% on the reading portion and 82% on the writing portion. I was told that 85% is about 280 points. 235 points are required in any of the exams to pass, as long as you score 470 points between the two.
    My question:
    Will the composition part (the score is not provided immediately) adds up to the 85% & 82% or it can take points against?
    I think I did a decent job, but I am just trying to see what to expect.
    It was a hard exam for me since I came to America at age 30.
    I wish good luck to those who are going to take the VCLA and I will be glad to share some tips.

Thanks

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 25, 2015

profeloco, VCLA's Reading subtest consists of multiple-choice questions, and these will have been scored on the spot: nothing further will happen to your 85% on that subtest. Whether 85% will convert into 280 scaled points, or slightly more, or slightly less, remains to be seen.

The Writing subtest consists of multiple choice questions plus some sentence-correction exercises - these account for 50% of available points - and two writing exercises: the summary is worth 20% of available points and the composition is worth 30%. The multiple choice questions were certainly scored at the time of testing and I suspect the sentence-correction exercises were too, so at the moment you have 82% of 50% of possible points in hand, and you're waiting on the other 50%.

According to the score report explanation, http://www.va.nesinc.com/PDFs/VCLA_ISR_Explanation.pdf, one passes VCLA with a combined scaled score of 470 or better. If we assume that your 85% on the Reading subtest translates into 280 scaled points, you'd need only 190 scaled points on the Writing subtest, and your 82% there is certain to give you more than half of the points you need.

I won't declare that you've passed, but I think your chances are pretty good.