Use or not to use paper on bulletin boards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by applecore, Aug 4, 2013.

1. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 4, 2013

My "Welcome to 3rd Grade" bulletin board is sans paper as the background. Instead, I opted for the natural background look and made it work with my "natural" theme this school year; and I use white material for the bulletin boards in my classroom.

So far I've majority of my teacher friends say "yea" and a few on the "nay" side. I just tell the naysayers that they have more paper to use with their bulletin boards. :D

And I like the natural so much that I'm thinking of just changing the border each time I have something to share!

Have you decided or completed your bulletin boards?

3. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 4, 2013

We can't return to work early to set up our rooms :(

As for your board, choose what you think is best for YOUR classroom. *shrugs*

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  4. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

I do quite a lot of bulletin board stuff as a para because I do them for multiple teachers. Paper is SO annoying! It rips, fades, is annoying to put up, etc. I would either use fabric or nothing at all if you have a cork board that looks okay. I think cork could look great, we just rarely have it in these parts. We usually just have those ugly soft beige walls that you can staple in. Those look better covered in fabric when possible. The only time I'd advocate paper is if you have a surface that you can't stick pins or staples in, like cinder block.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2013

Not sure why other colleagues are weighing in on your Bb...the most I ever give/ hear is ' love your BB' :)

Our BBs are lined with a nice background covering...saves paper, more fire-safe...so hardly none line their backgrounds with additional paper.

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 4, 2013

I use plastic tablecloths from the dollar store. I like it much better than paper.

I agree though, do what you feel most comfortable with!

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2013

I can't believe someone would critique your board! I personally use fabric unless I'm doing a theme-y board which might require other materials. I actually like the look of cork, so I think it probably looks great especially with a natural theme.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2013

I have fabric on the 3 small bulletin boards in my room, but the one in my hallway is HUGE. Fabric is too expensive here to buy that much, so I use paper. I hate how hard it is to get the paper up. This is probably bad, but I just left up the paper from last year that had a few rips. I just put things on top of the rips so you couldn't see them...

9. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

I would do the same thing. It is really hard to get up there, especially by yourself! It's easy to rip too, so you'd be replacing it all the time.

10. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 4, 2013

I'm lucky, my Bb has a blue background. I have left it natural. I like fabric the best and have several basic colors. I recently found a high gloss heavy paper that came in a lime green which went with my room colors. It was up from jan.- jun with no fading. I am starting this year with similar paper but it has an underwater scene on it!

11. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

Do you know the brand of the paper? I'm very interested in this. :)

12. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Aug 4, 2013

I was thinking of using fabric, but I bought plastic table cloths since finances are tight. However, I then realized that my new bulletin boards are black, so I just kept the background as is. Do whatever you're most comfortable with. I just can't imagine criticizing another teacher's BB!

13. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2013

My walls are alternating blue and natural color bulletin boards for the whole room. I don't usually put paper up - just borders because the background still looks good and is better for fire code. I put up paper if I want to draw attention to something.

I am also crazy about not leaving staples in the walls. The bulletin board material isn't cork and doesn't show the holes, which is great. I have been in the room 12 years and the walls are good as new because I have taken care of them. I think it is tacky when teachers leave the staples in the walls, but that is just me.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2013

This is what I do as well. They go up quickly and easily, don't fade and come in a multitude of colours (although, I always use black).

However...do what makes you happy and don't worry about what anyone else thinks about your boards!

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2013

I agree with everyone - do what you want! It's your bulletin board!

I use fade-proof paper from the teacher store. I've had one up for four years. I'm only changing it out this year because there was an incident with a marker at the end of last year.

16. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 5, 2013

Thankfully the other teachers I work with aren't harsh, but just give their two-cents; apparently we're VERY open with each other. LOL

Trust me, I love to do bulletin boards, but I really suck at the artistic part, so I welcome the critique and help. So, it's really me. It takes me FOREVER to think and decide on bulletin board stuff, so I avoid the whole "cuteness" factor and go plain or simple---and I've grown to HATE putting up paper.

I'm so glad to hear there's teachers out there who choose to use what they like as well.

I've seen the fade-proof paper from the teacher stores as well, but after using material on my BB's, I've grown to love it!

Thanks for sharing all your ideas and thoughts.

17. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2013

Our bulletin boards, especially the ones in our room are very old so the backs are dirty and yucky looking so I cover with paper. I could see it looking nice without the paper on a newer/nicer board though.

18. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 11, 2013

I personally use paper, but have used fabric in the past. The cork is fine, but my walls are a similar beige color. I use the paper of fabric just to add a little color to a very dull room.

19. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2013

I have done paper and material. Right now I have paper on two and the third I'm using as a word wall so I laminated construction paper and put that up.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 11, 2013

I've always used paper. Some teachers use fabric, though, which looks nice.

I don't think it's anyone's place to weigh in on how your bulletin boards look unless you specifically ask them for an opinion.

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 12, 2013

I use black fabric on my BB's. I have seen some people go with the "natural" look like you have done. I think it looks good on some boards, and a little drab on others. To each their own-I'm sure yours look great! ;)