Useful Web sites for single subject math/science

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by TeacherGroupie, Jun 27, 2006.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 27, 2006

People have commented that useful Web sites for tests get posted, but then the threads get buried under the press of day-to-day posts.

Now here's a thread that should be unburiable.

Go ahead and give useful Web sites in your regular posts, but if you've found a site that's helpful for CSET or Praxis II or the MTEL, PLACE, GACE, FTCE, AEPA, ICTS, MTTC, NMTA, NYSTCE, CEOE, ORELA, or TExES exams in single subject math or science, please take a moment to tuck it in a post in this thread, too.

3. innovationguy

innovationguy Comrade

Jun 27, 2006

SMASHING IDEA!

Um, just a thought - and by no means is it a BIG DEAL! - but wouldn't the info be more accessible if there were separate threads for Math and Science. After all, there're already a gazillion of these tests being "clubbed" already: CSET, Praxis II, MTEL, PLACE, GACE, FTCE, AEPA, ICTS, MTTC, NMTA, NYSTCE, CEOE, ORELA, or TExES...[I take it that most of these are specific subject matter competency tests for other states, yes? Unless, of course, they denote classified programs run by the NSA...(?!)] I do acknowledge, however, that websites / resources for one test might be eminently applicable to several of the others (if not all!)...

Furthermore, each subject - Math and Science - has multiple Subtests so that certain sites might be useful for only certain Subtests: the larger point being that some disaggreagation might be in order, what?

Jay.
    http://csetmathguru.weebly.com/index.html

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 27, 2006

Oh, grump, Jay. I've already disaggregated just by splitting math and science out from everything else!

Seriously... if there's enough traffic on this thread to warrant it, I'm sure we can arrange a split later on.

Fair enough?

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2006

A work in progress...

Wikipedia--good for finding math proofs and looking up science subjects.

Math

The ONLY Site For CSET Single Subject Math!--Name says it all

Ask Dr. Math--May find the answer to your question here

HMC Mathematics Online Tutorial--Precalculus and calculus

SOS Math--Algebra through differential equations

WTAMU College Algebra--College algebra

The Math Page--Arithmetic through calculus

The MacTutor History of Mathematics--Math history

History of Mathematics--Math history

Science

Usborne Quicklinks--Companion site to the Usborne internet-linked science books

Eric Weisstein's World of Science--Science encylopedia

Cells Alive!--Interactive biology

The Physics Classroom--High school physics tutorial

ABC's of Nuclear Science--From our friends at Berkeley Lab

This Dynamic Earth: The Story of Plate Tectonics--From our friends at USGS

Gene Smith's Astronomy Tutorial--Introductory college astronomy

California Geological Survey--California geology

6. innovationguy

innovationguy Comrade

Jun 27, 2006

A quick "review" of the websites mentioned before: I found the SOS Math, WTAMU College Algebra and The Math Page to be of sterling quality!

The HMC Mathematics Online Tutorial, however, appears very much oriented towards Calculus; the Precalculus stuff was rather miniscule!

Here's my tuppence to this eminently worthwhile endeavour!

A couple of excellent Math sites that practically "walk one through" Precalculus-level Algebra:

Purple Math which in turn refers to numerous other online Math lessons at:

Lessons and Tutoring

Here's another capital site:

Paul's Online Math Notes

The only "drawback" - if you will - is that these sites don't offer problems / exercises [as in a textbook]. They are, however, matchless in their capacity to illustrate and explicate even intimidating concepts - one can't have enough examples!

In general, use them to supplement a regular textbook - if the explanation is abstruse / more illumination is required, rely on these sites!

Jay.
    http://csetmathguru.weebly.com/index.html

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2006

IMHO the great thing about Paul's is the cheat sheets. Everything is boiled down to a few pages. They are great for purusing just before you go into the exam room. They are just enough to spark a connection between a question you are struggling with and the concept or method.

8. HilaryP

HilaryP Rookie

Jun 29, 2006

Hre's one I just found today:

An AP highschool class website:
    http://gbs.glenbrook.k12.il.us/Academics/gbssci/bio/apbio/Review/review.htm

This is all the stuff gleaned from a CSET Science thread:

Self check tests:
    http://www.glencoe.com/sites/califor...nce/index.html
    http://college.hmco.com/physicalscie...ace/index.html

Animations:
    http://www.sumanasinc.com/webcontent/animation.html

plus this gleaned from someone else's post:

9. HilaryP

HilaryP Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

I've been using this a lot lately, has a lot of quizzes (pen and paper), links, summaries, vocabulary. Some of the quizzes are a bit lame, for example, focusing on historical aspects of DNA structure discovery instead of on the structure itself. Annoying, but MOST of the quizzes by far are helpful. The AP course is based on Campbell's Biology, which is the text recommended in the textbook recommendations in the CSET test description, so that's helpful.

