Two part question from a soon-to-be Kindergarten teacher

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Teaching Grace, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2011

Any help from ya'll would be fabulous!

#1- What is your "I-can't-live-without-this-item" in your classroom?

#2- What is a must-have book to use in your Kindergarten classroom?

I'm trying to gather materials for next year. I'm coming from third so I have a lot of things already but want to see what Kinder-specific items I might want to start looking for :) Thanks for any and all help and ideas!

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 11, 2011

Smiles! Happiness and Joy! And Laughter are all necessities in kindergarten!
    Music and Movement! brain breaks! Absolute must do! Need! Some music to wiggle and move to! Get those kids up and moving! Each table has a color coded caddy with color coded bins inside for crayons, pencils, glue, scissors, fine motor clips, and more crayons. That is a lifesaver and a book bin for each table that stays there all year- I add and move books though.

As for books- hmm, well Rainbow Fish for beginning of the year activities and lessons. The Kissing Hand for the beginning of the year and Celebrate Your Amazing Achievements for the end of the year. Professional books- hmm, I do enjoy having the mailbox magazine for quick and easy craft ideas to do with book buddies and to randomly pull from for BSW or use as assessment sheets.

I will add more as I think...

4. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Apr 11, 2011

I can't live without individual whiteboards.

My kids' favorite books are Caps For Sale and One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish. I can't even count how many times I read those in a year.

Professional books: Castle in the Classroom, Designs for Living and Learning, Already Ready (writing), The Daily 5, Building the Primary Classroom

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 11, 2011

I am loving Talking, Drawing, Writing Lessons for Our Youngest Writers
    My kids love Caps for Sale too.
    We also enjoy Greg and Steve the books that they sing the words to- it is called sing and learn I think. They beg for them.
    We love shaving cream, sand, and paint bags for writing words and numbers and playing!
    Whiteboards are great- very useful. I wish I had a class set of clipboards. We use lots of sticky notes- I beg parents for those. But I am going to buy some over the summer when the huge sales are on.

6. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Apr 11, 2011

#1 I love my dry erase teaching easel and my individual white boards for the kids. The kids use the little white boards almost everyday for both math and reading. I use the big easel for practically everything. It is on wheels and has storage tubs underneath. I can't imagine not having it.

#2 That is a tough one because I have SO many books. It really depends on what time of year it is. In the beginning of the year I use Chicka Chicka Boom Boom ABC, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom 123 Books to introduce letters and numbers. My kids also love the Alphabet Mystery, Alphabet to the Rescue, and Alphabet Adventure at the beginning of the year.

**As far as toys, get some Legos. I have taught K for 15 years and I am still using the same box of legos that the teacher before me bought. They never go out of style and both the girls and boys love them. They are the number one table toy every year.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 11, 2011

My dry erase easel was easily my must have. It has wheels and I used it all over the room. On the other side of it was a place to hang chart paper (also a must and supplied by my school). Ironically I didn't order it. The teacher before me did and about half way through the year it came and it was by my side after that. I like our individual white boards too. I also can't live without our Reading Recovery (they have a website) magnetic letters. They are proportioned correctly. For example, in many sets the h has a shorter stick than it should. Storage is also important. That means different things in different rooms. In my room I used clear shoe size plasticware with lids to store different materials above the cabinet until I needed them. Good games are a must but that's stuff you buy over time.

A well-equipped room is very nice indeed and really you need a lot of stuff in Kindergarten but you'd be surprised at how you find stuff to make the imagination centers, etc. A lot of stuff students even made as we set them up. An empty box covered with some material becomes a restaurant table. It's okay if it isn't the real deal.

As far as books.... I liked using Eric Carle books and Laura Numeroff for author studies and such.

My favorite was a set of books that I couldn't recall the title at the moment. They were books I chose because they retold popular stories with wolves in them. I just happened to have a wolf costume with granny clothing on it. It was such a fun thing to do. One year I had a mouse visit our room and it wouldn't leave so we named him Speedy and I read a lot of books that had a mouse as a character. It just depends. It is a good idea to get a good book list going though because sometimes finding that perfect book each week was the part that was hard. But you not only need to know the titles, you need to know a little bit about the books and what kinds of things you teach using this book. A lot of cross-application can occur if you do that.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 12, 2011

I made a book of songs I had found online and divided them up by holidays, math, science, etc. You can't lose if you teach it in a song!;)

Books: I love Molly Lou Melon (about being yourself even if you sing like a frog or have buckteeth).

A Place Called Kindergarten-the animals on the farm where the boy lives are all guessing what Kindergarten could be-too cute.

Chrysanthemum-lends itself to so many name activities.

9. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Apr 20, 2011

My #1 item is a repertoire of great fun songs that I keep adding to!

Books: Green Eggs and Ham, Swimmy by Leo Lionni, Elmer by David McKee, Rainbow Fish (etc) by Marcus Pfister, What Will the Weather Be Like Today?

SwOceanGal, Loved your post!! :D

10. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Apr 23, 2011

My MUST have is a cd player or mp3 player... we listen to SO much music I have to have something sturdy, reliable, and close by at all times.

As for books - I'd buy a Donald Crews collection - his books are used a LOT in my classroom for read alouds and to model writing too. :D