Ugh....so many Temp positions :(

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by alp123, May 18, 2018.

1. alp123

alp123 Companion

May 18, 2018

Is it me or has anyone else noticed all the temp positions? I'm finishing up a Temp position at an amazing school. My P wants to hire me, but there are no openings. Schools are losing positions at this district..I just wish I could get a probationary job. Many of the jobs in my area and other counties are temp jobs. Am I missing something?? I'm in California.

Feeling discouraged. :(

3. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

May 19, 2018

You and me both! I know how you feel. I too am noticing the same thing...not sure why.

I hate to say it - but I’m getting so discouraged I’m honestly wondering if I need to start thinking about getting into a different industry.

Anyway- sorry I can’t be more encouraging!

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 19, 2018

Most of our teaching jobs start as term/temp positions. There are only 2 kinds of contracts in our province: term or permanent. Term positions give everyone involved the chance to make sure it’s a good fit. Most new teachers do at least 2 terms before getting a permanent offer.

Also, divisions need to be able to protect the permanent employees, so they keep term positions in case of layoffs/ budget reductions.

5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 19, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  6. pommom

pommom Comrade

May 19, 2018

I am noticing more teacher subject/coach positions. Bunch of positions with coaching attached to title. So, I can't even apply to them b/c of the coach.
    I am not noticing the temp positions here in South TX.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 19, 2018

We don't often have positions posted as temp, but in reality they all are because they are all one-year contracts.

I took a temp job one year. The teacher who left the position was going overseas to teach for a year. I'm still in that position 20+ years later because when someone takes a leave, they are told they can return to a position, but not necessarily their old position. I kept her position, and she was given another one, and another teacher was let go.

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 19, 2018

What’s your credential in? Is it in STEM, ESL, SPED, or a foreign language?

I actually love the temp positions over the permanent positions because I don’t plan on switching from my current school and I can work during the summer and leave at the end with no strings attached. To clarify, summer-school teachers are paid $50/hr where I live and work like 6 hours a day for 4 days a week. That means I can make an extra $4,800/month for 2 months (or $9,600 in total). I love it!

The added benefit is that I am qualified to teach at the local community college and will teach a night class in the next few weeks so I can make even more money. I was elated when I found this out last summer because they said all I need was prior teaching experience, good references, a Bachelors degree in Mathematics and a Masters degree in Mathematics Education. I have all of those and so I was floored.

If you have a Masters degree, you might want to look into whether you can teach at a community college!

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  9. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

May 19, 2018

The teacher shortage is real. Where I live this is the first year where it was difficult to find teachers. In fact some teachers are not being released after the contract date because it is difficult to have a replacement.

10. a2z

a2z Maven

May 19, 2018

In reality, there is not a true teacher shortage. There are plenty of credentialed teachers to go around. There is a shortage in certain areas. In other areas there are 30+ applicants per open position and many more for more popular subjects such as history.

So, there is a shortage of teachers willing to move to where the jobs are.

bella84, pommom and futuremathsprof like this.
  11. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

May 19, 2018

You are right about teachers moving to those areas. I'll admit that I probably didn't take the time to write my post as well as I should have. Yes, there are teacher shortages in many areas and I live in one now. Wasn't like that several years ago.

12. alp123

alp123 Companion

May 19, 2018

I'm multiple subject-elementary with middle school English authorization. I was hired to fill in for a teacher who went on maternity leave in December, but she is returning next school year. My contract ends June 5th. This school is awesome but the district keeps saying because of "low enrollment" they have to eliminate positions so teachers are being shuffled around. And many academic coach positions are being eliminated, so they have to be placed. I hope the fact that I didn't get hired doesn't look like a non-renewel. Anyone know? I was hired as a Temp. and received outstanding observations. My P wrote me an amazing lor. Rumor has it that the board is only going to hire 1 multiple subject teacher next year as of a week ago. But, that can change. I have a MA in education so I'm not sure what I'm qualified to teach at a cc.

13. alp123

alp123 Companion

May 19, 2018

Where do you live?

14. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

May 19, 2018

Nebraska

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 20, 2018

In Texas, many big districts have made the news as they’re laying off several hundred teachers each. Several smaller districts around me have not always filled teachers who leave or retire for the past four or five years as our funding is messed up.

16. alp123

alp123 Companion

May 20, 2018

Sorry to hear that. Fortunately, I haven't heard of any layoffs...but definitely more Temp jobs. :(

17. pommom

pommom Comrade

May 21, 2018

Yes, in TX I am noticing the big districts holding off. The small districts do not have positions I am looking for.