using the bathroom (kids)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Sep 1, 2014.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 1, 2014

How do you keep kids from using the bathroom excessively? We are not allowed to tell them they can't go and a few of my kids are going multiple times each day. They sign out so I can see who is going often. We have had several talks already about using time before school and at recess.

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2014

I say "wait 3 minutes and ask me again."

If they really need to go, they will remember to ask. If not, they will forget 74% of the time.

You teach upper elementary. Make the time a bit longer. It will also help prevent the "meet me in the restroom at 9:40" ruse where two girls from different classes agree to ask their teacher to use the restroom at an appointed time.

4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 1, 2014

I would put it all on the parents. If you are documenting when and how often students are going, I would inform the parents. If they are ok with it, I am ok with it.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 1, 2014

Sometimes I say "finish XYZ and then you can go". If they really need to go they'll remember once their work is done.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 1, 2014

I teach HS but I also ask if they can wait a couple minutes. Most of the time they don't ask again.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2014

I used bathroom chips in the past Basically.... Everyone gets 2 chips at the beginning of the day (poker chips or something similar). Each chip has their number on it. They can ask me permission to use the bathroom as long as I am not teaching, no one is presenting, we are not taking a test, etc... I gave the OK, they deposit a 'chip' into a container, put the bathroom pass on their desk (so only 1 boy and 1 girl go at a time), and go to the bathroom. They have to use their chips wisely. Some rarely used any chips (would go at lunch or whatever), others used both every day. Occasionally, I'd have someone that had to go a third time. I'd make note of it. If it happened again, we had a serious discussion. It rarely happened a third time.

8. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 1, 2014

I tell them that they can go once in the morning before lunch/recess and once in the afternoon after lunch/recess. During lunch/recess they can go as often as they want. I make exceptions for emergencies, but if there is an emergency every day, I notify the parents and I let them decide.

9. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 1, 2014

I do this too! :)

Also, I live in South Florida where it is VERY hot right now. My fourth graders play hard outside and I allow them water bottles on their desks during these brutally hot months. I do notice an increase in restroom visits, but we're an outdoor campus and walk to specials/lunch/etc all outside.

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 1, 2014

To me it is more important when they go, then how often. I try to make it clear they are to go during their breaks (such as recess/lunch recess) and when they are doing work independently or in groups. They are not to go when I am teaching. If they ask when I am teaching, I ask if they can wait a few minutes until we break into group or individual work. If they say "no", well one or two emergencies are fine, but after that I discuss it with the student one on one.

I am now at an age where I have to go to the bathroom more often. I am getting more bothered that it is hard to go when I need to as a teacher. Therefore, I am getting more sympathetic to the students on this issue.

11. queenie

queenie Groupie

Sep 2, 2014

Same here!

12. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 3, 2014

Thanks for all the ideas.

I will try the "wait 5 min and ask me again" this week.

13. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Sep 5, 2014

When it becomes excessive I will phone the parent and speak to them. I also found it useful to explain to the students the connection between using their restroom break to drink a lot of water and how when they return to class they're going to have an emergency and I may make them wait because I will be thinking that they just went.

14. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Sep 5, 2014

When I taught 4th grade, I would have them finish whatever they were working on before going, and sign out on a sheet so I could keep track of who went. I tried to do that yesterday in 1st grade... and one of my students had an accident in front of me. It was right after PE when they drink lots of water. Time to set up a new bathroom break into our schedule! :p

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 5, 2014

I don't think the classroom bathroom policy has anything to do with the parents unless the students have a medical problem causing them to have to go excessively. If a student complains that you are not letting her go whenever she wants to then tell her (or him I guess) that you will call their parents and see if there's a reason they need to go so often. That might deter them a bit from asking so many times during the day. I always had a sign out sheet but the chips are a good idea also.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2014

I keep my bathroom pass clipped to a clipboard with a sign-out/sign-in sheet. It helps me track who is using the bathroom and how often. I generally allow pretty free bathroom access except during the first and last 10 minutes of class (school policy), during the opposite lunch (school policy), when I am delivering instruction, and during assessments. If it seems that a student is abusing the privilege of using the bathroom during class, I will have a talk with the student. If that doesn't work, I will call the parents. I usually never have a problem after that.

Some kids legitimately need to go fairly often. I understand that. Most of the time I think that they should be able to manage their bathroom use within my very liberal guidelines.

17. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 5, 2014

I choose to put it on the parents wether their is a medical issue or not, just because I won't pretend to know when a student legitimately has to go or not. I simply won't partake in trying to decide if it is legit or not. I won't deny a student the right to use the restroom.

I tell the parents to fix it or we accept it.

18. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Sep 5, 2014

I just let them go tbh. Going to the bathroom is a basic human right. I just let them go for it.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 5, 2014

I'm assuming that if students insist on going multiple times per period then they are responsible for any missed work. They shouldn't be allowed to disrupt the class when they come back and interrupt the teacher by asking what they missed.

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2014

I did the morning before school, then we had a break about 2 hrs into school I'd let them go, after lunch they would go, but during like my book reading I'd send a few down. When we walked back from any special...pass bathroom & they all seemed to go...so those that did would line up outside bathroom & only 2 in at a time... if one came out other went in...they moved along at that pace.
    I taught first, but would do this when I subbed too.