Update

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hokiegrad1993, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Nov 8, 2018

You may not remember an earlier post where I said I was moved because of a bad mentor teacher student teaching. I got placed in a new class and omg this is why I LOVE teaching. The kids are better the mentor teacher is better. Feedback is appropriate. There is no attitude, I am comfortable giving ideas and I am free to do my thing in the classroom without fear. I got lucky :)

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2018

Unfortunately though, the kids or colleagues aren't always better. So I think it's great to get both experiences. But that's awesome. Good luck.

4. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Nov 9, 2018

That is true. In this situation however, the kids picked up off of the way the teacher talked to me and treated me so they felt like it was okay to do the same.
    However, What did surprise me was that she did not tell them I was leaving so they all saw me with a new class and got really upset. I had written them a goodbye letter thanking them for everything they taught me so I was upset that that was trashed.

These kids do not have the best home life and after talking to teachers, this group of kids needs attachment. So it hurt me to see how I was cut from the class without warning to them. I love seeing them in the cafeteria and they run up and hug me even the boys who kept me up at night trying to find ways to connect and work with.

However, my new group of students are better behaved and more around the age I want to teach. I do know that not every class will be like this one and I am aware but I feel like for my first time student teaching it was a hard class to have.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 9, 2018

My principal often says that students run to the relationship (she literally had a student bolt out of a court hearing and run to her office, where the police were waiting). In your case, it is clear that you made an impact on some young lives, and I know you will be an asset to any school community.

6. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Nov 10, 2018

I am so very happy for you!

Hokiegrad1993 likes this.