NOTE: the links at the top of this site don't work, but the ones below do.

10. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Sep 21, 2006

Thanks so much for posting the great biology/science links! They are going to be very helpful as I start preparing for the October FTCE SAE in biology...thanks so much! :thanks:

11. Teacher2007

Teacher2007 Rookie

Dec 3, 2006

***CSET MATH***
    I recently took the CSET math subtest 1 and 2. I used Ace the CSET to study and did not feel very prepared. Since it was the best resource I could find, I purchased the program for $40; however, it was hard to use because you can't print anything and have to be online to access the information. Also, the level of difficulty on the actual test was much harder than the study guide prep'd me for.

I asked some other Math majors for advise on another study site and was told to check out the site: *******************.

I have not purchased the $80 study guide yet and was hoping to get some feedback from others as to whether or not it was worth the money??

12. Teacher2007

Teacher2007 Rookie

Dec 3, 2006

website

Since my website question got ***'d out, I'm trying to find info on CA Teaching solutions.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 3, 2006

If you're in or reasonably near San Diego County, you might want to check out National University's class for CSET Math. If not, take a look at earlier posts here on the Single Subject Tests subforum by innovationguy and Malcolm, both of whom have excellent advice for CSET Math.

Best of luck!

14. Teacher2007

Teacher2007 Rookie

Jan 19, 2007

http://www.analyzemath.com/

Seems to be a good supplement to my study materials. The site is easy to navigate and organized with a few sample problems for each problem type.

Scroll down to "Table of Contents" and just click on the specific subject you have a question about. I'm primarily using the site for Geometry formulas that my other materials lacked.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 19, 2007

I'm going to take the liberty of posting what you said elsewhere about this site:

Thanks for sharing this, Teacher2007! If karma counts for anything on Saturday - and I firmly believe that it does - you should be in fine shape.

16. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 5, 2007

I don't know if this is helpful because it isn't a website but this is how I studied for my TExES Life Science 8-12 and I passed with 87%. I also think this would be helpful for anyone taking any TExES exam.

Step 1) Print out subject area Domains and Compentencies

Step 2) Find a user friendly high school text book on your subject. I was able to find several at my college. You cannot check them out, but I was able to sit in the library and study.

Step 3) Go through the compentencies one by one and review/write out any and all examples and vocab words given. Find these examples/vocab words in the high school text book and read the pages/paragraphs right before and right after the word to learn more useful and related material.

Another thing I did was I took the practice test the TExES provided and compared what I got wrong to the compentencies they represented and when I started studying I knew what areas I needed to improve upon.
    I also purchased two laminated subject area pamplets made by Quick Study.
    The information on the test, I felt, was very "tip of the iceberg" and the hardest part was its application. If you knew the general ideas and concepts you could usually figure out the correct answer.

Hope this helps someone!

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 5, 2007

Good advice for pretty much any teacher test. As to laminated study guides, Barnes & Noble's SparkCharts are good.

18. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

CSET Math: Quick Review by Test Topic

This site provides a very brief review broken down by the knowledge requirements for the test. For instance, Subtest 1 has review information under headings such as 0001 Algebraic Structures, 0002 Polynomial Equations and Inequalities, and so on. Unfortunately, the site does not work in the Mozilla Firefox browser, so you’ll have to use Internet Explorer.

http://www.geocities.com/ashah0712/index.htm

19. ex|

ex| Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

cset subtest 1 question

just wondering. will i see any questions on the inverse of a matrix?? either solving and/or confirming an inverse?

thanks.

peter

20. innovationguy

innovationguy Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

WILL one encounter Qs on Matrix Inverse?

Very very likely, in fact!

For the most part, one would be OK with Inverse of 2X2 matrices [which is quite simple!]; however, finding the Inverse of 3 X 3s is an integral part of the syllabus, too [oh, this can be cumbersome, yes?!].

My recommendation: FOCUS on solving equations via Inverse Matrices of 2X2s; time permitting, have a stab at a couple of 3X3s...

It's a bloody good idea to also familiarize oneself with solving a System using Augmented Matrices [which is much faster than finding the Inverse first!]

Jay.
    http://innovationguy.easyjournal.com

21. ex|

ex| Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

question

i have a question that i remember exactly from the last math subtest 1 i took. missed passing by 1 point! :(

could someone maybe help me find the solution? im lost.

thanks.

peter