Utah Teacher Fired After Showing Students Art

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AlwaysAttend, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jan 6, 2018

Whether or not one agrees with a person's viewpoint (whether based upon religion or not) concerning nudity, it is the parent who must have the decision of what is right and appropriate for her/his child concerning sexuality. That seems to have been the problem with the teacher--his lack of action concerning his responsibility to the parents.

I have dealt with parents who are extremely selective about what their children consume whether in pictorial or written form, and even to the diet of food, and I have others who seem to have no view that would require adjustment from the school's view point. In the same way we support students with different learning abilities, we need to support students who come from different learning tolerances. It is a matter of considering the parents and the manner in which they choose to raise their children, in my humble opinion.

Backroads likes this.
  2. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 7, 2018

When I have kids I’m planning to shield them from the existence of capital letters when raising them. I’m going to do this until they reach the age where they can understand such a notion as some letters are different than others.

Please make sure to follow my viewpoint and adjust the school’s viewpoint. After all, In the same way we support students with different learning abilities, we need to support students who come from different learning tolerances. It is a matter of considering the parents and the manner in which they choose to raise their children.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  3. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2018

You evil excuse for a human being -- I'm going to be shielding my children from the horrors of the lower case. Until high school, at least.

;)

AlwaysAttend and futuremathsprof like this.
  4. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jan 7, 2018

Easy solution: homeschool

futuremathsprof and AlwaysAttend like this.
  5. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Jan 7, 2018

I suppose I interpreted the comment differently. Why should the school trump the parents?

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 7, 2018

What about the parents who teach their children, for example, that evolution is not real?

AlwaysAttend and futuremathsprof like this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2018

In that case, in HS, the science teacher states emphatically that you are free to believe what you want, but if you want to pass the state Biology Proficiency Exam, you will learn about evolution and why it is believed by most scientists as a highly credible theory, based on current collected scientific evidence. As an added bonus, in this class, the student will acquire the knowledge that will greatly increase the likelihood of raising their SAT score, which will impact college acceptance.

Yes, I have given this speech, sigh.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    futuremathsprof and Backroads like this.
  8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 7, 2018

I believe the science teacher is a blasphemer but I choose to love him/her anyway. I’m good like that.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2018

:hugs:

10. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jan 9, 2018

Let me know when your child enrolls in my class and I'll be sure to load up on e e cummings. :) I honestly believe that parents should be given the final say on what is best for their child, whether I agree with it or not. The science answer by vickilyn was well spoken. They are the facts as it relates to test scores. Parents can respond accordingly to that information. If your capital letter free child comes to my class, I might give a similar answer that vickilyn provided, but I will leave the next step to your discretion. I will also ask you how you'd like me to handle the exit signs with your child as state law requires them to be visible and they are all capital letters. You are the parent, and I would be alerting you that I could not provide a completely capital letter free environment. I would also let you know that on tests and in assessments and in all writing, your child will have a lower grade without the ability to capitalize. You would decide what you needed to do with your child from there. We can all be tongue in cheek with dissimilar examples, but parents are responsible for the upbringing of their children. Most people would say that capital letters do not have so many other social factors connected to them in the same way nude pictures for 5th and 6th graders might have.

The OP related to the response of the teacher. I reiterate that given the age of the students, the teacher merely needed to contact the parents and alert them that they may have an opportunity to discuss the event with their children (or not) as they see fit. This is my opinion. I was glad to read your opinion and appreciate your sense of humor.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  11. MarySK

MarySK Rookie

Jan 11, 2018

I believe that this is a bust, although in every state its laws

12. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2018

Lol you said "bust"

:p