Urban Subbing

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Peregrin5, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 27, 2017

So by this time, I either think that the urban district I applied to has either passed over my application or they just don't need anymore subs. They start school on Tuesday and I haven't had any call backs.

I know urban substitute positions are fairly competitive, I just didn't know they were so competitive that even teachers with several years of teaching experience in the classroom couldn't get a position. I'm certain that my references and letters of rec are spot on. Other possibilities are that they simply have a large already established pool of subs (many who may be experienced retired teachers), there is simply a huge pool of talent to draw from, being a city, and/or they simply won't hire new subs until they REALLY need them (like after the first time they hit a day where everyone is calling out or has conferences to attend).

Anybody with experience in this? Has anyone been called to interview as a sub mid-year?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2017

My school board hires subs twice a year--near the end of June and in January. They are strict about the number of subs they have on the books; we wish they would loosen things up a bit and hire more because we do end up with several weeks during the school year when there aren't enough subs to go around.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2017

Newark New Jersey is the biggest city in NJ and their sub pool was closed. I contacted HR directly and explained my interest and they allowed me to join up. I went through training and I only worked one day. Not because there were too many subs, but because the elementary school I subbed in was the worst building I was ever in. Classroom books torn up in desks, no sub plans despite teacher being out months, basically every day sub flipped open to a random page in the book. It was insane and I wanted no part of it again.

The sub program was more like a jobs program for the city.

5. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 29, 2017

Urban districts are notoriously bureaucratic - blame unions! I'm sure they need people; city schools usually do because many of the children scare away the subs and even give their regular teachers a hard time.

6. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Aug 30, 2017

I would sooner say that most urban districts are notoriously impoverished and lack adequate funding to hire more subs, or even staffing to update sub lists.

anon55 and dgpiaffeteach like this.
  7. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Aug 30, 2017

The urban district I work for also only hires during specific windows. This time of year, HR is all about staffing schools with classroom teachers. I think sub hiring happens late fall and mid-spring. I know it doesn't happen now.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 30, 2017

Well frick. I just looked over my application that I submitted 2 months ago, and realized for some reason it didn't save ANY of my education and credentialing information (though I was sure I put that in). That'll teach me to review my application closer before clicking the submit button and never to trust that the badly coded application software saved it. If they did look at it before it probably went right in the trash if it looked like I didn't have any college or credentials.

Luckily it still says they're hiring so I redid my entire application from scratch (because you can't edit it after you submit it) and submitted it. I hope you're right mathteachertobe and they're just waiting until later to hire subs.

ms.irene likes this.
  9. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Aug 30, 2017

Wow, I never heard of a place never needing subs! My area is to the point where they are now letting anyone who has a college degree sub. I disagree with that, but schools are pretty much at the point where they just want a warm body. I subbed for years and really think it is invaluable experience. If anything it shows you how you don't want to teach!

I hope you get your application sorted out and can get started soon.

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2017

Depends on the state. In NJ they're among the best funded districts in that state, most of which comes from the state, and they still complain the state isn't giving them enough money based on the state formula.

11. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Sep 2, 2017

I don't understand these anti-teacher opinions...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  12. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Sep 2, 2017

This is an old and boring argument that title 1 schools are really the best funded, so it's their fault they don't do as well as upper income suburban schools. The #1 predictor of student success is whether they're in poverty. Parents of upper income schools have time to volunteer and these schools have foundations which raise thousands and sometimes millions each year for electives, field trips, etc. Kids in upper income areas have so many structural advantages (including race), it's not even funny. The difference between schools in our deeply segregated school system is night and day.

13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2017

Do you live or work in NJ? We have a state supreme court decision and later legislative policy that dictate what is fair and efficient funding for schools. Whether you believe me or not, they are significantly better funded than most school districts in the state.

14. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Sep 3, 2017

Me: there's many other factors besides official state funding which have a bigger influence on student outcomes.
    You: but title 1 schools get the most official state funding!

15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2017

That's not the conversation I was having. Did you read what I wrote?

16. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 16, 2017

Yay! Got an interview. The hypothesis that they didn't want me for x reason is nullified. The hypothesis that they were simply not yet organized enough to be hiring new substitutes before the school year started has support.

ms.irene and AlwaysAttend like this.