Unemployment Insurance for Preschool Teachers?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teachpk, Jul 2, 2014.

1. teachpk

teachpk Rookie

Jul 2, 2014

Hi there. Forgive me if this is a repeat post.
    I work for a local college in their lab nursery school. I got the job not too long ago so I have not worked the entire year.

They operate for 10 months. I do not get paid over the summer. Do you think I can qualify for Unemployment Benefits over the summer? (at least next summer) I was afraid to ask my new employer since that might sound greedy.

What do you think? Does anyone else out there work for a private nursery school that operates 10 months and collects UI benefits over the summer? Thanks!

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2014

It depends. Some of the teachers are approved and some aren't. It seems to depend on the person who approves your paperwork and how hard you are willing to fight for it. Good luck.

4. teachpk

teachpk Rookie

Jul 2, 2014

When you say "person who approves paperwork", do you mean Dept of Labor agent?

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2014

Yes - whatever your state calls it. If you have a guaranteed job in the fall, some won't approve it. There doesn't seem to be consistency around here.

6. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jul 4, 2014

I can't imagine that it would be approved since you are still technically employed. I've never known anyone that has tried though. This year we have a summer program a few days a week, in past summers we have all worked other retail type jobs.

7. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Jul 9, 2014

Seems like it varies State to State? I am employed for 9 months of the year and receive unemployment during the summer. As long as I am actively seeking work and documenting that, I can receive it.

8. TrainerJoni

TrainerJoni Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

I think it varies from state to state. In some, you are eligible but in others, you may not be. it can be confusing and the easiest and best thing to do is contact your state.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 22, 2014

Don't be afraid to ask HR. If they pay into unemployment insurance, you would qualify. There are all sorts of if, ands, and buts for unemployment.

10. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Aug 16, 2014

I am very lucky here in the North West to receive unemployment benefits in the summer. I see that some states do not do this, if the person has a job to return to at the end of the summer. Sad!

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 16, 2014

I think you have to consider whether we are talking preschool, credentialed as a regular school teacher, or preschool, bordering on simple day care. In NJ, there had been a past of allowing school bus drivers to receive unemployment, and it hinged on the credential question. The state is, however, starting to tighten the restrictions, since some of them are contracted very much like the vast majority of teachers. My gut instinct is that NY will be very similar to NJ, so no. However, simply call the department of labor who handles these things, and they will explain it all to you, employer none the wiser, so no stigma.

12. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Aug 16, 2014

In our state, credentialed School teachers (not preschool teachers) are on a pro rated 12 month salary.

13. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 20, 2014

If you do not have a contract for the fall, you are unemployed and should file for unemployment. Check with your local job service for guidance. And don't be embarrassed! (If you do have a contract in the spring that is for the coming fall, you probably won't be eligible, but it doesn't hurt to check out your options.)