Trying to Make Connections

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Anonymous425, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Sep 18, 2018

Right now I'm trying to make connections at schools so I get asked back. This includes giving teachers my business card and thanking them for having me. I am really hoping I get asked back soon. This hasn't happened since my first week of subbing so I'm feeling discouraged.

Lately, I have tried to remind myself it has only been a month since school started. That is why I've been at "random" schools everyday. Altogether, I have worked at 21 schools in the last few months.

I'm also hoping my home district will hire me as a sub. (I have almost given up hope on that though because I have applied multiple times.) If I was hired, this would mean more opportunities, but I'd have to start over.

Anybody have any suggestions for me?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  3. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Sep 18, 2018

Around here, subs sign up for jobs online as they come up. Do you have access to a portal for your school district?

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Sep 18, 2018

Our subs pick their own jobs through Aesop, whether it's daily or long term.
    Schools can request certain subs through it if that sub is available, but generally, subs pick the school and class they want to sub for as it comes up.

5. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Sep 18, 2018

Yes. I actually have plenty of jobs. I just want to be able to start to make connections so I can have references and get long term positions.

6. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Sep 18, 2018

We use Aesop, but I can't choose a long term position easily. The sub coordinator will post about a long term position and then we will have to call a principal about it. There have only been a few available so far though.

7. flairpen

flairpen Rookie

Sep 18, 2018

We call our own subs at my school. The teachers at my school often choose subs based on conversations they have had while they're in for someone else. Be pleasant and people will suggest you when they need someone.

Personally, I always invite back people who don't deviate from the instructions I have left (it's fine if you only get through 10% of the work, but please teach it in the way that I have written). If the kids liked a sub, I always try and get them back again too.

8. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Sep 18, 2018

Thank you for your suggestions. I try to introduce myself at lunch as much as I can unless I would be interrupting someone's conversation.

And in regards to making sure we teach according to plan, sometimes I don't know if I should try to finish everything or not. But I'm guessing sometimes the teachers give me extra in case we get done early.

9. flairpen

flairpen Rookie

Sep 18, 2018

Maybe we're just a friendly bunch, but teachers at my school go out of their way to introduce themselves to new people. We need you just as much! My school hires new teachers from guest teachers, so it's a great way to get into a school.

I always leave extra stuff so my guest teacher isn't left hanging with time at the end of the day. I wouldn't worry about getting through everything.

10. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Sep 18, 2018

I like when teachers introduce themselves to me too. If they're friendly, I will want to come back. :)

flairpen likes this.
  11. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 18, 2018

I think it sounds like you would really thrive in a full time position. :)
    If you feel disconnected, why don't you leave a positive note? (Like, I loved the poster you had as reference for the students concerning civilization. It was helpful! Or I loved the way you laid everything out for me. Or, I was sorry to hear you were sick. My thoughts/prayers/wishes are for your speedy recovery. Your class is really well run, the students know the routines.) Or even send a followup email the following day. "Were there any questions about yesterday that I left unanswered?" In leaving the positive note, you might find that you feel more connected whether they respond or not. Sounds like you are doing things right. :)

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 20, 2018

These are some things I've done when I was subbing and they worked (I was booked 2 months ahead of time, 90 % of the time)
    - when you have a prep period, go to the office and ask them if they need any help with filing, copying or anything or if they know a teacher might need help - trust me, they will remember you
    - always say hi and introduce yourself to the neighboring teachers
    - eat your lunch in the teacher lounge. Be social but don't butt in conversations. Ask if you can leave our business cards there (they often have bulletin boards)
    - if you do have your teaching credential, make sure you tell the teachers. A lot of subs don't, and teachers will favor a sub who has their credential.
    - always leave positive notes, even if you had a rough day. Don't vent and don't complain.
    - in your notes thank them for having you and let them know that you would love to come back. Leave your contact info and your card.

13. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Sep 28, 2018

Thank you. :) I will make sure I keep saying positive things.

14. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Sep 28, 2018

That's awesome! It would be cool to be scheduled that far in advance.

And thank you for your suggestions. I'll try to remember to introduce myself to the other grade level teachers if I can.

15. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:41 AM

My first year of subbing was when I began trying to make connections. First of all, I decided I only wanted to work High School, so I only ever "picked up" high school jobs. I also created 1/2 page documents like this that I would print and leave one for the teachers (this is my new revision on the right). I printed them on cardstock, found directions for turning them into a tearable notepad with hot glue, and used them. It got me so many call backs and I stayed booked 90% of the time.

Now, (three years later) I was offered a full time floating building sub last year and I took it. This means, I have a guaranteed job each day school is in session, if I want it. After several years, I have not gotten a single bad report from a teacher and they all love me/specially request me. I do my best to learn or refresh myself on the material I will be working on that day (even if it is just a simple google search before class starts). I want to seem knowledgeable to students and teachers.

Be pleasant, thankful and polite. Don't be a recluse and stay in your room during conference or lunch. I see this as a building block to my ultimate career goal, of teaching at a university. I will finish my Master's in May and hopefully move to Doctorate of Education over the summer.

Here is the paper. On the back I record any issues or absences. As you can see, there is a cut off portion for future reference with my Name, Phone # and Sub ID. I also make sure to use neon cardstock in bright colors- it just shows up.

https://i.gyazo.com/67e86a4a6560074d1d6c5b0fea9cbfa6.png

Linguist92021 likes this.
  16. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:51 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. :)

17. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:35 AM

I was just asked back to a school this morning when I was looking for jobs. :)

Joyful! likes this.
  18. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Oct 11, 2018 at 10:19 PM

Congrats!