"Undercover High School" show

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by viola_x_wittrockiana, Jan 10, 2018.

1. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Companion

Jan 10, 2018

Anyone else watching? I found the first episode quite interesting.

For those unaware of the show, the premise is dropping seven young adults back into high school in Topeka in order to better understand adolescent issues. The adults involved have various backgrounds including at least one masters candidate in ed. and a youth pastor. The administration knows their real ages, but the teachers and students don't. It airs Tuesdays on A&E.

3. miss-m

miss-m Cohort

Jan 10, 2018

... I can't help but imagine it being something like this:
    [​IMG]

On a more serious note - it actually sounds really interesting and I'll definitely have to look it up!

Caesar753 and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 10, 2018

Sounds interesting, but I don't have cable. How young are the "young adults?" I would think that in order to be young enough to pass as a HS student, they'd have to be not that far out of HS themselves.

I do think that technology has drastically changed the things teens experience today and that many adults incorrectly assume that kids today are just going through the same issues they went through. I'm 30 and feel very fortunate to have gotten through HS just before the explosion of social media (cell phones weren't a big deal, and FB had JUST started when I graduated). I would think anyone even a few years younger than me would have a better understanding of how things really are than people my age or older, and I can definitely say I wouldn't pass for a HS student :oops:.

5. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Companion

Jan 10, 2018

The oldest participant is 26. She "disguised" herself a bit younger by putting purple streaks in her hair and taking the opportunity to get braces. The others are 21 at the youngest. They had social media accounts made for them so they wouldn't look fake to the kids, but have had an eye-opening experience using them. This school has had cyberbullying problems bad enough that students have transferred and they're trying to get to the root of it. It took all of one day for there to be negative things circulating about one of the young women.

I'm glad I got out before everyone had smartphones and got so attached to them. The iphone was barely a thing and maybe 10 people in my 2000+ school had them. Myspace was about as used as FB, and I wasn't allowed to have either, nor did I have my own computer to use them. I definitely still look young enough, even to be a freshman. The salesperson and pizza guy poll says 14-16 and I easily blended in with my junior high students - NOT a good thing.

6. Obadiah

Obadiah Habitué

Jan 11, 2018

Awhile back, Tony Danza applied to be a high school teacher, and a few years ago published a memoir of his experience. I think it was also A&E that asked him if they could film it as a reality show. According to his book, overall, it was a positive experience for both himself and the students and he still keeps in contact and mentors some of the students. I've never seen the program, but I would highly recommend the book--very interesting reading.

Book: Danza, Tony. I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had: My Year as a Rookie Teacher at Northeast High.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Jan 11, 2018

Interesting. I know for a fact that when I was 26 I could have passed as a 16 year old (I got carded until I was 38 LOL) so I can see how some people would get away with it. Maybe I can find it online since I don't have cable either.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Jan 11, 2018

I always meant to watch that show but never got a chance.

9. miss-m

miss-m Cohort

Jan 11, 2018

As a 26 year old who still passes for 16.... I regularly got stopped in high schools whenever I subbed and walked into "out of bounds" areas. I got stopped in a middle school once, too, but that was a few years ago (which maybe makes it better?). I guess I can see 21 year olds definitely passing for 17 or 18 though.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2018

I wonder how they were able to film in the school without prior permission from every single parent. Are all the other students blurred out?

11. miss-m

miss-m Cohort

Jan 11, 2018

Just watched the first episode - before bringing in the "undercover" students, they had told the school/students that they'd be filming the school for another type of show about daily life in a high school. The cameras had been there for a while to get everyone accustomed; I'm assuming they got permission from most parents because only certain students are blurred out.

Caesar753 likes this.
  12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2018

That makes a lot of sense.

13. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Habitué

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:21 PM

I'd love to go undercover and "redo" high school! I'm almost 30 but could pass as a teen due to my baby face :rolleyes: A couple days after I turned 27, someone thought I was 17 .. not long after that, someone asked my dad what grade I was in .... :eek:
    #ReasonsWhyITeachPreschool

14. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Companion

Jan 14, 2018 at 4:09 AM

I found this show so interesting but I felt scared for the girl. I cannot believe how much high school has changed and I even graduated eight years ago.

Also to be honest I always kept out the outs of things so things may have gone on behind my back that I was not aware of.

15. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Cohort

Jan 14, 2018 at 4:14 PM

I understand your pain miss-m. It happens to me all the time except I’m 25 and am frequently told that I look 14. The worst time was when I was told that I look 12...

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2018 at 5:03 PM

I hated high school, although not as much as I hated junior high, and I would never willingly go back as a student.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Jan 15, 2018 at 6:45 AM

I've had several nightmares where I was in high school and forgot my locker combination, forgot my homework, etc. I like being a teacher much more than being a student LOL

18. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 15, 2018 at 10:22 AM

Brought to you by the people who put people in prison “undercover”, for their other show I won’t watch.