Useful Web sites for single subject English/history

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by TeacherGroupie, Jun 27, 2006.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 27, 2006

People have commented that useful Web sites for tests get posted, but then the threads get buried under the press of day-to-day posts.
    Now here's a thread that should be unburiable.

Go ahead and give useful Web sites in your regular posts, but if you've found a site that's helpful for single subject history or English exams in the CSET, Praxis II, MTEL, PLACE, GACE, FTCE, AEPA, ICTS, MTTC, NMTA, NYSTCE, CEOE, ORELA, WEST-E, TExES, or any other series, please take a moment to tuck it in a post in this thread, too.

If your post is about English or history as it is taught in departmentalized classrooms (typically middle school/junior high through high school), it's in the right place here.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  3. foozer

foozer Rookie

Jun 27, 2006

4. zach h

zach h New Member

Jul 16, 2006

any sites with practice tests for the history CSET test?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 16, 2006

None that I know of, zach h. You might find useful questions in Advanced Placement prep guides that correspond to the domains (economics, government, US history, world history).

Where in California are you located?

6. Lucky11

Lucky11 New Member

Aug 14, 2006

Econ help

For the SS CSET III exam, I borrowed Economics for Dummies from the library and found it to be the most help as it did not contain any math problems and formulas (which AREN'T on the test), but was an excellent, fast read that gave me what I needed it pass that portion of the test. I also made flash cards to study from. The AP book was too complicated for anyone unfamiliar with Economics.

7. saucykitty

saucykitty Rookie

Sep 6, 2006

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 1, 2006

llama has asked me to post this:

I'd guess this link could be tweaked for history as well.

9. Cricket22

Cricket22 Rookie

Nov 1, 2006

hmm...I'm not sure how to post...

well, I'm taking the CSET on sat. and I'm begining to think I'm in over my head. I signed up for all four, with the intention of really focusing on subsets I and III, since I just got my English Lit. degree. I'm now most worried about the essay, I barely passed the CBEST writing...I think (41) I did ok on the reading (80). Am I out of luck for preparing? I'd be grateful for any suggestions...I have to pass the test by the Jan. date...The website is just so vague, I'm not sure what to focus on....in short, HELP!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 2, 2006

Cricket22, that 80 in reading comprehension is just a little bit better than "OK": you aced that section. Chances are you're a proficient writer who simply misread the task on CBEST, which is to show ability to crank out a couple of very pedestrian, very structured five-paragraph essays in which what you say is less important than how you say it.

CSET English will play out differently for you, I think: the constructed responses in Subtest III are indeed long and should be organized more like formal essays than should the constructed responses for any other CSET exam... but it remains the case that what you argue for, and the evidence from the texts that you can marshal to back up what you're arguing for, is much more important than how you say it.

So please spend a little less energy on what hasn't worked well for you so far and a little more energy working from your strengths - including that brand-new BA in English lit, which should be just the thing for Subtests I and III.

As for Subtest II, if you've had a linguistics course and gotten anything out of it, you should be in fine shape, but if you haven't, see if your local library or bookstore carries Aitchison's Teach Yourself Linguistics (there are better choices, but not better choices for someone facing the exam in two and a half days).

11. loribassett76

loribassett76 New Member

Dec 19, 2006

I'm looking for all English subset study quides, can anyone help?

12. msmanda

msmanda New Member

Jan 10, 2007

I would tell you to look at www dot studentsfriend dot com (for some reason, I cannot post a link since I am new) for a quick review of World History. It helped me greatly, and with it, I passed the World History subtest.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 10, 2007

msmanda, what's your connection with the Web site you mention?

14. msmanda

msmanda New Member

Jan 11, 2007

No connection at all. I'm a high school history teacher in the Central Valley. A colleague of mine introduced it to me when he knew that I was going to be taking the test. Since I had struggled with passing it before, and since I passed it this time, I thought I'd share. In case you're wondering, as it sounds by your question, I'm not pumping press for somebody's product, or one of my own. I just know how frustrated I was with coming so close to passing, but not doing it. Now that I've passed two of the three sections, I wanted to share with others what helped me.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 11, 2007

Sounds cool, and like a good resource to share.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 13, 2007

17. Penguin

Penguin Rookie

Jan 20, 2007

Bummer, I tried to post a whole bunch of good links but it says I can't post them until I've been a member for a while.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2007

Here's quite a lengthy and detailed contribution from new member Penguin:

19. sunflowereye

sunflowereye New Member

Jan 29, 2007

Looking for useful U.S. History links

Hello,

I found this forum while looking for study guides for the GACE subject tests for World & U.S. History as I am taking both tests in mid-March. The link to the World History guide by Student's Friend is excellent. Many thanks. Any links to U.S. History guides?

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 29, 2007

This isn't exactly on line, but try getting hold of the SparkCharts on US history from Barnes & Noble - they don't explain much, but they list lots and lots of Big Events, and then you can look up those events on the Web and try to get a sense of why one would care about them.

21. sunflowereye

sunflowereye New Member

Jan 29, 2007

Thanks for the advice.