VCLA - Freaking Out!

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by bwstump, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Kimberly B

Kimberly B Rookie

Jun 20, 2017

Thank you, I actually lost my teaching position this year because I hadn't passed it yet. But I definitely looking for a tutor.

2. Teacher123456

Teacher123456 Rookie

Jun 20, 2017

Wow! That's unfortunate. Have you passed it since? Did you compete the essays in entirety?

3. Kimberly B

Kimberly B Rookie

Jun 20, 2017

Sorry about those mistakes I was typing fast. I just took it again two weeks ago and got my scores back this pass Friday. My contract is up June 30th and it's already posted on school website. My Sped kids are going to really be upset. Yes i did complete my essays and used one of their study models format which was scored as a 3pt. Essay and still no points.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 20, 2017

I believe VCLA is still a Pearson test, rather than Praxis. Pearson's basic-skills writing exams generally involve two (trained) human scorers, and this is to the test taker's advantage: an essay that is somewhat unorthodox in approach but that fulfills the prompt is much likelier to be looked on favorably by at least one human scorer than it is if scored by machine.

Basic-skills test writing isn't so much about writing excellently as it is about writing adequately: adequate attention to stating a thesis that suits the prompt and defending that thesis with evidence that is both sufficient and relevant, adequate attention to organizing sentences and paragraphs and indicating transitions, adequate attention to the needs and expectations of the audience specified, adequate attention to word choice and to the conventions of formal English. It makes sense to consult whatever sample responses are on the actual test website to see what's expected.

5. Teachingsped

Teachingsped Rookie

Aug 4, 2017

I got the same scored and failed :(

6. kmowens757

kmowens757 New Member

Sep 13, 2017

Help!!!I just took the VCLA this morning. I received a 62% on the Reading & an 80% on the Writing...hopefully my writing score increases. The wait is agonizing.

7. MathTeacherVA

MathTeacherVA New Member

Oct 29, 2017

Hi All, Appreciate your feedback. Took VCLA last week. Unofficial exit scores were Reading : 82% and writing subtest 77%. Wrote decent summary and essay. Waiting is so hard ! My deadlines to submit application are fast approaching. Do they take all 10 business days to send official reports? Do I stand a chance to pass?