Vacation during the school year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrsk2014, Sep 3, 2017.

1. rpan

rpan Comrade

Sep 4, 2017

Don't lie. Don't sell your integrity for a trip to Hawaii, looking over your shoulder, feeling anxious, hoping you won't get caught on the trip or thereafter.
    Go at the end of the school year, with your own money, your head held high, and with no worries.

2. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Rookie

Sep 4, 2017

First, everyone here is right. Don't lie. If you're going somewhere, then tell the truth. However, taking a vacation during the school year is not the kiss of death. It's not ideal, but not everyone has summers off. For instance, my husband has to put in his week of vacation for the year by the end of January. There are a variety of weeks that are blocked--always the weeks of my school holidays. And in the summer, only so many people can be out each week, so if he doesn't get the summer weeks, he has take his vacation at some other time. Now, he's high enough in seniority at this point, that he's usually good, but we've had no choice-twice. Three years ago, we had planned a trip to Hawaii, but my husband went on strike, so we postponed the trip. I had no choice but to take a week in September, that was the only time we could reschedule everything. I just started at my new job at that point--my principal understood and I enjoyed myself immensely. I wouldnt' recommend it, but at least ask. However, if the principal says no, they don't go anyway--then that becomes a subordination issue.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2017

Here, the only way to take a vacation during the school year would be to apply for an unpaid leave, which would have to be approved by administration and by the superintendent. Our collective agreement lists several reasons for which leave must be granted, and vacation isn't one of them, so the request could easily be denied. As part of the request, we must indicate that we recognize that our benefits will be suspended for the duration of the leave. We don't get personal days, so a leave would be the only option.

If it truly is something you can't pass up, be upfront and honest. If you are only able to take your personal days, perhaps consider shortening the time you are away.

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 4, 2017

Agree.

5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Habitué

Sep 4, 2017

Don't go. It's unprofessional. I know it's hard, but teaching has great rewards unavailable to other jobs, but also responsibilities. You have 77 days each summer to go places. Go then.

6. Kat.

Kat. Rookie

Sep 4, 2017

If I were in your situation, I definitely wouldn't lie. I'd talk to my principal and say something along the lines of "I know this isn't ideal, but it's a great opportunity and for free.I understand if I can't go."

I don't think it hurts to ask, as long as if they say no you are gracious about it. Let them know why you're asking and that you understand it's not the perfect scenario and weren't expecting it.

7. mrsk2014

mrsk2014 Rookie

Sep 4, 2017

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Backroads likes this.
  8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2017

Do you have to stay the whole week? If you have three personal days, could you not use those plus the weekend, for five days of vacation? That seems like a reasonable solution. You'd get to go on the trip, spend enough time there to enjoy it, and wouldn't get in trouble at school.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2017

Do you have to stay the whole week? If you have three personal days, could you not use those plus the weekend, for five days of vacation? That seems like a reasonable solution. You'd get to go on the trip, spend enough time there to enjoy it, and wouldn't get in trouble at school.

mrsk2014 likes this.
  10. mrsk2014

mrsk2014 Rookie

Sep 4, 2017

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  11. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 4, 2017

We've had teachers take vacations or be away for other needs. Once their personal days are used, they do time away without pay. It doesn't happen often, but there have been times when, for example, a teacher was hired but already had a prearranged family vacation planned during the school year. That teacher let the school know during the hiring process and it wasn't a big issue. I suggest just talking to your principal.

12. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2017

I personally have nothing against with a teacher taking an occasional short vacation even during the school year.

My school dumps our sick and personal leave into one pool, which is incredibly handy for these sorts of things.

dgpiaffeteach and otterpop like this.
  13. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Sep 4, 2017

I think it's really dependent upon a variety of factors. One of those factors is knowing your principal. My principal at my current school didn't even want me to miss two consecutive days for a PD workshop. No way he'd approve an entire week of vacation without some strong extenuating circumstances. Knowing that, I wouldn't even bother asking for fear that he'd forever and always look down on me for even considering such a request.

I also don't have a problem with a teacher taking a short vacation during the school year - key word being "short". Adding a day or two onto a weekend doesn't seem like a big deal... but missing an entire week for something that isn't related to a family wedding, death, or other special occasion seems like too much. This is true for any teaching job, but I think it's especially true when it's your first year at a school. The only job I'd risk it at is one where I am halfway out the door - planning to leave when the school year ends.

In my opinion, this is just one of the tradeoffs we take in this field. We have many more days off than those in other careers typically do, but don't get the flexibility to choose when we take the majority of them. It just is what it is.

14. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Sep 4, 2017

I love telling my students how excited teachers get on snow days! Especially those that don't have to be made up! And unplanned early dismissals that count as full days! ;)

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 4, 2017

I don't see an issue with at least broaching the subject with your supervisor, as long as you begin the conversation by acknowledging that you will be fully prepared to accept no as an answer. The key to it will be to:

1) Have a plan in place for minimizing impact to your students. Not just "I'll write sub plans." Be specific. What will be happening on those days that it might be reasonable to expect a sub to be able to carry on as always.

2) Avoid using any other leave for the rest of the year. If you aren't sick enough to go to the doctor, you aren't sick enough to miss work. Period.

3) Be willing to accept the fact that, even if your supervisor approves the trip, it will have a very negative impact on your relationship with her. Even asking about it will make you look bad.

4) Be willing to make a trade of some sort. Ask if there's an after school club that needs a sponsor. Volunteer as a tutor. Find some way to make a noticeable positive impact.

Caesar753 likes this.
  16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 5, 2017

I agree with the suggestion of using the weekend plus the 3 days you're allowed to take for a 5 day vacation. 5 days is still plenty of time to enjoy yourself. If I were at a brand new job, I would be afraid of the repercussions of even asking for the extra time off so soon.

When I was little my grandparents paid for my family to go to Disney World every Fall. They weren't willing to go when there were crowds, so we went in October. My parents are both teachers. My mom worked at a private school and one of her benefits was 7 personal days, so she and I stayed the whole week. My dad only got 2 personal days, so he would stay the weekend plus the 2 extra days every year.

17. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Sep 5, 2017

Wouldn't getting a medical note from a doctor in Hawaii out you, anyway? And if you're not tenured, you could lose your job.

If it was a day or two, I'd say go for it, but a week-long trip (even though it's free) wouldn't be worth risking my job. I'd go to your principal and talk with them. See what your options are.

18. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2017

Personally, I'd still say if it's not something you want your principal thinking about if a non renewal came down to you and one other teacher, you shouldn't do it.

Also, if contract negotiations are near, they might take a hard line and deny the days anyway just to send a stern message.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 7, 2017

Some schools have issues with unpaid leave so that might or might not be an option. Can't hurt to ask though.

Backroads likes this.
  20. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Sep 7, 2017

I disagree... I think it could hurt to ask. I wouldn't want to ask my principal for fear he'd be astonished that I would even think of taking a vacation during the school year.