University of Phoenix

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by snickydog, Jul 29, 2008.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 29, 2008

Has anyone taken education classes through University of Phoenix? I want to add an ELL endorsement and was wondering how their classes are.

3. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 29, 2008

I am currently working on my masters through UOP Online. I have found the classes to be very challenging. They are also quite expensive. I have enjoyed my classes so far, but the school is big on group work!

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

I did my master's and principal licensure through UOP. It's easy to get enrolled but once they have you enrolled, I feel like they "drop" you and don't offer much support. I do agree with ArizonaTchr72 that group work is a HUGE HUGE part of the programs which I find ridiculous. My main stress through both programs was my GROUP not my actual content or classes which I find to be crazy.

5. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jul 29, 2008

I took a 3 week online course a few years ago. I loved that I could work from home and at my own pace. But the class was intense and I was always on the computer or reading the course text book. We were required to write 3 papers about 3 pages in length and respond frequently posts and other classmates responses. I also enjoyed getting to know other educators from all over the U.S. The U of P course was cheaper than the the 3 week course I just finished at a local university.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2008

There's been much discussion of UOP here in the past-you could probably do a search for the threads. Ask your administrator about how well received UOP is in our area. There is a lot of 'bad press' about UOP and many districts do not look favorably upon its programs.

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

We've hired 4 new teachers from UOP within the last 2 years.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2008

...which is why I suggest asking an administrator in your local distirct- there are districts that don't look favorably on UOP- this is not my opinion, just don't want anyone to spend the $$$ and then find out that the classes won't be accepted.

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2008

Sounds like your district really has a bad taste in their mouths about UOP? It's not like that here. Curious why it's there? Will you share? It worries me that people are getting discriminated against because they've chosen a certain route. When we hire, we're looking at the person and then the choice in schools is minimal. Our teachers we've hired from UOP are great teachers.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2008

It's not necessarily just my district- UOP had difficulty getting accreditation in NJ. Here's a link to a NY Times article on UOP as well from last year:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/11/education/11phoenix.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Again, I didn't go to UOP. None of the opinions in the article are mine- just wanted to give 'fair warning' to anyone who might end up facing problems with credits or degrees not being accepted/or questioned by hiring districts. Also some districts have stipulations regarding online programs- These are questions worth asking the district for whom you work or in which you want to work.

11. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I just finished my Master of Arts in Education/Curriculum and Instruction through UOP. The classes can be very challenging and require a lot of writing. It is expensive, but it is very convenient.

12. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2008

Thanks for posting the article. I was curious what was going on with it.

13. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2008

The article was interesting and I agreed with many points. I did my master's in 99 and felt like it was pretty intense program and worked my tail off.

Recently though, I partially completed my coursework for the principal licensure and feel like I was hounded to enroll but as soon as I needed someone to talk with or help me- no one cared to listen. I am still in the same boat-fighting to get my internship hours and struggling to pay a student loan bill and can't even get my salary increase because something is screwed up on UOP end. This last year with UOP has been a pain. So, it was interesting to see that it's not too out of the ordinary. Now, I am mad that I spent all this money and it may just be worth nothing.:mad:

Sort of feels like fraud.:down: