Turtle wax

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teaching Grace, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

For all the other teachers who have gone out to get the showerboard to make individual white boards out of it, i just read something on another post. You actually have to wipe those boards down with turtle wax so that the kids can write on them and erase it. Has anyone not waxed their boards and used them? Did they still work? Has anyone else heard this before about the turtle wax?

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

Yes I did for all of last year, what happens is your black and red pens leave a slimy residue. I used the white board cleaner to get it off, but it left a shadow stain, where the board looked white but not as white as the others. I will try the turtle was to see if I can solve that issue. Otherwise I use a ton of white board cleaner and that stuff is $5 for like a 4.5 oz bottle!

4. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 16, 2007

I just read about the Turtle wax tip. I've used the showerbaords without it. They get dingy quickly, but not too terrible. I am going to try the turtle wax though.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I really swear by the turtle wax. My boards held up nicely all year last year, and we used them very frequently. I did give them a spray with some Windex around Christmas to keep them nice, but that was it.

6. Teaching Grace

Jul 16, 2007

yep, my boyfriend is going to cut the shower board for me... so much cheaper than having the store do it. anyways, i told him about the turtle wax. he said we'd test writing on it without the wax and then use goop-off or something like that to clean it and then wax it if need be.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Are you sure you can't get the boards cut for free? The stores around here do it for free.

8. Teaching Grace

Jul 16, 2007

Yep. There was a huuuuuuge sign posted right near the showerboard that said that the first two cuts were free and after that it's like 25 cents a cut after that. My boyfriend has a table saw. 20 minutes and i'll have individual boards for my students.

9. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

Your lucky that you have a boyfriend to do that for you. There was the same sign last year when I got mine, but when I told them I was a teacher, they cut it for free.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 16, 2007

I know that Lowes and Home Depot will cut them for free around here.

I was told by a representative of Vis-a-Vis that the LOW ODOR markers are the WORST--especially, as someone mentioned, the red and black.

If you can stand it, get the regular markers.

11. Teaching Grace

Jul 16, 2007

I guess I should have tried that. But my boyfriend doesn't like hand-outs.. course that was then and now several weeks later, after he's seen how much i've spent on stuff for my classroom... he's a little bit more open to discounts :)

12. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

I am looking into going to Home Depot to get the shower board. Is that that exact name of what I need to ask for when I go there? What size do you usually get them cut into? Im going to have my boyfriend cut them for me as well but I'm not sure what size to make them- I'm think 9x11 or something.
    What do you do with the edges of them after the are cut? Do they get sharp where the kids can cut themselves or should I sand them down?

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Mine were cut into 15x20ish rectangles, I think. I really think just about any size will do just fine.

The edges aren't sharp at all but they can leave little shavings. If you want to you can sand them down with regular old sandpaper. I didn't and my kids don't mind the shavings.

14. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

Mine are 12x12 squares. I put electrical tape around the edges, but if I had it to do over again, I would have left them raw. The tape makes the boards stick together when I stack them.

15. Sweet2Teach

Sweet2Teach Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Hi! Last week I went to Home Depot and got the shower boards cut. The first guy I talked to said that I only get 2 cuts and the rest would cost me (even after I told him I am a teacher). I finished my shopping and went back to get the cuts and a lady helped me and she said the extra cuts would be free! She also said that the charge is for people who have 200+ cuts!! So I was relieved, but the guy did come back over and said you are charging her for those cuts right?? But they did not charge me:D They messed up a couple of cuts (I ended up with 25 1x1 boards) and so they gave them to me for $4.01 vs. the original $9.50:D