Unique question regarding teacher certification

Discussion in 'General Education' started by joealee, Feb 10, 2018.

1. joealee

joealee Rookie

Feb 10, 2018

Hello everyone.

This is my first post, but I have read and learned quite a lot from this forum---so first let me say thank you!

A little background: I currently work as a Level 1 TA.
    I love my job, but want to finish what I need for my New York State teacher certification in secondary Social Studies.

Now here is where things get tricky, so much to the point that I haven't found out any answers regarding my situation.

I currently have a Master's in Education and a B.A. in History. I started on a path to certification in an M.A.T. program, in which I did four months of student teaching (my program required a full year). At the halfway point of student teaching I had to leave this program (on good terms) to take care of an ill family member. This would not allow me to finish my M.A.T. program. However, I was determined to finish my Master's degree online while attending to my family responsibilities, so I switched from the M.A.T. program to the Master's in Education program at the same school. This way most of my MAT classes transferred over and I could at least get my Master's by finishing the classes/final project online. It is important to note though that the program I switched to is NOT a certification program, even though some of the classes are the same.

I know a Master's in Education opens up many other opportunities, but I really do want to teach, but not sure how I can complete my certification in NYS.

First, I would still have to take the certification tests. I am confident I could pass these, but can I take them now that I am done with my schooling?

Finally, since it is NYS, I need to take the edTPA. Not sure if I could do this now that I have received my degree and am out of the program.

I haven't gotten a clear answer, and I understand this is a unique situation. I actually wouldn't mind taking a class or two to get me through this, but DO NOT want to enroll in another education program if I don't have to.

In sum, I need my edTPA and certification tests, but have finished a Master's in Education.

Sincere thanks for any input and suggestions.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2018

Look into AR (alternate route) paths in the state you want to teach in. May be a benefit.

4. joealee

joealee Rookie

Feb 10, 2018

Thanks! I'll keep searching---they have many options for those without the Master's degree, but nothing for my situation. Maybe I will contact them about my situation. I just don't want them to lead me down a path to enrolling in another full program (taking many repetitive courses) just to get these few requirements if I don't have to.

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Feb 10, 2018

Wow I did the exact same thing!
    I started in a MAT program but ended up transferring to another school completely so I could finish it online.
    But I didn't know enough at the time to know that the new program didn't lead to certification.
    So i, too, am stuck with a Master's in Education without teaching license.
    I'm pretty much stuck with private schools and places that don't require a cert.
    Currently in Head Start.
    The Master's degree helps me a lot, but I'm also limited to where I can teach.
    I'm fine with this for now since I'm getting tired of teaching full-time.

The school where I completed my degree does offer a program that will allow me to take only 3 classes and do student teaching (since I already took all the other classes in that program), but I have to take those classes on campus, not online, something I can't do right now since I live in another state.
    Does your school maybe offer something similar?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 10, 2018

I rarely recommend Teach for America and similar programs, joealee, but this might be your best bet.

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2018

If you're currently a TA it actually helps because you really just need access to students.
    You absolutely can take your cert tests ANYTIME... the state doesn't care as long as you pay them $$$
    You can do edTPA you would just need to find a teacher in the school to sponsor you so you could film some lessons. You'd also PROBABLY need to get some student teaching done, which again, you should be able to find a teacher who will take you under his/ her wing. Of course you'd have to discuss it with the principal and say "I know I'm a TA, but...''
    We currently have one doing that in the district right now. She's a TA in elementary school but is working on her Art certification. She did the program YEARS ago but her license lapsed and so she has to re- do a lot of stuff including edTPA. She has a great relationship with the art teacher so will teach - -and film -- the required lessons.
    To get the cert, you would need to look up what requirements are needed for an INITIAL cert in Social Studies and then pick the right pathway. For you it might be individual. Send off your transcripts to NYS and they will evaluate them and let you know what more, if anything, you'll need:
    http://eservices.nysed.gov/teach/certhelp/CertRequirementHelp.do

So you may end up needing to take some grade specific pedagogy courses and/or doing some student teaching time.
    @joealee
    I spend A LOT of time navigating the license requirements and helping myself and friends with them. Good luck!
    :)

8. joealee

joealee Rookie

Feb 10, 2018

Thanks leaborb192. That was a very helpful post. I will contact NYS regarding my situation. What is really nice is that I have taken the aforementioned classes in my Master's as well as completing over 40 days of student teaching (it was around 60). If all goes well I may just need EAS, CST and edTPA. Workshops and fingerprinting were done as well.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2018

When dealing with NYS, get it in WRITING! I suggest calling, but emailing as well for a follow up so you can get written proof / documentation of whatever they say. Otherwise you may go round and round with these people in Albany! It's very annoying.
    Yeah and like I said, with edTPA you just need a class long enough that you can teach some classes... figure around a week's worth or so.
    Their email is TCERT@nysed.gov.

I still have an email saved from them from a few summers ago when I asked about additional certification and the required number of teaching days to get the professional cert.
    Good luck! @joealee

10. joealee

joealee Rookie

Feb 10, 2018

Thank you. I know how I had to jump through hoops just to get my Level I TA cert. from NY. I had my test scores, documentation from my workshops and fingerprinting. I gave them my college transcripts, but they also wanted high school transcripts. My high school was taking a long time getting these to me, so I called Albany and mentioned the situation, but they needed the HS transcripts. I remember telling them "well, I know you need my HS transcripts, but you have my undergrad and grad. school transcripts. It's kind of hard to get those without a high school diploma" Worked out well in the end, but I learned you have to have everything perfect for NYS.

Leaborb192 likes this.