Up for a position and very nervous!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Anonymous Barbie, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Mar 18, 2017

So, a little background. I have a BA and an MEd, and have three years teaching experience. I moved out of state from a very populated, southern city where there were 5 school systems within a reasonable driving distance. Now that I'm in a more rural area, there are a few schools 45 minutes from me, and one about 6 minutes away. It snows half the year, so the 45 minute drives don't sound too appealing to me, so for employment, my only real viable option is this local school.

It's a great school system, comparable to my last in all but graduating class size (going from about 1000 kids per grade to about 100 kids per grade). However, that means that there are fewer positions, and not much turnover.

I've been subbing at this school for the whole school year, and have gotten many requests from teachers to be their sub. I leave business cards on their desk after every job, which give my qualifications. I provide in-depth reports. I would say as a sub, I have earned a good reputation.

As luck would have it, there's a position in my field that's opened up at the high school. The principal and one of the administrators personally sought me out to tell me about the position, because they knew I taught that subject and wanted to have me apply. I sat with the principal and talked about the position in a kind of informal meeting. He said they'll be setting up interviews in a few weeks.

I would really love to have this job. It's the subjects I always wanted to teach back home but was never given the opportunity to because competition was so high, and the school ran on seniority (the principal here has actually told me that teachers get classes there because of merit!). Given that 1) I have a BA in the subject and a masters in education, 2) I have earned a good reputation as a sub (the kids tell me they like me), 3) the principal sought me out to talk to me, 4) it's a rural area so there aren't likely to be people with my qualifications already living here who are looking for a job, does it sound like the administration might be seriously considering me for the position?

I haven't been this excited about an opportunity in a long time.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Mar 18, 2017

Did he as you to submit your application? It certainly sounds like you may be in the right place at the right time!

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 18, 2017

Fingers and toes crossed for you! Please keep us in the loop through the process. We'll help however we can. In the meantime, make sure your resume is up to date and your references are lined up to sing your praises.

5. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Mar 20, 2017

He did ask me to submit my application and told me it expires on x date.
    All of the materials are up to date and have been submitted! Hoping this pans out for me.

catnfiddle and Leaborb192 like this.