Valentines Day

Discussion in 'General Education' started by callmebob, Feb 13, 2015.

1. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2015

Anyone else hate days like this in the classroom. Particularly elementary classrooms.

3. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Feb 13, 2015

Yes! Well, any day that throws off my students' routine is annoying. It's my first year teaching 1st grade, and we had noticeably more behavior problems due to the excitement of our Valentine's Day party (and the 3 day weekend coming up).

When I taught 4th grade, the kids could handle the excitement better and it was pretty fun.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Feb 13, 2015

Valentine's Day is one of my favorite days as a teacher most years. I have had 1 or 2 years where the party has gone wrong, and I wasn't the one leaving the day smiling.

What I love about Valentines Day, is it is the one true time that all the students are really, really happy. All students have a huge supply of little cardboard Valentines with some cheap candy. No one is left out, often no one is complaining, and everyone is in such huge smiles from such innocent little items.

I think the world could learn a lesson by watching an elementary school classroom on Valentine's Day. I know I have.

5. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Feb 13, 2015

I felt very happy yesterday watching the pure joy on my students' faces as they got their Valentines. They had a blast. I have a really low tolerance for noise but yesterday I let it all go. We had a good time.

6. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Feb 13, 2015

Actually, I just remembered that one of my favorite moments ever teaching was on Valentine's Day -- my worst behaved student, who was always in the office or suspended for aggressive behavior (occasionally directed at me), had extra heart stickers. He gave me all of them, along with a superhero Valentine's Day card. For a few moments, all was right with the world.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2015

Nope. I love it....handwritten cursive notes from third graders..overloads of chocolates and roses shyly handed by boys rolling their eyes, kids exchanging valentines, I saw two kids hugging today over a Hershey's bar exchange....yes they are wound up as we are headed into a weeklong break...but I love my kiddos, I love what I do..

8. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Feb 13, 2015

I was helping with the third graders today during their Valentine party! I'm a "specials" teacher, so don't always get to be involved in homeroom activities like parties, etc. They were so cute with their Valentines, such a fun age.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 13, 2015

100% agree with this!

Valentines Day is exhausting, as our other days like it, but I love seeing my kids happy. Several kids were so excited to give me their sweet hand written cards and little gifts. Among other things, I got a little stuffed cat (kids know I adore cats), a hand drawn picture of myself with things I like drawn in the background, and three kinds of sour patch kids from a boy who stealthily found out what my favorite candy was. They can be so thoughtful. Also, they of course LOVE passing out cards and candy to each other.

I felt the same way about our party the day before our 2 week Christmas break. It's nice to just take a little time every now and then to just have FUN with the kids.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 13, 2015

I allowed 20 minutes at the end of the day for kids to open valentines. They were crazy excited. It was short and sweet (no party, no treats)!

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 14, 2015

V-Day wasn't too bad. I taught 6th graders, so they wanted none of the lovely shenanigans. Mostly it was a few games, maybe a movie, fun day.

My least favorite teaching days were St. Patrick's Day, and April 1.

12. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2015

April 1st is my favorite. I tell the kids that they can only do pranks if they are good ones. Because the pranks I usually pull shine bright, I don't go for the little things.