Ummmmm.........

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Oct 7, 2013.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 7, 2013

I hope I don't get a lot of enemies for asking this, but is there anyone who actually likes the common core standards better? Granted, I teach the extensions of the common core, but I actually like these a lot better than the other standard course of study. Perhaps that's just because more work was done to decide what would be adapted from the regular standards for my kids. Before, it was done in a generic way.

I am loving them. Please don't kill me. :whistle:

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2013

I really like that the common core math standards are narrower and deeper. Before, our state standards for math were a mile wide and an inch deep.

I'm still not sure on the language ones...

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2013

I see a lot of potential good in the standards. A huge portion of our students are transient. It would be amazing if we got a student in November who was in about the same place at his or her old school. It would also be wonderful if the student who moved to our state wouldn't have to worry about a second set of graduation tests.

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2013

The CCSS for 6-12 History/Social Studies are very vague compared to Maryland's VSCs (the state standards). The CCSS are only about teaching general literacy and writing skills without any specific context. Maryland's VSCs are very content specific for each grade/course which I find more helpful.

In Maryland, American Gov't is the only tested social studies course at the secondary level. Since I don't teach American Gov't, I really don't care either way in regards to what standards we use.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 7, 2013

I like the CCSS for ELA 6-12 better than the ones we had before. I like they are more skill-based instead of content-based.

7. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Oct 7, 2013

I like the concept of the standards, but I'm really worried about how implementation is going to look.

8. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Oct 7, 2013

I began my education program as the state curriculum was being phased out and the common core phased in, so I have no experience with the NC Standard Course of Study. I LOVE the changes to the social studies curriculum with the essential standards at the middle grades level. Honestly, what I teach in 4th grade math/science is the same stuff I learned in 4th grade. I'm really not seeing much difference in terms of what is being taught in the classroom ?? My fellow Republicans have lambasted it though--I still find myself asking, what are they so mad about? I wish someone would actually show me the changes from NCSCOS and CC--maybe I'm just oblivious but I don't see too much different other than shifting around concepts to a grade above or below and moving their concepts in. Someone told me CC doesn't teach that President Washington was the first president of the USA. Um, not sure where they are getting them from--because after all,how can you teach US HISTORY in 5th grade and 11th grade and not mention that?

9. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2013

^^^ The 6-12 History/Social Studies CCSS never specify that you must teach any specific content at any specific grade-level, it is all about teaching literacy skills.

When you look at the three grade levels these are broken into - 6th through 8th grade, 9th & 10th grade and 11th & 12th grade - all of the skills are pretty much the same (word-for-word) with a few extras added on as the grade increases. No content mentioned anywhere.

10. 1cubsfan

1cubsfan Companion

Oct 7, 2013

I really like the ELA common core standards for 6-12. I don't have much familiarity with the old ones.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 7, 2013

Our state is using the state standards for content, the CCSS for literacy.

12. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Oct 7, 2013

I really like teaching the Common Core. This is my second year teaching the standards in math and ELA. I especially like the math Common Core.

I think they are one or two steps in the right direction and not a panacea. Progress is always a good thing though.

13. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2013

Which is an absolute nightmare. The national social studies standards hit a major snag (or 10) in their writing over the last year. They did finally release (though not yet officially part of CCSS) as the C3 (http://www.socialstudies.org/c3). They too are content-neutral.

I've been saying this from the beginning. Content standards in social studies are way too political to ever be A) phased out or B) uniform.

All that said, I like the CCSS as an idea, I just don't like it as a set of standards necessarily. I think the implementation has been awful.

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Phenom

Oct 8, 2013

I still don't really get them, but I'm science, and so they seem to apply a little bit less for us. We do most of the things in common core anyway. Our big new thing is NGSS, which I think is awesome but I hate the way my state is doing it.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2013

I'm in TX, a state that has decided not to go with Common Core. I do like the fact that if a student moves states, that they won't have to worry about being lost/too far ahead....if it actually works the way it's supposed to.

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 8, 2013

I honestly don't see anything wrong with the 2nd grade standards. They seem challenging, yet realistic, and they're very similar to what I was doing before. The reading standards fit well with CAFE, and I really like the curriculum (Math Expressions Common Core) that we use for math.

I like that the standards don't tell teachers how to teach, so we can still make the curriculum our own, and adapt it to fit the needs of our students.

17. Ted

Ted Habitué

Oct 8, 2013

I wish I were in Texas. :)

In California, I just don't feel we're ready (at least my district) and I feel that it was pushed on us, without enough preparation.

I also am disagreeing with much of the so-called "Common Core" content I'm seeing floating around the Internet.

I like the IDEA of Common Core, just not crazy about its implementation.

18. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Oct 8, 2013

I have some issues with a few expectations, but generally I'm not in a big fuss over CC.

19. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 8, 2013

What do people mean by implementation? Are they referring to how it will be tested?

20. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2013

I can't speak for state implementation, but my district really wants us to move away from/stop using the state standards - for whatever reason.:rolleyes:

I think the CCSS are better for certain teachers, teaching certain subjects.

21. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2013

This is what I was trying to say/get at; I think they do not work well for teaching secondary social studies.

Thanks for the link/info.