tutoring ideas

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by teach2020, Nov 28, 2007.

1. teach2020

teach2020 Rookie

Nov 28, 2007

So, hopefully someone can help me. I volunteered to do tutoring after school for my grade-level (4th) in reading. Granted, it's my first year to teach and I'm not sure what to do with the kids that won't bore them to tears. Are there reading games that deal with the main idea, summarizing, facts, etc? Any good books that I could share with them? I don't want to too many TAKS (we're in Texas) passages.... they get enough of those in class... Please, someone help me with fun ideas?

Thanks!!!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2007

My coop teacher while I was student teaching had a cause/effect game along with a fact/opinion game. I can't remember the company name. I want to say they have games for all those that you mentioned. Try amazon.com and search for games.

4. Miss Dove

Miss Dove Rookie

Nov 28, 2007

I have some great games that I used once in a while during tutoring. They were inference, comparing and contrasting, main idea, etc. Do you have a teacher store in your area? That's where I found the games. If you have a class catalog such as Classroom Direct, you can find them in there also.
    My students greatly enjoyed these games as an enhancement to the tutoring program.
    Good luck!

5. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Nov 29, 2007

I really like the resources from http://www.readinga-z.com/ . It is a paid site, but they have a ton of guided reading books, poems, graphic organizers, fluency passages, etc.

I also have used some of the games from Lakeshore Learning. They have some neat games for reading. http://www.lakeshorelearning.com

6. Honey1021

Honey1021 Rookie

Nov 29, 2007

When I tutored I used magazines and newspapers to do main idea. The kids loved it b/c they got to read something more than the normal book and they could always find a high interest article in the paper or magazine. If you do this though be sure to screen the paper and remove any articles that might not be apprpriate for them. I let the boys use the sports section a lot and the girls I tutored usually loved the celebrity news (I made sure it was appropriate). After they could write summaries of the articles I would start having them write tehir own articles based on what was happening in the school, i.e. boys basketball team wins, 4th grade Christmas play a hit.

7. teach2020

teach2020 Rookie

Nov 29, 2007

whew...

Thanks for all of your great ideas... I'm going to try and use some of them for next week. :) There is a teacher store where I live so I'll try there too.