Vacation delay?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by bigv, Nov 3, 2018.

1. bigv

bigv Rookie

Nov 3, 2018

I live in Northern California and this is assuming I attend CSU Sacramento or Fresno. Let’s assume your school starts in August and you get hired in September. can they work with your schedule? Like being exact I literally plan to fly to a vacation 7/23-7/30. Will that work? Also another date is 5/21-5/30. Would that be ok too? Or do I only end when the college semester ends? This is assuming I was doing my student teaching.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 3, 2018

I don’t know your school’s schedule, but as a rule, expect to work around their schedule. They won’t work around yours.

4. bigv

bigv Rookie

Nov 3, 2018

Where do you work?

5. Aces

Aces Comrade

Nov 3, 2018

Why would school starting in August and student teaching that starts in September interfere with a scheduled vacation that starts and ends in July? And why not just ask your college team? They should be able to answer this exactly rather than speculating on the internet...

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 3, 2018

I don’t see how that matters. Most schools have a set calendar. People who attend the school or work at the school are generally expected to follow the calendar. Is that not true where you live?

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Nov 3, 2018

You work with your employer’s schedule. They don’t accommodate yours. There are some individual instances of when people ask the school to accommodate their schedules. For example, we have mandatory meetings until 5 every Wednesday. One of our people has a college class that overlaps with our meeting time. She has permission to skip the weekly meeting this semester, but makes up the time elsewhere.

If you are a college student, you work first with college schedule, then with your employer’s schedule, and finally with your personal schedule.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 3, 2018

So for student teaching, I wouldn't plan to miss any time.

As a teacher, I've had two weddings to attend during the year that I used personal days for. I also had my own wedding. All three times, they didn't care. I had to get special permission for one because of when it was. Our personal days are specifically for things that can't be done on our off time and isn't covered by sick days.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 3, 2018

Clear up some things for us, please, OP:

Does your reference to CSU Fresno or Sacto mean that you're not yet in undergrad? Or that you're not yet in a credential program?

You wrote "Let's assume your school starts in August". By "your school", do you mean one of the two CSUs, or do you mean the elementary school or district?

Are you asking how student teaching works with one's credential program schedule, or how working as a paraeducator works with it, or what?

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Nov 5, 2018

Is this the same poster who was worried about summer school and how it would get in the way of his vacations???

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2018

Yes, I think so.

Just to reiterate what others have said--when you are student teaching and, later, when you are working as a teacher, you will be expected to adhere to the school calendar. Period.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 5, 2018

Yep! It's him!

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Nov 6, 2018

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: