Using Google Classroom for Subs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, May 15, 2017.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 15, 2017

If you have a class set of Chromebooks or some other device and students are trained to check them out and put them back, and you have Google Classroom at your school, I highly recommend using Classroom for sub plans.

It's gotten to the point, where all I have to write in my sub plan is: 1. Tell kids to get out their Chromebooks, 2. Tell them to find their assignment on Google Classroom, 3. Check Chromebooks back in 5 minutes before the end of the period and check that they are all back before releasing them.

I just give kids a list of tasks to do for that day, including our starters, online quizzes, vocabulary sets, and I can even give them video lectures from youtube, or simulation labs and they just complete their assignments on Google Docs. I create all of my handouts in Google Docs already, so it's usually just a matter of uploading it and giving every student a digital copy of it.

You can set the deadline for the very end of the class period and tell kids that you will not accept late work or you will only accept it for reduced credit, and Classroom will tell you who turned it in late or not.

I technically could even write my sub plan from home the morning of, directly on Google Classroom, and not have to fiddle with sending it to the secretary to get it printed or what not and having her make copies of handouts. Kids just know now that when they have a sub, they have to open Google Classroom.

Prior to this, my sub plans were almost always just "show this movie" because it was easy to prep, and I didn't have to worry about anything like explaining particular parts of activities to the sub or worrying if the sub knows the content or how to work the technology, but my sub plans now are just like what I expect them to do any other day, and the kids basically run it themselves. (Though that has resulted in kids telling me that the subs end up with nothing to do so they just sit in my chair and use their phones all day...)

Google Classroom + Sub Days are awesome.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 15, 2017

I often do something similar but always am sure to have a Plan B that does not involve technology in case the network is down.

mathmagic likes this.
  4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 15, 2017

I normally would too at my old school, but our network is very reliable at this school. Though it's good to always be prepared.

5. ms.irene

ms.irene Devotee

May 15, 2017

I do the same thing! I do always leave a backup in case the wireless is down -- it's rare, but it can happen. Our power once went out for most of the morning when someone took out a local electrical transformer. You just never know...!

6. miss-m

miss-m Cohort

May 15, 2017

I subbed at a couple middle schools with teachers who did this and it was AWESOME. It seems like such a win-win, too. The kids don't miss out on too much learning (they may miss some direct instruction but get actual content related review), the sub doesn't have to worry about finding materials or plans, and the teacher doesn't have to worry about an ill-prepared sub butchering their lessons.

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Companion

May 16, 2017

I am a sub and I also love plans like this! The only issue is that students inevitably try to take advantage and go on other websites.

8. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

May 16, 2017

I came across this post and had to laugh because I was just thinking about how much I love Google Classroom when there is a sub. I am going to be at a workshop the next 3 days and it is nice to know I have this. My students can actually continue working on the curriculum and I don't have to do extra coping or planning. Plus I didn't have to worry about getting all the days planned yesterday since I can just post assignments (and see what the students have finished our not finished) from home.

9. carolinafan

carolinafan Rookie

May 16, 2017

I'm hesitant to leave my tech available when there's a sub because I know I'm ultimately responsible for that tech. Note necessarily monetarily, but those chromebooks are my responsibility. I don't trust some of my students to behave themselves when I'm not there to monitor them, nor (and no offense to any subs out there) do I know who might be in my room covering my classes. It's just less worry on my part not to have any tech available when I'm not there. Maybe if I taught at a different school with different kids, it could be an option.

Peregrin5 and Caesar753 like this.