typical development and atypical development

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Picasso, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Picasso

Picasso Rookie

Sep 12, 2012

I am supposed to prepare a workshop for the teachers in an EC program about typical and atypical development for infants and toddlers. what are some ways that i can use to make this an enjoyable yet an engaging workshop.

any ideas and resources would be appreciated

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2012

You must have some expertise in this area to have been chosen as a presenter. What have you already planned?

4. Picasso

Picasso Rookie

Sep 12, 2012

using developmental checklists like the one in HELP and observing a group of children, watching a video clips and talk about them. I am still preparing and i need more ideas?

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2012

Break them into small groups with a large cutout of a baby or toddler and have them list what they think is typical development for ____ age and then atypical or characteristics that would be worrisome. Have them come back to share these before you do your presentation.

Or do a prairie fire - ask a quick question and pass a baby around - they have to give an answer when they get the baby.

Do a 4 corners - ask a multiple choice question and they go to the corner they think is the anwer.

Print out the checklists for different ages and they have to try to sort them into the correct age.

Fill the diaper - have them list developmental problems they have observed on brown paper and put them in the diaper for you to pull out and discuss (just thought about this one - haven't done it before but it sounds fun).

Grafitti wall - to check for understanding - have them list 3 things they learned on a big piece of butcher paper.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 13, 2012

Another fun thing might be to have baby dolls/child dolls in different areas. Even pictures of these ages of child. Then have snippets of developmental charts, just the snippets, no identifiable indicators as to the chart of origin. Have the attendees try to place the snippet with the right doll/pic. They might be amazed at the discrepancies....since they are "on the front lines" so to speak.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 13, 2012

awwww, scmom....you beat me to the punch!