Useful Web sites for single subject English/history

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by TeacherGroupie, Jun 27, 2006.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 5, 2012

When are you planning to test, beamish13?

2. beamish13

beamish13 Rookie

Nov 5, 2012

Hello! I will be taking the test in early January.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 6, 2012

By when does TFA require you to have passed all four subtests? (Provided one's program deadlines permit, one can take fewer than four subtests in a session and still get all five hours of testing time.)

And what's your background in (a) literature, (b) composition, (c) linguistics, (d) English grammar, (e) oral communication/speech, (f) journalism/media, (g) theatre, and (h) analyzing creative writing?

4. beamish13

beamish13 Rookie

Nov 6, 2012

I need to pass all of them by May, I believe. My background is in psychology and social work (I possess an MSW). I'm an avid reader and I've studied for the GRE. Further, I possess a working understanding of literary theory, and I have instructed students in grammar (utilizing CA's standards as my guideline) when I worked as a tutor.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 6, 2012

Sounds very promising. CSETs are explicitly aligned to the state content standards, so it's good that you're already familiar with them.

6. Tehescmarts

Tehescmarts Rookie

Apr 4, 2013

Glogs for FTCE Social Science and English

Just passed both of those FTCE 6-12 exams. Made these glogs while studying. Have very helpful links for me anyway--maybe for you too.
    I can't post because I am new but have made a glog on Social Science and a glog on english literature. (click on the fly, bat, and bird in the title too). My glog name is the same as my A to Z name.

This makes 11 state certifications. Always get the practice/sample test. Study each question and distracter. Study the items mentioned in the study guide. Look for Quizlet flashcards. Use common sense. Annenberg Learner and Education Portal have great lessons--of course YouTube. Good luck!

7. BStone

BStone Rookie

Jun 2, 2013

Is anyone selling their CSET Study Guides from the Orange County Dept. of Education? I haven't registered for the exam yet because I'm taking the CBEST first on July 13th. But after I get that out of the way I'd like to begin studying for the CSET asap because I am extremely worried about it.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 4, 2014

One way to look at the combination of CBEST and CSET English is that what you're expected to be able to do in CBEST's reading comprehension and essay sections overlaps with some of what you're expected to be able to do, analyze, and comment on for various CSET English subtests.

I'll add that I believe CSET English is migrating to computer-based format as of August, and there's credible reason to expect some changes in the test at that point to reflect the shift to Common Core standards.

In any case, breathe, please.

(Edited to add that I just realized the post to which I'm responding is a year old. Blush. But the advice is good, so it stands.)

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2014

I know that there is a wealth of knowledge about resources for the teacher exams, and I find myself cleared to take the Praxis II 5089, to acquire the MS Subject Matter Specialization in Social Studies, grades 5-8. The school I work at has opened a middle school division within the entire school which deals with students with behavioral and emotional disabilities. I like the subject matter, and the state has approved my courses as sufficient, so I would like to test to earn this certification, since it may be useful not only to my career, but also to the staffing within the school, since we are a relatively small private school. I would appreciate resources that would help me add depth to my knowledge, as well as flesh out the broad picture. I am fairly decent with the geography sections and world history, but I would like to be solid on US History and Government. Help would be appreciated. I don't have a set date in mind - within the next several months - but it has to fit into the schedule as I take more courses to acquire the Teacher of Students with Disabilities certification. I know that the experts are here, and hope that you will share material that I can use not only to study with, but keep in the classroom as a strong reference, too. Help appreciated wiping away some cobwebs and making it all relevant in this day and age. I will thank you in advance for any and all help.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 4, 2014

Get hold of a really good historical atlas, and have it open as you study.

11. sarahwilla

sarahwilla Rookie

12. irishrose

irishrose Rookie

Oct 17, 2014

I need to find a basic list of authors and works covered on Praxis II English 5038. I have been looking for several hours tonight alone with no results except various ads for whole study guides. A free study guide on this test would also be welcome...Thanks!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 17, 2014

Welcome to A to Z, irishrose.

You're not finding a list of authors and works covered on 5038 because no such list exists: in principle, any literary work covered in college-level coursework in British, American, or world literature is eligible for inclusion in 5038. The distribution of questions in the Test Companion for 5038 includes just one question that requires one to identify a particular literary work; you can expect a greater number of questions in which the task is to analyze a passage, and for that purpose prior in-depth knowledge of a literary work is less necessary.

In practice, you're likely to find that being familiar with works commonly taught in high school will serve you well. There's a long list at http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1757.Best_Books_to_Teach_in_high_school. (Note well that a number of the books on this list are not themselves literary works.) If you don't have time to read them before your test date, at least Google them so you have some idea of their origin, setting, major plot points and characters, and relevant literary period or movement.

14. irishrose

irishrose Rookie

Oct 17, 2014

Great, that should be helpful, thank you!

15. Switch

Switch Rookie

16. reshyam

reshyam New Member

Feb 15, 2017

I would tell you to look ateducation feald fallow (for some reason, I cannot post a link since I am new) for a quick review of World History. It helped me greatly, and with it, I passed the World History subtest.